Sign in to follow this  
Cantiaci Canary

Final transfer/s?

With the window slamming shut in 11 days time and following a shock on Saturday who (if any one) do people predict will be signed by Hughton?

Not positions (we all know that many want a CB, DMD & ST) ... specific players.

I predict Curtis Davies and Jordan Rhodes will be brought in (not very original I know!).

I''d like to see Charlie Austin come in, think he''d be a good striker for Norwich. Also Paul Taylor from Peterborough? Was their top scorer last season (12 goals I think) and I feel he could do far better in a more talented squad. He''s not particularly quick or big, but he''s exceedingly skillful and a pretty good finisher.
Defensively... Davies might be signed, Hughton might want to top himself after the defensive capitulation against Fulham and may bring in a center-back he obviously rates to help with that. Liam Bridcutt could also be a good addition for that defensive midfield role. 

Rhodes and Davies has to happen, it''s as simple as that!
I won''t hold my breath though, as long as I keep my expectations in the pan - I can be surprised by everything!

Believe if a striker comes in it will be a foreigner and that really is the route we need to go now , we need to improve on what we have and we cannot afford to buy British , Rhodes would be a high risk signing and pricey with it and you do not get the impression he oozes class like you did say with Ashton .

I''m more concerned about the 5-0 loss putting players off now. Every other team did ok except QPR, but they have stupid money to throw around and entice people. I would have LOVED Ki from Celtic and it now looks like Swansea have bid for him and are in talks with Celtic to get him. He''d fit into their style very well and they''ll only get stronger with him. I don''t really know who we might sign anymore tbh. Another freebie or someone not getting games in the Prem? After watching the highlights on MOTD I felt a lot better because we didn''t look as bad as I thought we would. However, looking back I realise we made one half-chance only from the highlights and there were some big alarms. Mainly how isolated Holty was and how fearful/defensive we were. Like a lot of people are saying - we have players from PL that were geared to attack and be fearless, but now they seem to have gone the complete opposite way. I look at Southampton and I think ''that''s us from last season'' and they''ll pick up points away from home with that attitude and work ethic. They weren''t all-out attack like Blackpool, they defended in numbers, but countered quickly and directly too. I know it''s stupidly early, but I think the QPR is massive. For confidence more than anything..we need to be fearless and play to our attacking strengths. If we''re sticking to 451 I guess we need to look at a proper defensive mid that sits and allows Howson and others to get more forward.. this Dragovic lad looked good, but may be out of our price range or put off by us. Still not convinced by Martin at right-back, but hopefully he proves me wrong or Whittaker comes back soon and does well. Would love to get Butterfield in soon too as I think he''s the man to play the hole behind Holt. Holt also needs a supply line from Pilks/Benno/Snoddy. I would like to see them get at full-backs more and cross into the box. Holt needs to play a Jelavic-style role for this too and stay in the box. Sadly this counters his all-action style that he displays so well with another striker near him

[quote user="Gareth"]I''d like to see Charlie Austin come in, think he''d be a good striker for Norwich. Also Paul Taylor from Peterborough? Was their top scorer last season (12 goals I think) and I feel he could do far better in a more talented squad. He''s not particularly quick or big, but he''s exceedingly skillful and a pretty good finisher.

Defensively... Davies might be signed, Hughton might want to top himself after the defensive capitulation against Fulham and may bring in a center-back he obviously rates to help with that. Liam Bridcutt could also be a good addition for that defensive midfield role. 

[/quote]

We need to higher than Austin and Taylor, according to James Nursery we were keen on Fernando Cavenaghi who would have been an awesome signing.....

We need a central defender. Davies. Someone like that.

If we got Rhodes then we shouldn''t pay more than £5m for him as he''s only scored in League 1. Plus we were only getting bids for Holt at £4.5m and he''s a PL goal scorer.

I think we will be priced out on Rhodes but we NEEEEEED a striker to come in before deadline. Otherwise i fear our lack of goals will see us in big trouble come May.

I hope to god we don''t go for Rhodes. Someone who has only scored at League One should not be the standard we are looking for. You look at Swansea and the quality of foreign player they have been able to sign for relatively little money and I seriously wonder what is wrong with people suggesting a £6m Rhodes and some guy from Peterborough as our answers.

Enough mediocre British players already!

I''m not counting on any transfers anymore. Would love Dragovic or Curties Davis. A striker would be great, but don''t count on it lads...

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]I''m not counting on any transfers anymore. Would love Dragovic or Curties Davis. A striker would be great, but don''t count on it lads...[/quote]

I think Hughton''s post match quotes show that there is almost certainly going to be another player coming in before the close of the transfer window - coupled together with his comments about enquries being made for players last Thursday. I would expect another CB and possibly a striker in addition to a back up goalkeeper (proabably Bunn).

Rhodes reportedly agreed terms with Fulham.

Missed the boat, big time.

EVERY signing is a gamble (and that includes top players like Van Persie) so these mutterings about him only having played League One level and therefore being a gamble don''t wash with me.

Pilkington & Bennett seemed to do okay for us last season, afterall.

"Pilkington & Bennett seemed to do okay for us last season, afterall."Just about alright, but they were hardly key for their combined fees of probably 6 million quid?Rose tinted.Rhodes would be a HUGE gamble with a significant proportion of our tranfer kitty.

Pilkington and Bennett were ''key'' We would have had to play the diamond all season without them. And when we did play the diamond, we didn''t win very often, even though I like the formation it just didn''t work very well for us results wise last season. So Pilks and Bennett were key.

Rose tinted what? You calling me a hippy?

It''s the going rate these days. If Wolves get £12m for Fletcher, then of course Rhodes will be £6m. You ever seen JR play, btw? He''s got a killer instinct. Find me another player who could score as many as Rhodes for less money.

That said, if we continue to play like on Saturday, it''d be pointless anyway. No service to the strikers = no chances = no goals.

(Unless you count putting Surman through on his non-existent right foot, of course)

Final transfer..Mark Bunn?

Really hope it''s not the only signing, if he does even come, but we''ll see! The main thing is getting the tactics and execution right on Sat with the boys we''ve got here now