Sign in to follow this  
jimbo

Jims tips for new summer signings if relegated

I definitely feel that we need to add a couple of young defenders to the squad cos our defence aside from Drury and Shackell is the wrong side of 30. What about Doherty? i hear you say. Well i feel that Doherty is going to leave the club in the summer. Some suggestions for new defenders are Jagielka, very unlikely though as he will be too expensive and will get snapped up by a prem club in the summer like Brum. Mickell Bischoff if he can stay fit would be a good signing. He is 6 3" and only 23. He is highly rated but has had alot of niggling injuries since he joined Man City. However the Wolves fans rated him highly when he had a loan spell earlier there this season and he may find it tough to get a regular first team spot at Man City. I reckon he could be snapped up for about £500k as city only paid 750K for him. Plus he is Danish and Worthy likes his Danes. John Halls is another good yound defender who is worth a look. Also Justin Hoyte at Arsenal might be worth a cheeky bid if he falls down the pecking order due to new summer signings at Arsenal.
I also think that Helveg will leave in the summer and possibly Eddy with the news today that his contract offer has been withdrawn. He may only get offered a 1 year deal, it all depends on how Nige and co look at things in the summmer. Do they concentrate soley on getting out of the championship or do they start planning for the next prem campaign?

In midfield we need to find a younger ball winner in the Gary Holt mould as Worhty so clearly loves a water carrier, who? I do''nt know.
Mulryne is as good as gone so he will need replacing with possibly i feel Jan Kristiansen of Esbjerg. I have spoken to a contact of mine within the NCFC Scandinavian Supporters Club and he rates Kristiansen highly, he was the Danish Superligi''s top scorer last season i think and also had one of the best assists records. He is only 23 and can play anywhere across the midfeild. We have been linked with him before and again he is Danish.Cost probably £750k
Jonson will leave in the summer IMO as he was only brought for the Prem. He could be replaced with Ritchie Partridge who we have been linked with. Partridge is a traditional right winger who has lots of pace and tricks. Quite a few Liverpool fans rate him but the managers there have always prefered to play solid midfielders ahead of him a tricky winger. He is the right age again at 25. He would probably cost about £300k.
Sidwell and Tonge are other possibilities for midfield signings if we lose McVeigh.

Up front i think Svenny will leave in the summer and although we have a good range of strikers we will lack the target man type if Ashton gets injured and that could prove costly. I would look at Helguson at Watford who is very strong in the air and who is a player Worthy admits he admires, probably cost about £1 million. Rob Hulse may also be worth a look as he is doing well at Leeds, but would WBA sell him to us and would he want to come.He would probably cost £500-750K.
One thing is for sure, any new players we bring have to be under 26 and good enough for the Prem.

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions
for new signings?

Under 26 and good enough for the prem ? we couldnt get anybody like that last summer when we were in the prem so its very unlikely we will be getting them this summer when we are in the fizzy pop.

I would have to say I like the look of your suggestions. I don''t think Svensson will be off in too much of a hurry. Jonson maybe, but he would be a very good player in the Championship. Helveg, he seems to have settled down a bit, and maybe will stick around for at least one more year. I honestly think the only players who should leave this year are the ones who are too old and can''t cut it. Admitedly, there are a few but I think you''re right in saying we should be going for young players who will mature in the solid Prem players.

Good post there Jimbo.  Agree with most of that.  I would have thought that players like Jagielka, Tonge and Sidwell would be too expensive.  However, I would like Partridge and I''ve heard excellent things about Halls.  If we could steal Gabbidon from cash strapped Cardiff it would be superb.  I''ve also been a fan of Helguson too.  He''s a handy player and usually does well against us.  I''d like us to try and get David Bellion from Man Utd on loan.  He''s not getting a game there and is a great player 

On the right side of defence we have been linked with Nyron Nosworthy, he is a product of the Gillingham academy and is a 25 year old strong 6ft odd tall player.  He would suit us very well i think.

I think Partridge would be a good signing, but to be honest, i think Worthy has got to work his magic again in the loan market if we are going to stand a chance to come up again.  Bischoff from Man City could be captured on a seasons loan.  Other names to put forward are perhaps Sean Davis from Villa, good young combative midfielder.  It really all depends on who signs who over the summer.  I mean if Blackburn add to there squad, perhaps Flitcroft may be worth a go if he is not required.

What about young Mr Bentley .... again, depending on who signs for Arsenal over the summer, he may be surplus to requirements.

We will have to wait and see who comes and goes to start, but we have had definate links with Partridge and Nosworthy.

I think Curtis Davies from luton would be a great signing, also a left midfielder if Bentley returns such as Kris Commons or Matthew Etherington. Two new centre mids will be required as Francis will go and Holt and Safri(yes Safi) just cant cut it, Nigel Reo-Coker would be a good signing. If Greeny goes I hin Lee Camp should be brught as Derby are in major debt.

P.s I have been hearing great things about Leroy Lita a tall, speedy striker for bristol city.

Pp.s If we get Justin Hoyte I''''ll eat my hat.