Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

We MUST buy Matt Phillips or Jordan Rhodes

Are you just drawing names from a hat of Championship players, because there is no way we could afford Phillips.

I completely disagree. These players would only have a marginal improvement at best on the squad we have. to significantly improve the squad we must look at buying players from abroad. Look at the Fulham team, the Swansea team, the West Brom team, etc. Practically all Premier League teams that are going to establish themselves in the PL in years tocome make use of the VAST globla market of foreign players. We on the other hand insist, at the moment, on buying players such as Turner and Snodgrass who only signify marginal improvements on our current squad. Take Swansea buying Michu for 2mil, or the centre back Chico for something similar. The players are out there at relatively cheap price yet we insist on buying players from a very small pool of talent. This is similar in my opinion to the parochial fear English players of playing abroad - as a footballing nation we seem to mistrust foreign countries and their players, despite them panning us at every regular international competition. Some clubs, such as Swansea, have smelt the mustard, whilst others, such as us and Wolves last season, haven''t. The premier league is a global league, attracting the best players in the world to some clubs, yet we are trying to compete with them whilst selecting players from the british isles yet no-where else. In the last 15 years the Premier League has changed massively, with more foreign imports even in ''lower'' clubs, and those who don''t tag along will get left behind, simple as that. ~We may survive this year, maybe next year, but unless we start tapping into a market beyond these shores we will eventually suffer. Once you have reached the calibre of squad we have now, it is very difficult to improve it if we insist on buying purely british. This strikes me as obvious but some people, seemingly including our manager, fail to realise this, and it pains me... Especially when you see such a comparable club as Swansea doing exactly as we should be doing.

[quote user="ncfc4lyf"]Are you just drawing names from a hat of Championship players, because there is no way we could afford Phillips.[/quote]

No way we could afford Phillips? What?

As things were on Saturday, it wouldn''t have made much difference if we had one of the best strikers in Europe. The problem was not that we didn''t take chances, we hardly created any, and Holt was left isolated.

This is unusual for us. For three seasons we have created and wasted chances in abundance. Now we are not creating them in number. I think that this will improve, but it requires a midfield that is not instructed to act like defenders in order to bolster a leaky defence, and it requires a midfield able and willing to move forward slickly with neat interpassing.

All these things were missing on Saturday. Most of the defence were at fault, except Ruddy. There were some glaring errors that cost us goals, and the defenders must recognise where they went wrong and improve. The midfield played too deep, and were too slow to get forward. Passes went astray routinely, with other players not offering themselves in space.

We lack pace generally, with one or two exceptions (-why did Vaughan not get on to the pitch - he''s one of our fastest?), and it is essential to maintain possession.

I would like to see a new striker with real talent. Above all I would like to see a return to old ways - going out to attack, trying to win, even if we concede goals in the meantime.

[quote user="SplatCat"]I completely disagree. These players would only have a marginal improvement at best on the squad we have. to significantly improve the squad we must look at buying players from abroad. Look at the Fulham team, the Swansea team, the West Brom team, etc. Practically all Premier League teams that are going to establish themselves in the PL in years tocome make use of the VAST globla market of foreign players. We on the other hand insist, at the moment, on buying players such as Turner and Snodgrass who only signify marginal improvements on our current squad. Take Swansea buying Michu for 2mil, or the centre back Chico for something similar. The players are out there at relatively cheap price yet we insist on buying players from a very small pool of talent. This is similar in my opinion to the parochial fear English players of playing abroad - as a footballing nation we seem to mistrust foreign countries and their players, despite them panning us at every regular international competition. Some clubs, such as Swansea, have smelt the mustard, whilst others, such as us and Wolves last season, haven''t. The premier league is a global league, attracting the best players in the world to some clubs, yet we are trying to compete with them whilst selecting players from the british isles yet no-where else. In the last 15 years the Premier League has changed massively, with more foreign imports even in ''lower'' clubs, and those who don''t tag along will get left behind, simple as that. ~We may survive this year, maybe next year, but unless we start tapping into a market beyond these shores we will eventually suffer. Once you have reached the calibre of squad we have now, it is very difficult to improve it if we insist on buying purely british. This strikes me as obvious but some people, seemingly including our manager, fail to realise this, and it pains me... Especially when you see such a comparable club as Swansea doing exactly as we should be doing.[/quote]

Well said, I completely agree.

While we''ve done remarkably well to get the most out of young, hungry British players in the last three of years, we can''t rely on that.

Even the clubs with some of the biggest budgets in the world can''t compete with British only... the high prices and, as you say, relatively small talent pool means all successful teams need to cast a wider net. Recently Liverpool have tried to keep things British (largely), and been punished for doing so... both in insane prices and poor results.

We can build a solid foundation for the future with talented, exciting players with potential, and I feel we should give continue to give promising British players a chance, but relying entirely on them, and expecting these players to out-perform their capabilities consistently is asking a lot.

He need more quality, and that''s both lacking and overpriced in the UK based players.

Quoting doesn''t work for me very well but I completely agree with SplatCat and Pudd. I think there''s more value to be found abroad and by dismissing it instantly we''re wiping out a huge pool of players to choose from.

I don''t know if people are scared of expensive flops or whatever, because if that''s the case it happens plenty with British players too.

Put it this way, if it''s true Rhodes is going for around £8m I think we could find a far superior player for less than half of that.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="ncfc4lyf"]Are you just drawing names from a hat of Championship players, because there is no way we could afford Phillips.[/quote]

No way we could afford Phillips? What?[/quote]

Turner and Snodgrass combined cost about 6 million I guess, and Phillips would be a further £6 million+, I highly doubt we would spend this much on a position we probably don''t even need, and should focus on a defender or striker surely?

Where has £6 million+ come from?

If they want that much for him I really really hope we don''t even think of bidding for him.

Might be a bit pedantic but I''m pretty sure Turner and Snodgrass combined cost just over £4m not £6m

SplatCat - totally agree. Lambert went to Villa and signed Vlaar and El Ahmadi. Two players that were reportedly on Lambert''s list shortly before he walked out on us. I think this could have been his frustration with Norwich.

We tend not to take risks. Look at WBA taking Lukaku on loan. Yes it''s probably costing them a fortune and only time will tell whether it proves successful but he''s already off the mark and they have backed Clarke in the market with someone who is expensive but is a good exciting player.

WBA must have debts too. As must Swansea. I fear we are going to be left behind. I was a fan of the Snodgrass signing. Still am. However, for me the signing of Turner and the release of Ayala was a real worry because Ayala is better than Turner.

I''m willing to give CH time, but I fear we are heading in a direction which will undo all the handwork achieved over the past three years.

"We tend not to take risks"Not actually true but we did sign soo much dross that we were weeks from administration.So we actually came closer to the ultimate risk than most have.But don''t let that get in the way of the signing 5 million, 50k a week players fantasy people on here seem to have.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]SplatCat - totally agree. Lambert went to Villa and signed Vlaar and El Ahmadi. Two players that were reportedly on Lambert''s list shortly before he walked out on us. I think this could have been his frustration with Norwich. We tend not to take risks. Look at WBA taking Lukaku on loan. Yes it''s probably costing them a fortune and only time will tell whether it proves successful but he''s already off the mark and they have backed Clarke in the market with someone who is expensive but is a good exciting player. WBA must have debts too. As must Swansea. I fear we are going to be left behind. I was a fan of the Snodgrass signing. Still am. However, for me the signing of Turner and the release of Ayala was a real worry because Ayala is better than Turner. I''m willing to give CH time, but I fear we are heading in a direction which will undo all the handwork achieved over the past three years.[/quote]

In no way is that true - why do people think Ayala is so amazing? I can''t remember seeing him doing anything last season that made me think he was the solution to all our defensive problems. He was bought as last minute back-up to cover for injuries/suspensions we had at the time and in his first few games managed to give away goals with silly mistakes (getting caught under the ball against Stoke and a crazy lunge at WBA away, he also gave away a totally idiotic penalty in the pre-season friendly against Hertha). Turner has been a consistent performer in the Premier League for 3 seasons and was Sunderland''s most used defender last year - he was close to an England call up when playing for Hull. I know who I would rather have over the course of a season.

Anyway, Ayala''s injury problems have shown up again as he only managed one game for Forest before pulling a muscle in training.

No one said anything about signing 50k a week players. The point was that once you reach our current state of quality of players you have to branch out a little bit into the foreign market in order to get a significant improvement in your playing staff. This wouldn''t cost a lot of money. It would however, require a tiny portion of lateral thinking and initiative. There are bargains to be found in british football but why not take advantage of the fact football is a global sport. To be honest it is lazy and unimaginative management to not do so.

[quote user="ncfc4lyf"]Are you just drawing names from a hat of Championship players, because there is no way we could afford Phillips.[/quote]If we can''t afford £6m then we may as well give up now.

[quote user="NcfcSam"]To address the lack of pace in our forward line, also worth a look is Jack Hobbs a centre back from Hull who is their captain at just 23 years old.[/quote]Since when has Jordan Rhodes been pacey?  From what I have seen he''s a younger version of Holt/Ricky Lambert.

If you play a continental way a la Swansea and Fulham it will be easy to integrate continental players into thet set up, City do not play a continental passing game therefore we go with British players who can readily integrate too bring in continental players will take at least half a season like many footballers have in the past.  Butterfield will be a good signing and Elliott Bennet will be our best player this season however may not be good enough to keep us up.