Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

Bassong new signing

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="urdie_Canary"]He was shocking for Wolves last season. [/quote]Yet was really good for Newcastle and Spurs in seasons prior to that?Judging him on one season is laughable.[/quote]

Yet some people are judging our manager on one competitive game.

[/quote]Because one game is the same length as one season? Errmm..Just because you didnt panic doesnt mean others cant. Its natural to panic after a 5-0 loss isnt it?

Looks like he''s a left footer i.e. left sided like Whibread hopefully can bring the right shape to the defence, is this the end for Turner? maybe not but is there space in the squad for 5 CB''s? 

This messageboard never ceases to amaze me. Good to see people aren''t writing Bassong off already. :/

If Lambert had signed him, posters would have been going on about how happy they were because he has something to prove and is still young. And even better, he has the Premier League experience so many were calling for last season.

Give the lad a chance.

To go back to Ricardo''s question as to whether this is a panic buy, the number 5 shirt has not been given to any existing CB, which suggests to me that there was likely to be another CB coming in. Bassong could be the one he''s been working towards. CH obviously knows him well, and I think it''s a good move. Barnett to go on loan or leave?

[quote user="pete"]Looks like he''s a left footer i.e. left sided like Whibread hopefully can bring the right shape to the defence, is this the end for Turner? maybe not but is there space in the squad for 5 CB''s?

Turner Bassong Bennett ..... and a fight out between Ward and Barnett

[/quote]

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]To go back to Ricardo''s question as to whether this is a panic buy, the number 5 shirt has not been given to any existing CB, which suggests to me that there was likely to be another CB coming in. Bassong could be the one he''s been working towards. CH obviously knows him well, and I think it''s a good move. Barnett to go on loan or leave?[/quote]

Good point, especially as the number 5 shirt is Bassong''s favourite (that''s his number of Cameroon, was his number at Metz and possibly Newcastle).

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I can''t say I''m overjoyed with this. I work with a load of spurs fans who find this quite amusing as he "has a mistake a game in him"...isn''t that like, Ward, Turner (1 game granted), Barnett, Bennett, and Ayala who has just gone out on loan? (why?) I cant see how he is going to improve the team and more importantly, his head was turned in Newcastle''s relegation season as the last few games "he wasn''t at the races". Sound rather familiar. He jumped ship to Spurs when they were relegated. Surely we need a pacey winger ahead of another centre back?[/quote]

I know plenty of Spurs fans too but I can''t say I''d always trust their opinions.

This time last year one of them told me that he fully expects Aguero to be a flop in the Premier League.

Anyway, you rarely find a defender who hasn''t got a mistake in his game. These things are often more about fans false perceptions than anything else.

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]Did he get player of the year at Newcastle under Hughton''s management?[/quote] Yes and then Spurs signed him for £8m[/quote]

Hughton wasn''t manager at the time, but was Shearer''s assistant - so certainly at the club and will know Bassong well.

Jesus **** wept!You lot are unbelievable.Judging him on playing at Wolves.  Who played well for Wolves last year? Would anyone perform well in such a dire situation?Hughton obviously knows him, yet its a "panic buy".No better than what we have - Spurs paid 8 million quid for a highly rated young defender with pace.Some of you need to really, really get real.  We are not going to sign Vidic, so players like this are our level.Good signing.

well its an absolutely cracking signing if he gets back to his pre Spuds form.  Perhaps Hughton''s coaching was the reason he set the PL on fire whilst up at Newcastle.  Strange to see who drops out though.....Would be weird for Turner to sign for 2mill odd and basically end up as first choice reserve?!Still.....you never know, but this is a signing im very happy with.

Looks to me like an excellent signing and one that clearly shows our club''s determination to put together a squad capable of keeping up. Now I understand the loan of Ayala and have some acceptance of it too, that vacant number 5 shirt was clearly waiting for this signing. But, warning...let''s give him a chance and accept that he may too make the occasional mistake! 

He wasn''t "terrible" for Wolves last season. Bit of a mixed bag apparently but i think got p**sed off having wlked into a bickering dressing room with players at each other''s throats. Seem to remember him having a go at some of his team mates for being unprofessional. He''s got a decent premiership pedegree and importantly should add some pace to our back line. Lets hope Hoot can get him back to the form of his newcastle days.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]He wasn''t "terrible" for Wolves last season. Bit of a mixed bag apparently but i think got p**sed off having wlked into a bickering dressing room with players at each other''s throats. Seem to remember him having a go at some of his team mates for being unprofessional. He''s got a decent premiership pedegree and importantly should add some pace to our back line. Lets hope Hoot can get him back to the form of his newcastle days.[/quote]What he said

Happy with this signing! He''s a good player. Garrido, Bassong, Turner, and Whittaker is a genuine Premier League back 4, with Tierney, Bennett, Ward and R.Martin as a championship quality cover back 4.

Pleased with this signing.  It must have been in the works last week to get to the stage of being announced this morning, plus as people have pointed out the no 5 shirt can''t have been left unallocated for no reason.

But let''s be honest, after Saturday it would have been an easy decision to finalise.

Be interesting now to see if we get anyone in up front, given the persistent rumours about Vaughan and the fact that he wasn''t brought on.

If it''s true, I think it could be an excellent signing.

I am sure that he will make some mistakes, name me a player who doesn''t but he has plenty of top level experience, which our goals against tally last year suggests that we need. I''m not sure what some people expect!

Really good signing, something i have learnt is that we are a County, Club, City of moaners everything new is greeted with disdain.

If we had beat Fulham and signed him i think the place would be buzzing.

Quite pleased with this signing, as mentioned, had a very good season in 09.

Quick sniff around a couple of Spurs forums, they feel he''ll do well here.

Pleased with this addition to our team. He may well have one mistake a game in him, but that''s already an improvement on our centrebacks'' usual two or three. A mobile defender with top flight experience, pow!

I don''t really know enough about this fella, but going from what some have said he''s a decent signing for us.
Only thing I''m worried about is the price tag, it''s not been mentioned by anybody at all. The only figure mentioned was the £8m... I don''t think I would have wanted us to spend that much...

[quote user="ncfc4lyf"]He was good 3 seasons back, but looked weak for Wolves

Poor signing.[/quote]Only good 3 seasons back? Looked weak for Wolves in all of those epic 9 games?Poor signing?You''re a joke. Barely arrived and you''re writing him off

I would think the price now would be around 1.5-2m given that he''s 3 years older (though still only 26) and the Spurs price was inflated. Good signing, which makes me more confident about the future.

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]I don''t really know enough about this fella, but going from what some have said he''s a decent signing for us.
Only thing I''m worried about is the price tag, it''s not been mentioned by anybody at all. The only figure mentioned was the £8m... I don''t think I would have wanted us to spend that much...
[/quote]Will be nowhere near that price mate. Wouldn''t really feature under AVB and there''s about 6 CB''s there who are all decent too so I can''t imagine it''s more than a few million max. Hopefully the wages aren''t too high either

I''m stood firmly in the happy box on this signing. An international defender who has experience in the Premiership, has something to prove and is still young enough to develop further. He has also played under our current manager previously and won player of the season in doing so. The only downside to this is potentially losing him during the African Nations run later in the season. Overall, i''m happy with this but would like to see another striker arrive to be honest.

I highly doubt the panic buy angle. Completing a full transfer for someone that is under contract just seems like it would take more than 3 days (since Fulham). Personally I believe this is a good signing, and it''s a different one than we''re used to. He''s pacy, very strong and good in the air. It baffles me how a majority of our fans are writing him off already, seeing as we have been crying out for pace at the back for as long as I can remember . Let''s remember that Spurs saw something in him when they bought him as well. Hardly a poor team are they.