Sign in to follow this  
York Canary

Increased bid for Bunn apparently

According to the Daily Mail we''ve increased bid to almost £1m. Could be BS, but already admitted an enquiry so it''s possible

I will be very disappointed if this happens. He is 27 years old and could have quite a few years in front of him, but we have three keepers, all younger, with far more promise than him.

If we really must have another keeper I would have thought an older pro who could provide competition and cover for 2 or 3 seasons maximum would be a better bet whilst the youngsters Rudd and Steer develop.

Rudd and steer would develop by going on loan, looking at yellow walls sig I''m interested on his take on this.

Do we ban the loan system only when its to our detriment?

Even the first bid was mystifying, - why do we need someone to sit on the bench for so many weeks and who will have no long term future with us, as we have two very good keepers coming through, quite apart from John Ruddy. Money is short,- not enough to buy a good striker which we badly need.

It is a sad reflection of Rudd and Steer, both of who have played confidently and well for the first team and well when called upon.

I''m sure it would be on the advice of Dave Watson who knows his stuff so don''t worry too much mate. He''s probably better than we think and at a more mature age than Decs and Jed.

Unless of course we''re after him because Calderwood knows him from his Northampton days and rates him..then he''s probably s***;)

I understand that we are looking for someone to compete with Ruddy, but do we really need to spend up to a million - for that sort of money i expect a first choice goalie to come in. I think Ruddy is more than capable for us, while hopefully the younger guys can spend half a season out on loan each. As long as we still have money to buy one more defender and a striker i wont complain though

[quote user="York Canary"]According to the Daily Mail we''ve increased bid to almost £1m. Could be BS, but already admitted an enquiry so it''s possible[/quote]

It doesn''t say that. It says up "from £300,000 to nearer £1m.". Anything above £300,000 is nearer to £1m.

[quote user="York Canary"]According to the Daily Mail we''ve increased bid to almost £1m. Could be BS, but already admitted an enquiry so it''s possible[/quote]

It doesn''t say that.

It says we''ve increased our bid from £300k to nearer £1m.

£400k is nearer £1m than £300k.

Rudd has barely played for the first team and hardly at all in league games. Steer even less so. A good long season of starts is the only way to genuinely improve. What is the point in having young lads rotting away on the bench and gaining no first team experience except for a cup game here and there? And even then Steer and Rudd would have to split the duties.

They can learn only so much from Dave Watson at the club, but they will learn nothing of real pressure and first team action.

This is very good news in my book! We desperately need a back-up GK with Premier League experience, surely that''s clear for all to see? Taking absolutely nothing away from the excellent Rudd and Steer, they simply do not have the level of experience (at any level) to be suitable to sit on the bench in The Premier League for what is going to be a very, very tough season.

I remember very well what happened some years ago when we lost Gunn and Andy Marshall (very highly rated youngster at that time) came in, other than a cracking first game vs Newcastle he wasnt up to it, not ability wise, but experience wise and being able to handle the pressure in what was a tough season. We simply cannot afford for similar to happen should anything happen to Ruddy.

PL made few mistakes, but his failure not to sign an experienced back-up GK was one big one and I never really understood it, as GK is one position where you simply cant take a risk and this, if it happens, may just be the most important signing so far when looking at the bigger picture. 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

It doesn''t say that. It says up "from £300,000 to nearer £1m.". Anything above £300,000 is nearer to £1m.

[/quote]

Sorry, I worded that poorly. You are quite right and it indeed could even be £1 nearer to a million! I imagine it will be made up of all sorts of add-ons too

If we pay 500-750k for Bunn and that allows us to loan out Steer and Rudd money well spent imo. Sitting on the bench is not helping their development.

I don''t see why we need to buy him, especially for a million. Rudd and Steer will do just fine on loan then they can come back. The club has a good record with keepers too which we should be proud of.

Also this would be harsh on Bunn because he is moving from one bench to the other...a bit cruel?

[quote user="York Canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

Sorry, I worded that poorly. You are quite right and it indeed could even be £1 nearer to a million! I imagine it will be made up of all sorts of add-ons too

[/quote]

YC, the Lancashire Telegraph puts it this way:

Blackburn Rovers'' reserve stopper has handed in a transfer request as he looks for permission to speak to the Canaries – after they had a first bid for less than £500,000 rejected last week. Rovers are now considering Norwich’s new bid for the former Northampton man, understood to be closer to £1million, and are expected to make their decision today.

As with the Mail story the wording is ambiguous. But I assume they both mean (actually the LT may be the source of the Mail story) that the new bid is some way above £500,000.

"don''t see why we need to buy him, especially for a million. Rudd and Steer will do just fine on loan then they can come back. The club has a good record with keepers too which we should be proud of.

Also this would be harsh on Bunn because he is moving from one bench to the other...a bit cruel?"

Who''s going to be backup while Rudd and Steer are out on loan? Bunn knows he isn''t going to displace an England keeper, just move to a nicer place and a nicer pay packet.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="York Canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

YC, the Lancashire Telegraph puts it this way:

Blackburn Rovers'' reserve stopper has handed in a transfer request as he looks for permission to speak to the Canaries – after they had a first bid for less than £500,000 rejected last week. Rovers are now considering Norwich’s new bid for the former Northampton man, understood to be closer to £1million, and are expected to make their decision today.

As with the Mail story the wording is ambiguous. But I assume they both mean (actually the LT may be the source of the Mail story) that the new bid is some way above £500,000.

[/quote]

That is interesting..

If you said he was £1m then it would sound a hell of a lot for a sub keeper to me, but if you said he was even £900k it wouldn''t seem half as bad! Like the pricing in supermarkets e.g £9.99 instead of £10

I completely agree with Dubai Mark.

I often winder what would have happened if Gunn hadn''t been injured that season (or if we had got agood cover). From recollection, I think we were 6th when the injury happened.

Think of all the money that the lack of goalkeeping cover cost us!

The view of the new keeping coaching must be that he does not think rudd/steer are ready or likely to improve enough?   Given his recent record and having just signed him why would we not trust his record & opinion having worked with our guys???

Isn''t Bunn that keeper who that stormer at Anfield that time? pulled off several world class saves if that was him.

I don''t why some of you lot rate Decs and Jed so highly. They both desperately need to get game time and that clearly won''t happen here for the time being. They have both looked ok in the short appearances they have had but some of you go on like we have the next joe hart or peter schmeichel(that probably is not spelt correctly).

There potential is being ruined sitting on the bench week in week out.

This would be good move by Hughton

He want''s the move to get first team football, so I don''t think he will be happy on the bench as a replacement for Steer and Rudd to go out on loan

CH sent Butland on loan to get experience and the next minute he''s in the England squad! I think he knows what he''s doing....

I think it is a good idea - Bunn is highly thought of by Rovers fans who reckon he should be their number one. I just dont get this insistence that some supporters have that they always know better than the manager. We have a highly respected coach/manager and England''s goalkeeping coach here - if they reckon we need a keeper and one/both of our lads to go on loan, they are probably right.

As good as Ruddy has been for us, it''ll be good for him to have some serious competition for the No.1 jersey.

Right now, if he has a couple of bad games he still knows he will not be displaced by Rudd or Steer.

Bunn pushing him everyday could drive him to perform even better. It''s not good for any player to get complacent.

Hmmm... this has Ruddy being sold all over it, though not yet. Possibly in January or more likely, the end of the season. You would get £4M or so for him.

We have a strange situation where the number one keeper has no competition, as much as the potential of Rudd & Steer, they''re not going to displace Ruddy. I rate Steer over Rudd, who looks more confident.

Norwich are often praised for having good young keepers coming through, but they hardly ever play them! I''d develop Steer and save the money.

Gilks was a player who was apparently outstanding in training, but never got a game! Bunn, you have been warned!

"According to the Daily Mail we''ve increased bid to almost £1m. Could be BS, but already admitted an enquiry so it''s possible"

As City don''t disclose anything bar what can be ''guestimated''  from the accounts this is, as you say, BS

The only thing that can be said with any certainty is that every single one of these idiotic figures are almost always way, way out

However they do allow the witless to delude themselves that they somehow have some detailed involvement

As to him (or another keeper) joining us I have to agree with Penquin (above)