Sign in to follow this  
Norma Stick

Tom Huddlestone

Spurs are willing to let Huddlestone go out on loan, apparently.

Surely this is the sort of player that we should be looking to get in?  Strong, quick, a good passer of the ball.  And FAR FAR better than Johnson.

Someone will say wages will be an issue, but with the extra TV revenue due next season, it is imperative that we stay up.  So perhaps speculate to accumulate?

I like Johnson, but yes Huddlestone would be an improvement. Great player, never appears to get a fair run in the team at Spurs. Perhaps they could throw in Dos Santos as well? Triple swoop fro Spurs.

[quote user="CamelFish"]

Strong, quick, a good passer of the ball.  [/quote]

Definitely strong. Not quick. An outstanding passer of the ball.

Good player, but very slow and immobile (can see why that doesn''t fit AVB''s model of quick, counter attacking players).

He famously had to be given a special diet at Tottenham due to his weight issues - had to stop having ketchup as he would apparantly drown everything he ate in it.

If fit, he''s a beast. Stupidly powerful shots and great passing range plus very, very strong. Would take him any day, but completely fits the Stoke blueprint with his strength and power and they seem to be in pole position. Would have loved him here.The player I''d REALLY like is FRIMPONG! Still injured though I think..surely we''d go for him on loan though if fit...?

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="Webbo118"]Major injury problems.[/quote]

Bit of a weight issue aswell at times.

[/quote]Hughton would whip his fat arse into shape

Huddlestone would be perfect for this team right now and we would be perfect for him. I mean, much more appropriate in terms of style of play. Tom is a passer and we are a passing side.

ANOTHER MIDFIELDER!! I hear you cry! Well, YES! Defensife midfield is one of our weakest positions and a role that none of our midfielders are currently very good at/built for. Johnson? Maybe our most shielding but imo far from a complete package and judging from pre-season, would like to get a little further up the pitch.

You dont ship 5 goals out if you have a solid midfield and I would make this guy a priority. Tall, strong, young.... I''d defo negotiate a buying clause into the loan too, could easily work his way back into the England squad with a run of games.

[quote user="York Canary"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="Webbo118"]Major injury problems.[/quote]

Bit of a weight issue aswell at times.

[/quote]

Hughton would whip his fat arse into shape
[/quote]

As long as Holt doesnt mentor or room withhim, otherwise the poor lad wont fit through the changing room door.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Good player, but very slow and immobile (can see why that doesn''t fit AVB''s model of quick, counter attacking players).

He famously had to be given a special diet at Tottenham due to his weight issues - had to stop having ketchup as he would apparantly drown everything he ate in it.

[/quote]

Yes, Bethnal, perhaps you are right.  Why have Huddlestone when we have already got the lithe, nimble and agile superb passer, tackler and reader of the game in our midfield in that dynamo that is Bradley Johnson

[quote user="CamelFish"]

Surely this is the sort of player that we should be looking to get in?  Strong, quick, a good passer of the ball.  And FAR FAR better than Johnson.

Someone will say wages will be an issue, but with the extra TV revenue due next season, it is imperative that we stay up.  So perhaps speculate to accumulate?

[/quote]

Wages are a huge issue!

The club won''t break their approach now and:

1. risk going down with a player on vast wages unsustainable long term at Championship level;

2. risk upsetting current high earners at the club by being more generous than they have to them.

Huddleston is out of our league ... lower your sights.

Even Lambert wouldn''t have pulled this off.

Given that Huddlestone and Hoot were at Spurs together between 2005-2008 (although Huddlestone went on loan for some of it) you would hope that we would be sniffing around him is he''s available on loan. Would for me be the sort of player we need to sit in front of the back four. I''m sure he;s on quite high wages but if its just for a season then surely something could be worked out.

Guess it depends on how fit he is and whether he has put that weight back on during his injury lay off.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"][quote user="CamelFish"]

[/quote]

Wages are a huge issue!

The club won''t break their approach now and:

1. risk going down with a player on vast wages unsustainable long term at Championship level;

2. risk upsetting current high earners at the club by being more generous than they have to them.

Huddleston is out of our league ... lower your sights.

Even Lambert wouldn''t have pulled this off.

[/quote]

Sorry - just spotted that you mentioned him coming in on loan.

My bad!

If Stoke are after him, Hughton needs to move quick on this one !Perhaps his spurs connection made swing it our way .

[quote user="CamelFish"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Yes, Bethnal, perhaps you are right.  Why have Huddlestone when we have already got the lithe, nimble and agile superb passer, tackler and reader of the game in our midfield in that dynamo that is Bradley Johnson

[/quote]

If you read the first two word in my post I say he is a good player - but not, as you described him, quick. I think that is the last adjective someone would use when asked to describe Huddlestone if they had seen him play for more than 10 mins.

I would compare him more to Fox than Johnson anyway - neither are going to tear around the pitch, but both good at sitting in front of the defence and spreading the balls to the wings - if Norwich persist with the 4-3-3 they played at Fulham (which it was rather than 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1) then he could do the role of the deepest midfielder well.

Good player, always rated him. BUT, at this time we dont need him and now have enough in the midfield department, just an additional striker, a back up keeper and we are good to go!

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Good player, always rated him. BUT, at this time we dont need him and now have enough in the midfield department, just an additional striker, a back up keeper and we are good to go![/quote]

I''m not totally sure, if we''re going to be more attack minded then we dont need a defensive midfielder so urgently so i''d agree, but if we are going to try and defend for large periods of every game, holding teams out (which looks increasingly likely) we are going to need a a really good decent holding midfielder. A fit Huddleston is a good player to have sat infront of the back four.

When speaking about this players wages, do you not think that Bassong would have been on his sort of wage bracket, we pulled that off.

Bassong was bought from Newcastle for a few quid by THFC therefore I believe he would have been on more than a man that went to THFC of a young age.

Tom Huddlestone hasn''t really performed to the standard they once thought he would achieve, I don''t think THFC would want to put him on a big wage contract for that reason.

a loan deal would consist in THFC paying a percentage of his wages meaning we probably could afford him.

Our gaffer should drive down there and pick him up, personally he fits what we need in the middle of the park a PRESENCE to dominate which Huddlestone can do.

Huddlestone is one of my favourite players; vision, strength, technically excellent and can ping a size 5 ball like a rocket. He doesn''t need out-and-out speed with his superb reading of the game.

Realistic or not, I''d love him here!Him and Howson could have a superb centre midfield partnership I reckon!