Sign in to follow this  
Robert Parsons

Snoddy & formation

I thought Snodgrass had a real nightmare debut. He looked slow, hesitant and uncomfortable in a wide right position. This meant that Martin was constantly exposed. Pilkington was not a lot better and Tierney faced the same defensive problems.

I was amazed that Snodgrass did not play in a more advanced central position and this left Holt completely isolated chasing shadows.

Bennett looked much more influential on the right once he came on.

If he watched all the recordings of last seasons games CH must know that Holt cannot play up front alone and I certainly hope that there is a Plan B other than the Morro and Holt pairing with long balls knocked in that we had early in the 2nd half today.

A really poor performance today. I just hope that important lessons have been learned early.

RP

You make some good points Robert.

I''m really worried that Hughton has a style of play that he wants to stick to and that this doesn''t suit the players that Lambert brought in. Lambert would set the team out to try and win every game and bought players that were attack minded. Hughton is much more defensive in his outlook and trying to set these players up playing one up front will take away all the positives they have. They simply cant defend but they can pressure teams and attack.

For instance. Tierney and Martin are forward looking full backs who create plenty of problems for the opposition. In Hughtons formation they have a bank of mid-fielders in front of them and are not expected to go forward. With that in mind the best defensive full back on the books last year was Drury who we let go.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]They simply cant defend but they can pressure teams and attack.

[/quote]

It didn´t seem like they could today, did it?

Good players don''t become bad players overnight. Snoddy is new to the formation, the coaching staff and his team mates. I''m sure he will get better.He wasn''t the only one who had a bad day at the office, and I think personal criticism of him is a little unfair.

I cant believe that we had to sit through 90 mins today to have confirmed what we already knew and what Hughton should have learned from the last 3 pre-season matches before points are at stake.

Holt cannot play up front on his own, we will not score goals playing this way. Factore in a 30 degree heat for a single striker, two paceless wingers and a central midfield 3 who between them didnt venture any further than 10 yards over the half way line and we all knew wjat would happen. It was too late when a change was made at half time.

Its time too for Hughton to answer some questions over Vaughan''s non selection since the Ajax match?!?!?!?, what the hell is going on here?|

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

I cant believe that we had to sit through 90 mins today to have confirmed what we already knew and what Hughton should have learned from the last 3 pre-season matches before points are at stake.

Holt cannot play up front on his own, we will not score goals playing this way. Factore in a 30 degree heat for a single striker, two paceless wingers and a central midfield 3 who between them didnt venture any further than 10 yards over the half way line and we all knew wjat would happen. It was too late when a change was made at half time.

Its time too for Hughton to answer some questions over Vaughan''s non selection since the Ajax match?!?!?!?, what the hell is going on here?|

[/quote]

Didn''t I read that Brum had offered half a million and Hughton said he wanted a million.

Hughton actually seems to want Vaughan out, believe it or not!

This manager is quickly becoming a liability. Very quickly.

However, as others have said, it''s early days and everybody will need time. I am worrying though. 

4-5-1/4-4-1-1 is a perfectly workable formation but you have to allow the midfielders the flexibility to join in with the attacks and provide options for the man in possession.

Our midfield appeared to have been ordered to park their collective bus a few yards in front of the defence and stay put and leave Holty to nick one if he could. And when Moro came on, the midfield tactics remained the same. Just an extra body standing 20 yards further forward than the one it replaced, but with everyone else doing the same thing that already wasn''t working.

This thread has formation in the title so i''ll put my main thought here.

As with last season we should be trying to win every game, home and away. Often one up top didn''t really work. So really I just find myself thinking one thing over and over:

Mike Bassett''s "Four-Four-*@£$&*!-Two"

Appreciate Hughton wants do his own thing etc but we always looked more threatening with two strikers, and though i''m not majorly worried at this stage, a result and some goals against QPR wouldn''t go amiss.

OTBC

[quote user="Robert Parsons"]I thought Snodgrass had a real nightmare debut. He looked slow, hesitant and uncomfortable in a wide right position. This meant that Martin was constantly exposed. Pilkington was not a lot better and Tierney faced the same defensive problems. I was amazed that Snodgrass did not play in a more advanced central position and this left Holt completely isolated chasing shadows. Bennett looked much more influential on the right once he came on. If he watched all the recordings of last seasons games CH must know that Holt cannot play up front alone and I certainly hope that there is a Plan B other than the Morro and Holt pairing with long balls knocked in that we had early in the 2nd half today. A really poor performance today. I just hope that important lessons have been learned early. RP[/quote]

Points above are quite right.

To jump on CH''s back after just one result (albeit dire performance for 70 mins.) is stupidity - look back at the posts when CH was appointed. It was universally applauded  by 99% of fans. Those criticising him now should take a long hard look in the mirror! 

Having said that, though, the manager MUST do two things:

1. We do NOT have the players to play 4-5-1, 4-4-1-1 or any other kind of fancy (sorry, ''flexible'' system). Holt or Morro as the single striker is doomed to failure. We need two up front to stand any chance of causing defenders problems. That was proved time and time last season. For other systems to work you need at least two ''midfielders'' who you absolutely KNOW will get you 10 goals + (minimum). We do not have them - simple.

2. Snodgrass is a LEFT footed player so why the hell is he wide right!! Same goes for Pilkington who is esentially RIGHT footed but plays left side! Yes, by playing them on the other flank they can cut in and get the ball on their ''favoured'' foot but this at the expense of losing natural width and losing the ability to go down the outside of the full back, getting to the byeline and whipping in traditional, quality crosses that forwards love and defenders hate Its'' simple -''square pegs in square holes''!

Address these two items and you''ll see a different team with more pace, natural width and two strikers with crosses to feed off.   

[quote user="BroadstairsR"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

Didn''t I read that Brum had offered half a million and Hughton said he wanted a million.

Hughton actually seems to want Vaughan out, believe it or not!

This manager is quickly becoming a liability. Very quickly.

However, as others have said, it''s early days and everybody will need time. I am worrying though. 

[/quote]

He removed one option by loaning out Ayala and now wants to remove another. He is clearly incompetent if he wants to rid us of Vaughan after a

5-0 defeat.   

Just can''t fathom why Elliott Bennett is not one of the first names on the team sheet. Has pace, can cross and worries defenders. He is also a much better defensive screen for Martin. The same was true to a lesser extent last season under PL.

Bennett picked up a knock in training. To give CH his dues with Pilks already carrying a knock and Wes not fit enough to start I can see the logic in him not starting yesterday whilst there was a question mark.

["Gnasher"]This thread has formation in the title so i''ll put my main thought here.

As with last season we should be trying to win every game, home and away. Often one up top didn''t really work. So really I just find myself thinking one thing over and over:

Mike Bassett''s "Four-Four-*@£$&*!-Two"

Appreciate Hughton wants do his own thing etc but we always looked more threatening with two strikers, and though i''m not majorly worried at this stage, a result and some goals against QPR wouldn''t go amiss.

OTBC

Very true!

One upfront is a waste of time and I said exactly the same thing last season. One upfront is designed in order to have an extra bloke in midfield who can help with the defendign but in reality all it does is nullify the attack and increase the pressure on the defence!

Although I''m glad we signed Snodgrass and think he''ll be an asset, yesterday we looked better after he went of casue we had more pace and were attacking more!