Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Let's all overreact!!!!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Calm down morons!!!  Fulham put 5 past Newcastle last season, they can do it to good sides at Craven Cottage.  Hughton''s the man, he fills me with lots of confidence.  We''ll finish top 10[:)][Y][/quote]

Cheers! And on that note I''ll hit the sack, avoiding motd and further depression..

Well, as ever, I won''t be overreacting. But...

For me the warning signs were there in the friendlies. The Bennett and Turner partnership wasn''t giving me a lot of confidence after the BM friendly In my opinion, the early signs on them is that we''ve paid a lot of money for minor, if any, improvement. Russell Martin is not a great fullback in the Premiar League and Tierney is a long time out of competitive football.

Obviously going 4 games without scoring a goal tells its own story too. We''re not playing to our strengths going forward. In particular, we''re not playing to the strengths of Grant Holt. I think a lot of people misunderstand what it is that Holt does best and I''m a little worried Hughton is making the same mistake. Holt is not a great target man/focal point. He is a great goal scorer. A penalty box player. Put the ball in the box and he will get you a goal, that is what he is all about. Unfortunately the way we''re playing is leaving our midfield too far away from him and giving us too much work to do to get the ball to him in dangerous areas.

We''ve still got a lot of good players at this club but we didn''t look ready when the ref blew the whistle at the end of the BM friendly and a week later we''re still not ready.

Over the next week we need to get a lot, lot better and that will mean the manager having a rethink on how he wants us to play.

Having just seen it again on MOTD I have got to say the way Turner made no effort, gave up on and turned away from Petric''s long range strike was actually quite disgusting.

Very, very unhapppy with that. You don''t do that.

[quote user="GJP"]

Well, as ever, I won''t be overreacting. But...

For me the warning signs were there in the friendlies. The Bennett and Turner partnership wasn''t giving me a lot of confidence after the BM friendly In my opinion, the early signs on them is that we''ve paid a lot of money for minor, if any, improvement. Russell Martin is not a great fullback in the Premiar League and Tierney is a long time out of competitive football.

Obviously going 4 games without scoring a goal tells its own story too. We''re not playing to our strengths going forward. In particular, we''re not playing to the strengths of Grant Holt. I think a lot of people misunderstand what it is that Holt does best and I''m a little worried Hughton is making the same mistake. Holt is not a great target man/focal point. He is a great goal scorer. A penalty box player. Put the ball in the box and he will get you a goal, that is what he is all about. Unfortunately the way we''re playing is leaving our midfield too far away from him and giving us too much work to do to get the ball to him in dangerous areas.

We''ve still got a lot of good players at this club but we didn''t look ready when the ref blew the whistle at the end of the BM friendly and a week later we''re still not ready.

Over the next week we need to get a lot, lot better and that will mean the manager having a rethink on how he wants us to play.

[/quote]

Thank God someone else agrees with me too! You''ll be saying Snoddy would be better off on the left wing next....

[quote user="baldyboy"]well didnt you just know it!! after a horrid result today we get the relegated already, sack Hughton etc calls and posts!! Jeez, its ONE game people!!! Remember what happened THREE seasons ago after we got humped on the first day!!! I know we changed the manager after that game but its not the right thing to do with hughton!! He will have learnt all about what a job he has today, more than in the friendlies!! If we are struggling after 8 games then we need to worry!!![/quote]

So, people over react about a team they care about?

Does Xmas surprise you every year too?

To be fair City weren''t "chasing the game" they were randomly moving around at a moderate pace with clueless leadership, lack of passion, pride and suspect fitness levels. 32C temp = BS excuses - we simply are not good enough - far worse than the FIFA 95 team on the Mega Drive. Time to sign Rankin if he''s still around.

No two ways about it, yesterday was a very poor result and start to the season but no fingers should be anywhere near panic buttons for several games yet. Opening games of seasons tend to throw up extreme results and yesterday (and today to an extent) was no different.

Goals change games and the third one yesterday was all important, unfortunately it was scored by Fulham but if it had been us things would have been different. One or two of Hughton''s post match comments were unexpected perhaps but he hasn''t turned into a poor manager overnight, and our players haven''t become crap either.

As others have said a little perspective, a bit of calmness and giving the team our full support will probably see things looking a lot healthier this time next week. And if they''re not we''ll try again the week after, and nobody should start getting their knickers in a twist unless things are looking bad after a quarter of the season has gone. Even then things would still be retrievable, look at Wigan last season.

[quote user="morty"]Cody scored yesterday.Just sayin.[/quote]Nottingham Forest also kept a clean sheet and even though Ayala wasn''t in the squad, I think we should look to bring him back and sell Turner to East Stirling.

[quote user="morty"]Cody scored yesterday.

Just sayin.
[/quote]

Yup.... 5 goals in 4 games and apparently was close to a hat-trick yesterday, creating two other chances on his own that he failed to convert. Looking good at 28/1 for L1 top scorer. Just saying !!! [:D]