Sign in to follow this  
clarkey1972

Tierney

I only saw the highlights on MOD, but it looked like tierney in particular had a nightmate on Saturday.

From anyone at the game what was he like over the 90?

Not making him a scapegoat or anything but several of the goals were down to him.  Maybe just ring rusty after being out for so long.

Am sure Turner will pick up as well as he isnt as bad as that week in week out.

No, he wasn''t great.But I would rather go with a collective blame, rather than pick out individuals, no one covered themselves in glory.Theres a fair few players there that have been team captains at previous clubs, and frankly, every single head went down way too easily.

Like I said on Saturday, Turner & Tierney looked as if they had just been plucked from the fans of the Dog & Duck to make the team up!

Poor both of them, but it was a negative poor display from all, no passion, drive, desire, negative mentality and worst of all set up by a negative coaching team who have this mentality as shown in Pre Season, which really doesn''t matter apparently, as it''s only about fitness!

So there we have it, Turner and Tierney surely can''t be as bad again, or do they both go to the bench with replacements given  the chance?

The entire 11 had an absolute mare. Feel a bit sorry for Ruddy, on the back of an England clean sheet he see''s five slip past him. Sadly I don''t think he could have done much more about any of the goals

you could sadly smell the stench of defeat as soon as the first goal went in.

What I should have said was "technically" he had a terrible game.  I agree there was a desire that seemed to be lacking throughout the team.

When morro came on did the shape change at all?

Tierney has not had much match time has he?  If Garrido had come in a week earlier he would have started without a doubt.Same on the other flank, if Whittaker was fit he would have started and offered more than Martin.  Not dissing Martin overall, but in the prem he is a liability as a right back.

[quote user="kellybrook"]Tierney has not had much match time has he?  If Garrido had come in a week earlier he would have started without a doubt.Same on the other flank, if Whittaker was fit he would have started and offered more than Martin.  Not dissing Martin overall, but in the prem he is a liability as a right back.[/quote]I much prefer him as a centre back.

And still they come with their pi$$y comments! we know Hughton has another left back, we were discussing Tierney''s performance, not the squad!

I really wish people would wind their heads in sometimes, what does every thread have to be bullie into inane responese ?

It was a hot afternoon, and strength sapping, but this did not cause a problem for Fulham, who were much quicker and more committed than us.

We have been assured that the players were fully fit  and ready. The problem, then, must be in the mind, with a lack of commitment.

Possibilities were:

• CH cannot motivate them as well as his predecessor. Perhaps Mr. Nice Guy will need to be come rough with one or two. We read that this morning will see some savage comments after the manager has had a chance to look at the video over the week-end.

• The emphasis on defence, including playing Howson just in front of the back four rather than deploying him where he is more creative, may be something that they are struggling to come to turns with. They played reasonably well until Fulham scored, but thereafter there was no reilience. They capitulated.

• Important players struggled with their own game and so applied extra pressure on others. We succeeded last year by a real commitment to each other last year. Has this evapourated?

Whatever the reason, the passing was often poor, the effort not available. Long before the fional goals were scored, they had given up. They didn''t want to be there. This was quite unlike the team under the last manager - they kept going to the end, even if they knew they had lost. On Saturday at times it seemed as if they didn''t care.

Fuuny Saloplan, that''s what I said after watching the Borussia game, only to be shouted down as it was only a Freindly and that didn''t matter, was told to wait for the Fulham game where we would see the real response from the players!!!!

Well they must still think it''s Freindly season and it doesn''t matter!

"Tierney has not had much match time has he?"It was right there, if you had chosen to open your eyes and read it.  Let me spell it out so its crystal clear to you.Tierney had a long term injury.No match fitness under his belt.It was 34 degree in the stadium on Saturday.If Garrido had been here a week earlier he would have started instead.Clear enough or does that count as pi$$y as well?[quote user="Indy"]

And still they come with their pi$$y comments! we know Hughton has another left back, we were discussing Tierney''s performance, not the squad!

I really wish people would wind their heads in sometimes, what does every thread have to be bullie into inane responese ?

[/quote]

Aside from one early storming run into the opposition half, Tierney hardly got forward all game and played fairly aimless long balls to Holt.

I guess that Hughton''s cautious approach means that Tierney no longer has licence to get forward on the wing, and so most of his attacking threat has gone (ditto Russell Martin).

What we were left with on Saturday were full backs who couldn''t work out where to be positionally. Fulham knew that every time all they needed was a long ball into the corners and they were away again.

Grant Holt 3 Yeart wrote"

I agree! Hughton should go out and get a left full back in. Why has this not happened yet?! The guy is useless!

Oh...Indifferent [:|]"

Is that not Pissy kellybrook!

No one is having a dig and we know how much time out Tierney has hadm but he''s been playing pre-season and should be fresh and ready to go, so I''m not over convinced about the lack of matches played!

On the day he was rubbish, no desire along with the rest, there was no pride or passion!

In response to the OP, Tierny obviously didn''t have a good game but he was not alone in this!

One thing that stood out at the start was how "hyped up" he was. I don''t know if anyone else saw it but before the game started when the crowd were singing Tierny was waiving his arms frantically at the crowd encouraging them. At the time, I thought "great - real passion" but perhaps it could be taken as a sign that he was so excited at his return that he was not fully "in the zone" mentally.

Having missed the second half of last season and with an obvious replacement just recruited, he had most to prove and perhaps the occasion just got the better of him?

I was keeping my counsel on Saturday and , indeed pre season. BUT I must say something now.

Tierney is a very, very good left back. There were times last year when he was rumoured regularly to move, for big (ish) money and stay in the prem. The lad isn''t fit. When and if he is, he will be plenty good enough for a mid table Prem team. If you cannot see this I suggest you go and take a moment to watch the left (and right) backs of our more successful periods on you-tube

Tierney is class. Mark my words.  

I happen to rate Tierney and think he was one of the most consistent performers for us last season. Everyone looked shite in that game tbh bar Ruddy. I''d like to see Garrido too, but don''t write Tierney off!

Tierney was awful, but both full backs were too far away from their markers when the talented Dembele, Ruiz, & co were pinging cross-field balls to them. They then had time to kill the ball, control, and make their moves or crosses.

People on here have slated Snodgrass''s performance I think he did more than R.Martin defensively on the right flank as was obviously told to come and help him out. He made quite a few decent tackles.

Garrido is obviously coming here to be our no''1 LB...I really hope that Whitaker ends up surpassing RM as although he put in some great performances last season, I cant remember any of them being at right back.

Tierney was showing himself to be a brilliant full back before he got injured. He''s missed valuable playing time at a very high level when most of his career has been spent in lower league. He''ll need time to get back up to speed, comming straight back in at this level must have been like being hit with a sledgehammer. Garrido will buy him time and may prove to be the better player but i certainly think a fit on form Tierney has what it takes at the level we find ourselves.

[quote user="morty"]Every single head went down way too easily.
[/quote]

Just like those after-match drinking sessions at the Nelson when all your over-inflated egos take turns to fellate each other with the deep throat of self-righteousness.