Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

Bassong new signing

[quote user="It''s Character Forming"]

Pleased with this signing.  It must have been in the works last week to get to the stage of being announced this morning, plus as people have pointed out the no 5 shirt can''t have been left unallocated for no reason.

But let''s be honest, after Saturday it would have been an easy decision to finalise.

Be interesting now to see if we get anyone in up front, given the persistent rumours about Vaughan and the fact that he wasn''t brought on.>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, but after Saturday it may have been a more difficult decision for Bassong to finalise ! IMO a very good signing and reassuring that Hughton is targeting this quality and experience of player.

[quote user="Al Catraz"][quote user="It''s Character Forming"]

Pleased with this signing.  It must have been in the works last week to get to the stage of being announced this morning, plus as people have pointed out the no 5 shirt can''t have been left unallocated for no reason.

But let''s be honest, after Saturday it would have been an easy decision to finalise.

Be interesting now to see if we get anyone in up front, given the persistent rumours about Vaughan and the fact that he wasn''t brought on.>>>>>>>>>> Yes, but after Saturday it may have been a more difficult decision for Bassong to finalise ! IMO a very good signing and reassuring that Hughton is targeting this quality and experience of player.[/quote]

Absolutely. Obvioulsy in the pipeline before the weekend (Bassong has been given the vacant No. 5 shirt) but Bassong did have the weekend to wonder about whether he wanted to join a team that had just lost 5-0! May say something about Hughton''s powers of persuasion. Also it may be a doubly good sign in terms of Hughton being able to attract a new striker.

No sure how I feel about this signing, seen him play on numerous occasions for Spurs & Wolves, always seemed a bit shaky to me.

I''d like to be proven wrong but this does not fill me with confidence. But as always I will get behind the team & this now includes Bassong!

OTBC!

Having had a think about this for a while, it is a good signing.

We lack a left sided centre back & pace.

He was superb at Newcastle  hence the Player of Season & £8m value.  He was a regular when Spurs finished 4th & kept numerous clean-sheets.

Struggled at Wolves but they were in freefall before he arrived & conceding plenty already.

If we can see close to the form of 3 years ago, we''ve got a cracking signing

Will reserve judgement until I''ve seen him play. Quite nice that he once cost £8m but, then again, so did Jean-Alain Boumsong. Seems to have been around the Premiership forever without really ever making an impression.

How many games did he play in that maelstrom?[quote user="ncfc4lyf"]He was good 3 seasons back, but looked weak for Wolves

Poor signing.[/quote]

At one light bulb has clicked on in one brain.  Hopefully a few others will think about it as well before postingt knee jerk rubbish.[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]

Having had a think about this for a while, it is a good signing.

We lack a left sided centre back & pace.

He was superb at Newcastle  hence the Player of Season & £8m value.  He was a regular when Spurs finished 4th & kept numerous clean-sheets.

Struggled at Wolves but they were in freefall before he arrived & conceding plenty already.

If we can see close to the form of 3 years ago, we''ve got a cracking signing

[/quote]

This is what makes me laugh:"Will reserve judgement until I''ve seen him play."If peopl followed football they would have seen him play, and Garrido, and Whittaker.But no, once a week shouting "get it forward" then its head in the sand.

He played 9 times for Wolves. McCarthy had gone by then and Cooper (bless him) was overseeing the team''s inevitable freefall. Don''t think any player could have looked good in that team in that situation.

The more I think about it, the happier I am with this signing.

For what it''s worth, my Spurs-supporting missus is a bit peeved he''s been sold. The season THFC finished 4th, he was (according to her) one of the best performers throughout the season.

Good signing I think, though I also thought that about Turner (then Fulham happened).

[quote user="York Canary"][quote user="ncfc4lyf"]He was good 3 seasons back, but looked weak for Wolves

Poor signing.[/quote]Only good 3 seasons back? Looked weak for Wolves in all of those epic 9 games?Poor signing?You''re a joke. Barely arrived and you''re writing him off[/quote]
Wiz is back then.

He''s a CB with Pace,he''s strong and good in the air,he has been a quality defender for both Newcastle and Spurs,he''s not kicked a ball in anger for us yet,lets slag him off then shall we!! tut Honestly when are certain City fans going to realise that we don''t have Billions to spend,we don''t have a massive wage budget and all this negative s**t doesn''t help,Turner and Bassong as our CB pairing,christ sake 3 years ago the same folk moaning and groaning would''ve been over the moon with that,add in Garrido and Martin and we have a really strong looking back four. 

My only question is if Bassong was all we could get from Spuds? Would of thought we probably opened discussions over Naughton first, well at least I hope we did.

[quote user="pablofarmer"]My only question is if Bassong was all we could get from Spuds? Would of thought we probably opened discussions over Naughton first, well at least I hope we did.[/quote]

Naughton recently signed a new long-term deal at Tottenham so it''s pretty clear he isn''t going anywhere this season.

I would have liked Norwich to take a punt on Gio Dos Santos - if Hughton could get him playing anywhere near his Mexico form he would be an excellent addition - would certainly add a player with great pace, technical ability and the willingness to take on defenders. Unlikely to happen - but would be real exciting attacking addition. Have a feeling he might go to Swansea after they sell Sinclair.

[quote user="kellybrook"]This is what makes me laugh:

"Will reserve judgement until I''ve seen him play."

If peopl followed football they would have seen him play, and Garrido, and Whittaker.

But no, once a week shouting "get it forward" then its head in the sand.
[/quote]

Why does that make you laugh? Funnily enough I haven''t watched every single FC Metz, Newcastle, Spurs or Wolves game in which he played. I''m not embarrassed about this fact.

I know his position, nationality and club and have seen him play on Football Manager but I don''t know every single thing about him hence why I am reserving judgement.

People like you don''t make me laugh, just make me scratch my head and shrug my shoulders.

Hughton has coached him before for an extended period of time and clearly feels he is better than what we have at the moment. Personally feel this is a good deal for us and explains why we have let Ayala out.

I am very happy with this,watched spurs on the tv quite a few times the last couple of seasons and always thought he looked good, very mobile.

[quote user="ncfc4lyf"]He was good 3 seasons back, but looked weak for Wolves

Poor signing.[/quote]

stop moaning before you''ve even seen him play FOR US

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[quote user="kellybrook"]This is what makes me laugh:"Will reserve judgement until I''ve seen him play."If peopl followed football they would have seen him play, and Garrido, and Whittaker.But no, once a week shouting "get it forward" then its head in the sand.[/quote]

Why does that make you laugh? Funnily enough I haven''t watched every single FC Metz, Newcastle, Spurs or Wolves game in which he played. I''m not embarrassed about this fact.

I know his position, nationality and club and have seen him play on Football Manager but I don''t know every single thing about him hence why I am reserving judgement.

People like you don''t make me laugh, just make me scratch my head and shrug my shoulders.

[/quote]
Wait wait, people actually use FM as a benchmark for players? Need I remind you it''s a game? (A glorious game, full of word processing and brick sh*tting on matchday nonetheless)

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[quote user="kellybrook"]This is what makes me laugh:

"Will reserve judgement until I''ve seen him play."

If peopl followed football they would have seen him play, and Garrido, and Whittaker.

But no, once a week shouting "get it forward" then its head in the sand.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wait wait, people actually use FM as a benchmark for players? Need I remind you it''s a game? (A glorious game, full of word processing and brick sh*tting on matchday nonetheless)

[/quote]

JFC. Yes, I am aware it''s a game. This is why I used it in an ironic, hyperbolic way to counter numb-nuts #1''s earlier dig

Very positive comments from Mr Bassong.

Sebastien Bassong says the opportunity of

working with Chris Hughton again "made a big difference" in his decision

to join Norwich.

The Cameroon defender, 26, has signed a three-year deal with the Canaries for an undisclosed fee from Tottenham.

Bassong first worked with Hughton when he was at Newcastle,

and says: "He was the first man to give me a training session in England

when I came from France.

"He knows me really well and so I am very happy to work for

him again. This is a really good thing for me to join this club and I am

looking forward to playing for the team."

Nothing against this lad, but just concerned why did we just sign Turner and him, point the door for Ayala and gave Ward a new contract.

(Okay I know Ward got his contract before Hughton came in)

Just would have liked to see Bennett get lot of play time and I''m quite sure Bassong and Turner will be our main CB''s.

Anyway I like the type of player Bassong represents a bit faster and bit better with the ball than Turner. Or at least this picture I have got when saw him play last few years.

Dont know if happy or not, but I trust Hughton knows what he is doing. Still I get bit of a feeling we are building short term squad instead of making a defence that would last more than few years as all four defenders we signed are over 26 years.

But after Fulham game I''m quite happy to see Hughton immediately sign someone for defence :D

Can''t believe some of the negativity on here.

We sign a pacey international (for a decent team too) centre half and we ain''t happy! OK he didn''t stop Wolves going down last year but they ere such a shambles that signing Terry, Vidic & Rooney might not have saved them. He played 9 games for them and I seem to recall he was injured (did he pull a hamstring) and a rather unfortunate red card in one game. As others have said he had a great season at Newcastle and played regularly when he first went to SPurs.

As for Turner, well everyone has a shocking game every now and then. I seem to remember Steve Bruce''s first couple of games were a bit shaky!

Rumours still around of ongoing attempts to get Davies in as well - we could have Bassong, Bennett, Turner & Davies as our 4 CB''s which wouldn''t be bad at all & certainly better than Ward, Barnett, De Laet & Whitbread from this time last year!

A good signing. A good player who knows the manager, respects him and knows what he wants.

It''s clear after Saturday''s ''performance'' that Hughton has to bring in his own men, because cynical as it may be, I don''t believe many who played on saturday were playing for the manager.

Nobody should get their hopes up just yet. Bassong''s last 8 games have resulted in 0 wins, 0 draws and 8 defeats with 24 goals conceded. So he''s not exactly a defensive rock!

[quote user="Al"]Nobody should get their hopes up just yet. Bassong''s last 8 games have resulted in 0 wins, 0 draws and 8 defeats with 24 goals conceded. So he''s not exactly a defensive rock![/quote]Playing for a woeful Wolves side which was already cut adrift at the bottom...

Interesting comment about this on 5 live this afternoon when one of the presenters said"if your side get hit for 5 in the first game the last thing you want is Bassong in your back 4 for the next 2nd". Strange thing to say.