Sign in to follow this  
Ernie

Our back four signings so far............

We have now signed a back four that in the not to distant past would have cost us approximately £18 million to assemble.  Personally I think thats quite encouraging as I dont believe they could have now all become bad players.  Add Snodgrass and the potential of Butterfield with I believe a possible couple of new signings (Striker & defensive midfielder) plus the players that Hughton has inherited we still could have a very good squad.  Unfortunately for some Hughton is not Lambert and that his management style, tactics, combined with the complete no show at Fulham has got alot of people into a right old stew (understandly so) however thats not going to change the fact that with the backing of the board, most fans at the time of his appointment, that he''s going to build his team the way he wants to and regardless of what people may thinks he''s going to have to be given time to implement that.  Personally I would have liked to see the team just tweaked with perhaps 3/4 top quality signings as opposed to wholesale changes and to see us playing in the same attacking way but thats not Hughton''s way, right or wrong, and at this point in time we are clearly not going to change that fact.  As I see it we dont really have any choice but to stand by him and give him a chance to do his thing (not Lamberts) this is not blind faith as I was for sacking Gunn after the 7-1 defeat not just because of that particular result but I never felt he should have been manager in the first place and the writing was on the wall the season before, however Hughton is not Gunn and with McNasty at the helm he will still need to turn it around but I for one am hoping he can as I do think he has the ability to do so.

[quote user="Ernie"]We have now signed a back four that in the not to distant past would have cost us approximately £18 million to assemble.  Personally I think thats quite encouraging as I dont believe they could have now all become bad players.  Add Snodgrass and the potential of Butterfield with I believe a possible couple of new signings (Striker & defensive midfielder) plus the players that Hughton has inherited we still could have a very good squad.  Unfortunately for some Hughton is not Lambert and that his management style, tactics, combined with the complete no show at Fulham has got alot of people into a right old stew (understandly so) however thats not going to change the fact that with the backing of the board, most fans at the time of his appointment, that he''s going to build his team the way he wants to and regardless of what people may thinks he''s going to have to be given time to implement that.  Personally I would have liked to see the team just tweaked with perhaps 3/4 top quality signings as opposed to wholesale changes and to see us playing in the same attacking way but thats not Hughton''s way, right or wrong, and at this point in time we are clearly not going to change that fact.  As I see it we dont really have any choice but to stand by him and give him a chance to do his thing (not Lamberts) this is not blind faith as I was for sacking Gunn after the 7-1 defeat not just because of that particular result but I never felt he should have been manager in the first place and the writing was on the wall the season before, however Hughton is not Gunn and with McNasty at the helm he will still need to turn it around but I for one am hoping he can as I do think he has the ability to do so.[/quote]
He does, but he is trying to force his style onto a squad created by another manager. Until he has made enough signings to have a new look squad that fits the bill, the transition to his style should be slower. Why not play a formation and tactic style half way in between the two contrasting styles. 4-4-2 would probably be beneficial at this stage of the squads upheaval.

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"][quote user="Ernie"]We have now signed a back four that in the not to distant past would have cost us approximately £18 million to assemble.  Personally I think thats quite encouraging as I dont believe they could have now all become bad players.  Add Snodgrass and the potential of Butterfield with I believe a possible couple of new signings (Striker & defensive midfielder) plus the players that Hughton has inherited we still could have a very good squad.  Unfortunately for some Hughton is not Lambert and that his management style, tactics, combined with the complete no show at Fulham has got alot of people into a right old stew (understandly so) however thats not going to change the fact that with the backing of the board, most fans at the time of his appointment, that he''s going to build his team the way he wants to and regardless of what people may thinks he''s going to have to be given time to implement that.  Personally I would have liked to see the team just tweaked with perhaps 3/4 top quality signings as opposed to wholesale changes and to see us playing in the same attacking way but thats not Hughton''s way, right or wrong, and at this point in time we are clearly not going to change that fact.  As I see it we dont really have any choice but to stand by him and give him a chance to do his thing (not Lamberts) this is not blind faith as I was for sacking Gunn after the 7-1 defeat not just because of that particular result but I never felt he should have been manager in the first place and the writing was on the wall the season before, however Hughton is not Gunn and with McNasty at the helm he will still need to turn it around but I for one am hoping he can as I do think he has the ability to do so.[/quote]

He does, but he is trying to force his style onto a squad created by another manager. Until he has made enough signings to have a new look squad that fits the bill, the transition to his style should be slower. Why not play a formation and tactic style half way in between the two contrasting styles. 4-4-2 would probably be beneficial at this stage of the squads upheaval.

[/quote]

Agreed and because of the Fulham result he might find that his hand is somewhat forced, which is something I would rather see as I prefer the at it and up style of football under Lambert, but unfortunately that is not his way.  I am of course hoping that longer term we can still play an attractive passing game with the ball on the deck all be it a bit tighter defensively but certainly not totally negative or we will in my humble opinion be relegated.  Lets hope for a much improved performance agaisnt QPR.