Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Bassong Price

I''m pleased to see so much positivity about the new signing but didn''t he get relegated with Newcastle and Wolves in his short career in England?

I can''t beleve that we''ve spent more than £3M on him.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]there''s no way in the world we would have paid £5.5m ??!?!?!...............is there?[/quote]

I doubt McNally is that stupid. Spurs need money for Adebeyor so are off loading fringe players for whatever they can get. If and when the fee becomes known I think you will find £5.5 million is way out.
[/quote]

havent they got £25m coming their way for Modric ?

"On 21 August 2012, Bassong signed a three year deal with Norwich City, for £5.5 million making him the clubs record signing, taking that record from Dean Ashton (£3M)[10], he is also Norwich City''s highest earner as the club matched his £40,000 a week wage that he was earning at Tottenham."

Wikipedia is the source, I know anyone can edit but just nice bit of reading if true.

[quote user="thegovernor1"]"On 21 August 2012, Bassong signed a three year deal with Norwich City, for £5.5 million making him the clubs record signing, taking that record from Dean Ashton (£3M)[10], he is also Norwich City''s highest earner as the club matched his £40,000 a week wage that he was earning at Tottenham." Wikipedia is the source, I know anyone can edit but just nice bit of reading if true.[/quote]

I''m not sure if it is "nice" reading?!?.......granted he''s better that what we''ve got but that''s an awful lot of money?

[quote user="thegovernor1"]"On 21 August 2012, Bassong signed a three year deal with Norwich City, for £5.5 million making him the clubs record signing, taking that record from Dean Ashton (£3M)[10], he is also Norwich City''s highest earner as the club matched his £40,000 a week wage that he was earning at Tottenham."

Wikipedia is the source, I know anyone can edit but just nice bit of reading if true.[/quote]That wikipedia entry originally said £3.75 million ;)

I''m not that bothered by £5.5 million IF it is true - the reported wages are more of an issue. £40,000 a week for 3 years is 6 million + the precedent that it establishes for others. It''s the ongoing commitment of high wages that is the real threat - look at Portsmouth.

Still, Wiki is hardly a reliable source for things like these...

Cantiaci, Spurs are paying much more than that for Adebayor: per Telegraph it is £5m to Man C + £4m to the player + a £5m+ salary. City were desperate to get rid hence the lower figures, but I don''t think anyone is laughing at those figures other than the player!

Everybody moaning about figures quoted about what the fee "may be" but Ssn are reporting that qpr have had a bid of 9m accepted for Dawson ? Who''s got the better deal

As an ex newcastle and spurs player it was obvious that the wages were going to be large and that was always the surprise in this for me,  that we HAVE moved our wage goal posts.   Does Grant still have a match the highest earn clause making him very happy or will he want to re-negotiate again??

Bassong clearly has some talent to be at those clubs,  I can ignore the wolves games given they were a dire team imploding with no confidence.

We wanted an pacy strong experienced central defender;  he is still in his prime less injury prone than Dawson and more mobile. At 26 he has a resale value attached. He clearly wants to play for Hughton which has to be good.  With bennett costing as increasing to £3m deal £5m ish sounds like the going rate for a player with those credentials. 

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Considering that Spurs have bought Adebayor for £5M they must be laughing all the way to the bank if they''ve sold us Bassong for £5.5M![/quote]

Thing is that obviously nobody really wants to take on Adebayor''s wages. Man City were never going to get a big fee for him because the guy is on absolute mega bucks.

Spurs wanted him and needed a striker so they are prepared to do it but knowing that his contract on top of the transfer fee and all the rest of it is going to add up to a lot of money.

I''m also pretty sure that the only way we''re getting near £5.5m for Bassong is if there are a few add-ons involved e.g. staying in the Premier League.

Bennett cost us 4 million, if true an extra 1.5 million for Bassong isn''t that much.