Sign in to follow this  
Damo

Sky Sports Transfer Clockwatch - Gary Hooper

The latest player to be linked with us is Celtic striker, Gary Hooper. Obviously it''s not a concrete story, but I thought I would share it anyway. £8million is the fee being reported.

On one hand, the fee is obscene, on the other, our need for a striker is quite obvious by the look of it!

It may be true, but I don''t think Celtic will need to spend. They are a team facing a new struggle for the SPL title by teams like Hearts in a season which many predicted that Celtic would have wrapped up the title pretty early on. Also, he is a regular starter for a team in the Champions League (and they''re playing at the moment, currently 0-2 up against Helsingborgs) which is something we can not compete against. Don''t see it happening if I''m honest, but never know! Numerous clubs are in for him as well by the sounds of it as well!

Cheers for that info that Sky are broadcasting it, may well have some truth in it.

Seen a few mentions on Twitter about Hooper.  8mil is well ove rthe top if true.  We''ll see.  A few more moves coming in the next 2 weeks...

Celtic currently 2 up in ECL qualifier - would hardly beleive he will leave there until the January transfer window when they get knocked out - he''ll be dreaming of Milan, Madrid, Barca etc.

I saw quite a few tweets about him earlier but couldn''t find any real source for them. Looks lot like idle chatter, for now.

Oh yeah, and the sky sports transfer clockwatch post just refers to the "your transfers" page which is absolutely no better than football-rumours.com

Would be an interesting signing if it happens, but I don''t see it as likely.

Personally, I think any more signings will follow the same theme as all our other signings this summer (minus Snodgrass) and come completely or almost completely out of the blue.

Well, seeing as Mr Hughton only seems to want to play one striker I don''t really see the need for another one, do you ?

I don''t agree with that. A lot of people thought Jelavic would struggle at Everton but he''s been a success. I like Hooper, would like to see him here personally. 
Not sure he''s worth £8 mil though.

I think Hooper is a really classy striker, at the end of the day if he gets chance he will put the ball in the back of the net, at whatever level you play you still have to finish and he is a proven finisher. 8 million is a lot but you pay a lot of money for a man that can score. The only issue is Celtic being in the champions league, if they were to get knocked out in the qualifiers it could happen but there 2 nil up with home leg to play, I see them in the group stage, they will all be on a big bonus if they make the group stage.

Would love Hooper here, watched him a few times and he is a natural goal scorer, some of his finishes are sublime, easily cut it in the premiership

Hooper knocked a few in for Scunthorpe in the Championship then moved to probably the easiest league in the world , anything over £3 million is too much , no better pedigree than Rhodes really .

He was the third highest goalscorer in the Championship with 19 goals in 35 matches. For a club who escaped relegation with 1 game to spare. For me that makes him one of the best players in the Championship and one who would have a very good chance of doing the buisness in the top flight.