Sign in to follow this  
the duke of norfolk

Question. Did Hughton have total say in our transfer dealings this summer?...

I ask this as I have read in numerous articles that Paul

Lambert was "told" by the Norwich City board when we won promotion to

the PL to sign young, hungry players from the lower leagues.

Ward was given a 1 year extension before Hughton arrived as were several

other players if I remember rightly. Martin and Surman were given new 3

year deals either before or just after Hughton arrived.

The other signings of Butterfield, Snodgrass and Whittaker for some

reason don''t strike me as the sort of players that Hughton would go

for.

Are there other people other than the manager influencing player contracts and transfer dealings at our club?

The signing of Whittaker came about because of the Rangers saga, and too late for Lambert to have had any input really.

The other two, and especially, Snodgrass, could have been in the pipe line. I seem to recall CH saying something like "We have been after this player for some time", but which player, I am not sure. And the "We" could have meant the club had tried before.

Like Lambert, CH talks of the constraints under which he operates, and the need to be careful. This suggests a budget limit rather than names. Some of us are a little puzzled, believing that CH has the largest budget ever for a manager at the club, which is probably £15m, to judge by Lambert''s total spending. So far, on something of a shoestring, we seem to have spent £6m or so, not all up front.

It could be that wages are the problem. We have a limit that is likely to attract only hungry young men with ambition, but not established players with good reputations. The club clearly do not want to break the limit, not least because it could bring disunity among the players.

McNally is the man. Hughton clearly did not have total say in dealings and may not have total control in the future, assuming he has one... :)

Of course Hughton had the final say on all of the players that we signed this summer. What kind of limp wristed manager do you think we have got? I would be surprised if any manager would have wanted to step in to Paul Lambert''s shoes if most of their budget was to be spent on players that they did not want to sign.It was Hughton''s team yesterday and Hughton''s tactics, end of...

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]What I am really asking is does Delia have a say on the type of players  we sign?
[/quote]

You could be on to something here dukey. I also heard that Delia prefers to play one up front. You must remember the buck stops at the top....

[quote user="Trawlerboy"]Of course Hughton had the final say on all of the players that we signed this summer. What kind of limp wristed manager do you think we have got? I would be surprised if any manager would have wanted to step in to Paul Lambert''s shoes if most of their budget was to be spent on players that they did not want to sign.It was Hughton''s team yesterday and Hughton''s tactics, end of...

[/quote]
The clearer you say it the worse it becomes. 

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]What I am really asking is does Delia have a say on the type of players  we sign?[/quote]No fat arses, 6 ft plus athletic types.  Or am I getting that mixed up with somebody else[:P]