Sign in to follow this  
olster

QPR/Swansea/West Ham/Saints Spending power/Transfer Activity

I know we are trying to ensure we do not get into massive debt again by not spending loads of money on players  that do not make prem survival 100%

I just makes me a little sick when you see the likes of West Ham going in for players like Carrol at 17m  and Jarvis from Wolves for 10million....

I know Swansea sold Allen to Liverpool for 15m,  but even they are buying players for 2m here and 5m for the lad from Celtic....  That lad Micu looked awesome against QPR at the weekend?   who did we get some championship player who has potential?   we need someone to set the world on fire NOW! 

Why are we not taking buying a proven striker with pace?   

sorry to moan,  but really worried about where we are going....    

[quote user="olster"]

I know we are trying to ensure we do not get into massive debt again by not spending loads of money on players  that do not make prem survival 100%

I just makes me a little sick when you see the likes of West Ham going in for players like Carrol at 17m  and Jarvis from Wolves for 10million....

I know Swansea sold Allen to Liverpool for 15m,  but even they are buying players for 2m here and 5m for the lad from Celtic....  That lad Micu looked awesome against QPR at the weekend?   who did we get some championship player who has potential?   we need someone to set the world on fire NOW! 

Why are we not taking buying a proven striker with pace?   

sorry to moan,  but really worried about where we are going....    

[/quote]
So, are you going to try and take over the club soon and provide us with the financial muscle to buy these players? Thought not.

I''d be worried if NCFC were bidding 17 million on Carroll lol.But I know what you mean, but I think we are still buying good players, maybe not the standards of other teams, but in fairness if we were spending millions on players, I would be more worried.

I''m going to guess that Bassong didnt come cheap and expect an additional striker and hopefully back-up keeper to be signed soon, so our total spending will now look like it will live up to the billing, something I was sceptical off and looks like to prove me wrong. But, yes at first thought I get a bit frustrated seeing some of these other teams signings. However, when you look at most of the players they are signing we could only afford them with additional financial backing anyway plus several of them are way over priced, for example Jarvis at 10 million. I think being a City supportor you have to have a balanced and reasonable view of what we can afford right now knowing that the club is building gradually without getting themselves into a Portsmouth situation......a place QPR could find themselves in if they dont perform this season. Also, putting the dismal performance on Saturday to one side we do actually have a very decent squad that includes some excellent developing talent.  

As we know our board have always been prudent,maybe a little to much in the past but spending 10 million + on a player plus wages for us is a step to far at the moment,West Ham have the back up of Mr Gold,Southampton struck lucky with their owners after having there debt written off and Swansea obviously have a bit of money to blow,wonder what the reaction would be if we did blow 25 million + on players got relegated and found ourselves in massive debt again.

Lest we not remember that the First million pound transfer was in 1978, Norwich didn''t spend a million until 1994 (Newsome) then didn''t go past that amount until 2005 when we signed Ashton. So we are quite the way behind in some respects as far as transfers go

If that lucky git from Suffolk hadn''t scooped £150m ans it was this unlucky git our money problems would be over.  £150m obscene amount to win when ordinary bloke just give it to NCFC hopefully not ITFC for Jewell to waste.

Sour grapes jusy a bunch, 

Why does it make you sick? Is it because like some others on here you have become blinded by the Premier league money machine and now judge a transfer on the headline fee?If so you are helping to perpetuate the myth that people from Norfolk are as thick as ****.Swansea - same income as us from Premier league plus as you say they sold a player for 15m, so they are +15m on our spending power by simple mathematics.West Ham - bankrolled by two very rich men.Southampton - bankrolled by someone who''s wealth is estimated at 3 billion.QPR - bankrolled by billionaires.Are you beginning to see a pattern click in your mind?  If so, you answered your own question:"Why are we not taking buying a proven striker with pace?  "Because everyone wants one and they cost about £10 million, plus addons, plus massive agent fees, plus £80k a week ages.

It really is very simple, we don''t have that sort of money.

Is that clear enough for the rest of the "football manager" playing dreamers as well?

According to the Guardian, QPR are also going to bid for Defoe. This really annoys me, we''re trying to a build a team within our means, whereas QPR are just trying to buy survival.

But as they are bankrolled by billionaires why shouldn''t they?  If we were bankrolled by them, people like you would be screaming for us to spunk massive cash on any ****er we could get.[quote user="safri_free_kick"]According to the Guardian, QPR are also going to bid for Defoe. This really annoys me, we''re trying to a build a team within our means, whereas QPR are just trying to buy survival. [/quote]

I do love this idea that somehow all the board has to do is write out a cheque and the bank will simply cash it, irrespective of how much money we have in the account.

"Is that Barclays Bank, it''s David McNally here .... we have this plan, it''s called ''hambition'' and we need some money ....... yes, quite a lot actually"

"That''s no problem Mr McNally, just fill out the amount of noughts needed on the cheques and we will see they go through ok, just keep a note of how much they come to and we can sort something out when you do get into the Champions League ... if not, don''t worry you can always pay us back when you can ............ or even have some more if you want "

I share the OPs concerns and hope that we maybe have one marquee signing up our sleeve that might make people feel a little better about things.

That said people paying huge (over the top) fees for players does not automatically make them better players. carroll is not worth £17m let along what liverpool paid for him. Jarvis is a good player but just because they may pay £10m for him does that make him a better player than Pilkington? I would suggest that in the overall scheme of things the latter was more successful (and influential for his club) last season.

[quote user="safri_free_kick"]According to the Guardian, QPR are also going to bid for Defoe. This really annoys me, we''re trying to a build a team within our means, whereas QPR are just trying to buy survival. [/quote]Makes me laugh when the media call QPR ''''Ambitious'''' but seems to me they will just buy any player that is out of favour with their clubs and barely surviving the league.

[quote user="kellybrook"]Why does it make you sick? Is it because like some others on here you have become blinded by the Premier league money machine and now judge a transfer on the headline fee?If so you are helping to perpetuate the myth that people from Norfolk are as thick as ****.Swansea - same income as us from Premier league plus as you say they sold a player for 15m, so they are +15m on our spending power by simple mathematics.West Ham - bankrolled by two very rich men.Southampton - bankrolled by someone who''s wealth is estimated at 3 billion.QPR - bankrolled by billionaires.Are you beginning to see a pattern click in your mind?  If so, you answered your own question:"Why are we not taking buying a proven striker with pace?  "Because everyone wants one and they cost about £10 million, plus addons, plus massive agent fees, plus £80k a week ages.

It really is very simple, we don''t have that sort of money.

Is that clear enough for the rest of the "football manager" playing dreamers as well?[/quote]

I think anyone - like myself - who plays Football Manager as Norwich will find that we don''t have the money to do that! Had about £4m to spend in 2011/12 so about right.

If we can buy cheap players now, with enough ability to keep us in the Prem, then in a few years we''ll have a very sound financial footing, be a solid, mid-table Premier League club with the resources to improve if needs be. That''s the aim!

What ever happened to the rule coming in where you could only spend 50% of your income on player wages. Surely QPR with their 18k seater stadium will be stuffed if this rule does take effect?

I think English football is in a very bad position, as any plan to try and cap this rediculous spending will cripple so many clubs that it can''t really be put into effect without destroying the league.

Something needs to be done to bring some normality back into football. If any rule did come in to effect which restricted wages, I think Norwich and Arsenal would be the only 2 teams left in the league!

If QPR go down this season and Fernandes walks out, QPR are over. What about if the Man City Sheiks ''walk out'' and nobody is interested in taking them over, that would be the end of another club. Surely this can''t keep happening...

I am content with our transfer policy of operating within our means and it served us well last year. It is important to get the balance right between prudence and ambition; we want to stay in this league but we shouldn''t be risking the club''s future as others have done. One or two more players, on permanent contracts or loans, would be good to see, but I don''t think we need to be spending big money on them.

I am not jealous of QPR, Soton or West Ham spending millions because it doesn''t guarantee success. Few of their signings seem to be shrewd investments, most are gambles. Swansea appears to be doing things the right way, I was particularly impressed with Michu. What matters for us is that our team evolves and plays with the same determination and spirit as last season. I think in terms of personnel we have improved upon last season.

[quote user="Vazzza"]

What ever happened to the rule coming in where you could only spend 50% of your income on player wages. Surely QPR with their 18k seater stadium will be stuffed if this rule does take effect?

I think English football is in a very bad position, as any plan to try and cap this rediculous spending will cripple so many clubs that it can''t really be put into effect without destroying the league.

Something needs to be done to bring some normality back into football. If any rule did come in to effect which restricted wages, I think Norwich and Arsenal would be the only 2 teams left in the league!

If QPR go down this season and Fernandes walks out, QPR are over. What about if the Man City Sheiks ''walk out'' and nobody is interested in taking them over, that would be the end of another club. Surely this can''t keep happening...

[/quote]

I''m not sure if that is one of  the Financial Fair Play Rules, but those rules are coming in, But, unless I have misunderstood, they have not yet been adopted by the Premier League and so do not at the moment apply to PL clubs. They only apply to PL clubs that want to play in Europe. I came across this today, on an independent website that looks at FFP which, by chance, mentions QPR:

Owners of clubs well adrift of the lucrative Champions League slots have several reasons for potentially choosing not to comply with the UEFA FFP rules (even at the expense of a UEFA competition ban). The revenue received for taking part in the Europa Cup is generally around £5m-£7m, compared to the new TV deal which will pay around £60m+ to clubs near the bottom of the division. Ambitious clubs with wealthy owners currently outside the top 6-8 clubs (such as QPR) may therefore feel the restrictions imposed by the UEFA rules outweigh the potential benefits, and could choose not to comply. UEFA''s FFP rules also require the owner to inject equity into the club to cover losses over E5m, up to the maximum Break-even deficit (E45m for the current Monitoring Period), - owners without the available funds may also decide not to apply for a UEFA licence.

FFP, exactly what I was thinking of. Surely it''s about time something like this is bought it to domestic leagues. The downfall of clubs such as Rangers and Pompey highlights that it''s a serious problem and that nobody is safe. Maybe we need the downfall of a top premiership club before the FA take some sort of action.

Well if QPR don''t occupy one of the relegation spots this year, I hope they qualify for Europe and can''t enter!!

I never understand why people cant take pride in us doing things in a sustainable way. So West Ham are spending 10m on Jarvis and offered 17m for Carroll i cant say i''d want either of those players at that price. Having seen Fernandes at QPR he comes across as the sort of guy who likes a premier league toy to show off to his business associates, he''ll be bored before you know it. Swansea lost two key players and maybe a third in Sinclair they have to replace them and try and improve, I''m sure if we''d sold one of our best players for 15m we''d be spending the money back on the team.

The sad reality is that 3 teams will be relegated.many teams are spending cash to avoid the drop, some will be successful but i would bet that at least 2 relegated teams this season will have over extended themselves to the point whereby they will be pushed to the brink financially. as for us we do not have a suger daddy so we have to live within our means. Inspired leadership and shrewd signings can keep us up as to if we have either we will have a good idea by christmas. If we are in extreme difficulties by the end of the year then it will be a mountain to climb as either Hughton will be under pressure or gone, neither of which is good and we probably will not have enough cash to make much difference in the January window, so we go forward with plan A under Hughton without a plan b or c fingers crossed

Yeah building a brand new scouting system and training ground with academy is the sort of thing you do when you are just playing lol. Lets not forget placing bids on property so we can build a new stadium. Tony and the board have already stated our net transfer spend is 1.5mill and our wages are less than last years as we have sold or released 15 players.he has said this on sky sports,talkshite,five live and on twitter when a fan compared us to Pompey .

Apparently we are now in talks with julio cesar :) .

[quote user="Mike"]Yeah building a brand new scouting system and training ground with academy is the sort of thing you do when you are just playing lol. Lets not forget placing bids on property so we can build a new stadium. Tony and the board have already stated our net transfer spend is 1.5mill and our wages are less than last years as we have sold or released 15 players.he has said this on sky sports,talkshite,five live and on twitter when a fan compared us to Pompey .

Apparently we are now in talks with julio cesar :) .[/quote]LMAO net transfer spend of £1.5M?!  Who have you sold for any kind of significant amount of money?  It''s sad when you keep getting excited over signing 30+ players, it''s a rather short term attitude and will land you in the proverbial if you fail to survive.Anyway - looks like the PL are finally getting their act together over this, but clubs like QPR, Man City will be getting their knickers in a twist: Telegraph

A goalkeeper who is 32 is not old at all let alone a Brazilian international. Sorry how old was van der sar when he retired or brad friedal who is still playing?

On the telegraph article that''s great let''s have man united just sit at the top of the league forever..............

[quote user="Mike"]A goalkeeper who is 32 is not old at all let alone a Brazilian international. Sorry how old was van der sar when he retired or brad friedal who is still playing?[/quote]I wasn''t just referring to Cesar - although his signing will fill the rest of the squad with confidence wont it.  "Have a crap game and we''ll just go out and sign someone else", I bet Rob Green is DELIGHTED that he signed for you now.  Although I don''t feel too sorry for him because he only moved for the money.

On the age topic I already posted on this site the age of our players and most of them are under 28 we had no experience last at all so that is needed. We was always going to sign two keepers for competition . Rather has one keeper who is good and the back up keeper to be far worse.

I wouldnt ever want us to start chasing signings and to throw cash around that we couldnt afford.If QPR and Citeh can afford to splash and waste money then that''s up to them.Us staying up this season (and in future seasons if we hopefully become established in the PL) will be a lot more satisfying (my personal opinion) if we dont spend large amounts of money.

Agree with you there every club will do things differently depending on the situation of the club.i really do t get all this hate for us when a few years back we where near liquidation standing on the street with buckets raising money. Now If you look at every clubs forum we are hated because we have money?

The funniest post I have seen from a fan from another club was this.

"I don''t like them at all and hope they go down as they make a mockery of the transfer window. It is like a farcical raffle where every time a ticket is drawn the same person wins. They are taking everyone. But you have to admire their ambition"

If you want an illustration of how shallow and shortsighted the spending is, just look at the quiet way QPR have offloaded last season''s saviours.  Campbell and Bothroyd are good examples.  Big splash last year, total flops; now back down the leagues.  Money and grabbing everyone you can is not a guaranteed success route.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Mike"]A goalkeeper who is 32 is not old at all let alone a Brazilian international. Sorry how old was van der sar when he retired or brad friedal who is still playing?[/quote]

I wasn''t just referring to Cesar - although his signing will fill the rest of the squad with confidence wont it.  "Have a crap game and we''ll just go out and sign someone else", I bet Rob Green is DELIGHTED that he signed for you now.  Although I don''t feel too sorry for him because he only moved for the money.
[/quote]

Oh shush - just about every player only moves for the money.

QPR proabably have only spend a net £1.5m so far (on transfer fees) as most of the new players are on free transfers. The signing of Dawson will of course push this up much higher. However the figure Tony hasn''t mentioned is the amount spend on signing on fees/agent fees which I imagine will be astronomical. There will also be pretty hefty amounts spent on the loan fee for Carvalho and Fabio.

His comment about wages I find harder to believe but as QPR were massively over spending on wages last season then clearing out 15 players would probably help with this. Again I doubt wages will be lower when (if) Dawson, Carvalho and Julio sign on the dotted line.

The main issue I see for QPR is the amount of aging players stepping down a level rather than younger players trying to step up - it''s rare a player will move down from a big club and improve in their performances or even match them. Look at John O''Shea and Wes Brown last season, or even Shaun Wright-Phillips. My main fear for QPR would be players like Andy Johnson, Bosignwa, Carvalho and Julio just phoning in performances whilst picking up big cheques - it''s a scenario that has been seen time and time before at clubs like Newcastle before their relegation with Nicky Butt strolling through games, Gary Pallister marshalling Boro''s relegation (along with Ray Parlour) and pretty much all of the Portsmouth squad looking bemused as the club crashed and burnt (not that I think QPR will ever be in as much trouble as Portsmouth are now).

I like Tony Fernandes and I quite liked QPR, it seemed everything that could go wrong for them did for a while so was pleased that managed some success - would much prefer them in Premier League that out of it. Mark Hughes won''t make many friends though.