Sign in to follow this  
JKUIL

QPR and Real Madrid agree Ricardo Carvalho loan deal

No, I''d like them to sign him and play him, why not, he''s 34 and simply gone to QPR for a pay day, ideal for Holty to come up against. QPR are beginning to resemble the type of "All Star" team you would book for a testimonial or benefit game. 

lol have you ever seen Carvalho play ? Easily the best defender in the premiership a few years back when under Mourinho at chelsea, even made JT look average at times.Holt wont get a sniff out of him, hes got no pace but everything else about him is quality.

Could be a panic signing by QPR following their own 5-0 defeat but at 34 he will bring both quality (at the highest level) and maturity to a back four that must be reeling after Saturday. Which is why I would hope that the loan deal is not completed before Saturday.

34 is still a good age to play football, look at Beckham, Scholes and Giggs etc. It''s a good signing for them and I hope he doesn''t play Saturday lol

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]

Holt wont get a sniff out of him, hes got no pace but everything else about him is quality.
[/quote]

Makes you wonder how Holt scored all those goals last season against premier league defenders. But I guess if Carvalho is better than all those defenders you could have a point. But if that''s true it begs the question why would he go to QPR?

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Nutty - Is the answer "The money is good" ? 

[/quote]

Maybe "Too old for a big club"?

Hughes is showing a brilliant ability to flush large amounts of cash down the drain with little to show for it. They may stay up but if they do is will be a close run thing and few if any of these signings have any sell on value and the wage bill will be off the scale

[quote user="ImDrunky"]34 is still a good age to play football, look at Beckham, Scholes and Giggs etc. It''s a good signing for them and I hope he doesn''t play Saturday lol[/quote]

Yes players are playing for longer but 34 for a top flight centre back is quite old and he was never that quick in the first place. I would fancy an on saong Holt to cause him plenty of problems. Trouble is an on song Holt is probably a stone lighter than he looked last week.

Carvalho was one of the best defenders in the world.  He''s not got the legs anymore, and probably won''t play more than 20 games.  He only played 8 last season according to Wiki, so I''d imagine he''s a long way short of match fitness.

I''m not too fussed either way if he does or doesn''t play.  We''ll be up against a lot better and fitter defenders over the course of the season. 

Its also worth considering that Dawson only played 7 games last season too (according to Wiki) due to ruptured ankle ligaments.  A big gamble for QPR at 9mil.

I''d be very surprised if both start on Saturday.  If they do, I''d also expect that they will be struggling with fitness for the last 20 minutes for fitness.  We really need to get at QPR. 

My understanding is that it is a one year loan and my opinion is that the priority for clubs in the Premiership this year is to avoid relegation because the financial rewards will be so much greater next year. On that basis and the abysmal defensive display by QPR last Saturday the one year loan signing of such a high calibre and experienced, if ageing, defender seems pretty good business to me.

Fair play to QPR. They would have been serious contenders for the 2006/7 Premier League title.