Sign in to follow this  
Viva Marc Libbra

Vaughan Having Medical At Huddersfield

This has to be a joke! How can Vaughan leave when we have so few strikers and two of them aren''t premiership quality!

Bad move Hughton, bad move.

[quote]This has to be a joke! How can Vaughan leave when we have so few strikers and two of them aren''t premiership quality!

Bad move Hughton, bad move.[/quote]Shouldn''t we see whether a replacement comes in before judging how bad this move is?

"How can Vaughan leave when we have so few strikers "

maybe he is leaving to make space for others to come in

rather a complicated and over elaborate plan I must admit, but it might just be one the club has considered

I think there is little doubt that Vaughan is a great player, however he has not had an injury free season, a quick look at physioroom.com (which is generally interesting anyway) shows this.

I think if Vaughan can pull off an injury free productive season he will probably feature a lot in the coming seasons. However if he cant at least we havent been paying his wages to sit on the physio table.

I don''t get this piece of business at all.

He is a very good player by all accounts and the Club have invested a lot of money in him already, with little return.

Just as things have started to go right for him, we unload. We unload a player who, on his day, would be a more than useful striker for us. There are goals there, along with pace to complement Holt or Morison.

His replacement needs to be something else to appease me. Assuming one is coming in as you don''t really need many strikers if you play one up front.

[quote user="pablofarmer"]I think there is little doubt that Vaughan is a great player,  [/quote]

He''s not what I would call a "great" player.

This either fills me with fear or excitment!

Loaning out Vaughan is right for game time and to find his touch again!

BUT if we don''t have a ready made replacement lined up then this means Hughton is going to carry on with 1 up top! That fills me with fear!

OR he has that better striker lined up, surely we won''t go into a premership with only three strikers!

There must eb another striker lined up, must be!

Completely agree with you BroadstairsR

Liked him, fully fit season would''ve been interesting. One up front doesn''t appeal to me at all, and despite our plethora of midfield talent we could well struggle for goals unless we bring in a suitable replacement

[quote user="pablofarmer"]I think there is little doubt that Vaughan is a great player, however he has not had an injury free season, a quick look at physioroom.com (which is generally interesting anyway) shows this.

I think if Vaughan can pull off an injury free productive season he will probably feature a lot in the coming seasons. However if he cant at least we havent been paying his wages to sit on the physio table.[/quote]

Erm I think there''s quite a bit of doubt as to whether he''s a "great player" as he;s never actually done anything for us and last season when he played he just charged around a lot and didn;t show any real quality. He might have some promise yes but certainly no more than that. Regardless if you can''t get more than 10 games a season out of him then whats the point so i agree with you in respect of your latter point. As obviously does Hughton who has clearly been looking to get him out on loan since he took the job. I suspect this is to make room for another striker coming in. With us playing 1 up front at times this season he probably doesn;t want more than 4 strikers in the squad.

[quote user="pablofarmer"]I think there is little doubt that Vaughan is a great player.[/quote]

I don''t know about that - he has never proven anything either way. In his one full(ish) season he scored 9 goals in 30 games in the Championship - Chris Martin scored 7 in 29 games for the same club and is regarded not good enough.

Vaughan is a player who is living off the great potential he showed when 16/17 but he has never lived up to it as yet, mainly due to injuries, I say Norwich should cut thier loses now because if he gets injured again then his value is pretty much zero.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I don''t get this piece of business at all.

He is a very good player by all accounts and the Club have invested a lot of money in him already, with little return.

Just as things have started to go right for him, we unload. We unload a player who, on his day, would be a more than useful striker for us. There are goals there, along with pace to complement Holt or Morison.

His replacement needs to be something else to appease me. Assuming one is coming in as you don''t really need many strikers if you play one up front.

[/quote]

I think those comments are both highly arguable. And Hughton has now been able to assess Vaughan, in training and pre-season. Despite pessimism about our player budget being the highest ever, I thought all along that was true. And we are seeing signs of that in our purchases. Hughton is plainly trying to trade up in some positions from lower PL level to mid-table PL level. Snodgrass an example of that. Bassong too. Either N''Zonzi or Biglia would be. And so - I suspect - will be whoever Hughton is eyeing up to replace Vaughan.

We need to calm down and do two things:

1. Wait till the end of the transfer window. I would rather have Norwich do their business quietly than in public. Because of this, we have no news of another striker coming in. Maybe there is, we don''t know yet, so calm down and wait.

2. Wait 10 games before making any kind of judgement whatsoever about anything this season. We gave Lambert this freedom.

Ultimately, if Vaughan is leaving permanently or for a season, there are reasons. I, for one, never felt he settled in the area. Last season, even when fit and in contention to be involved in games, he was always travelling by plane between here and the north-west.

Don''t get me wrong. I like him and I always have. I feel he has a lot of quality. But he has never gone a season without a serious injury.

Most of all, I will never claim to know more than the manager in these instances. Hughton and co. have reasons and they know what they are doing. They know more about football than I or anybody else here does, not matter what some say.

[quote user="pablofarmer"]I think there is little doubt that Vaughan is a great player, however he has not had an injury free season, a quick look at physioroom.com (which is generally interesting anyway) shows this.

I think if Vaughan can pull off an injury free productive season he will probably feature a lot in the coming seasons. However if he cant at least we havent been paying his wages to sit on the physio table.[/quote]Lionel Messi is a great player. Maradona, Pele, Cryuff, Garrincha etc were great players.James Vaughan is an average player at best.

If Vaughan goes out then there''s no doubt in my mind that we have another one coming in. Vaughan will probably have been one of the highest earners at the club too so it will help to free up wages for the new arrival.

"Most of all, I will never claim to know more than the manager in these instances. Hughton and co. have reasons and they know what they are doing. They know more about football than I or anybody else here does, not matter what some say."

Yes, I agree and Hughton is beginning to make his mark which, seems to mean going in a completely different direction from PL''s. It now seems likely that our starting eleven will soon include three or more highly rated, and expensive, foreign players. I would not have expected this just yet under Lambert, and initially expected more of the same as last season. Scraping along and surviving just one more season until the big bucks started rolling in and the debt is off the Club''s back. They were my limited hopes.

To me, it is exciting, but I remain concerned that we may have moved into the big name, big wages arena prematurely.  

What the heck! I''m up for the ride and if it comes off CH will be my new hero and I will no longer make Villa''s result the first I look at.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]If Vaughan goes out then there''s no doubt in my mind that we have another one coming in. Vaughan will probably have been one of the highest earners at the club too so it will help to free up wages for the new arrival.[/quote]

Totally agree that it is to free up wages/space for an arrival. This is a win/win situation for us really. If he goes and does well, stays injury free and scores goals his value will skyrocket. (young, English etc) Or he comes back with a full season under his belt better placed to fulfil his potential with us.

If it does not work out for him, injury or form etc, then we cut our losses without having to pay his wages this season.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]If Vaughan goes out then there''s no doubt in my mind that we have another one coming in. Vaughan will probably have been one of the highest earners at the club too so it will help to free up wages for the new arrival.[/quote]

This is the impression I got when Hughton was interviewed about it a few weeks ago. From that point I''ve been resigned to Vaughan leaving and not being part of Hughton''e plans even though he played in friendlies. Just adds more weight to my view that theses friendlies are totally misleading.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

"Most of all, I will never claim to know more than the manager in these instances. Hughton and co. have reasons and they know what they are doing. They know more about football than I or anybody else here does, not matter what some say."

Yes, I agree and Hughton is beginning to make his mark which, seems to mean going in a completely different direction from PL''s. It now seems likely that our starting eleven will soon include three or more highly rated, and expensive, foreign players. I would not have expected this just yet under Lambert, and initially expected more of the same as last season. Scraping along and surviving just one more season until the big bucks started rolling in and the debt is off the Club''s back. They were my limited hopes.

To me, it is exciting, but I remain concerned that we may have moved into the big name, big wages arena prematurely.  

What the heck! I''m up for the ride and if it comes off CH will be my new hero and I will no longer make Villa''s result the first I look at.

[/quote]

BroadstairS, we will never know, but Lambert may have decided he needed to start going down this path anyway, if he had stayed. I''m not so worried about big names, or to be precise about the big names we have either signed or might sign. They don''t look like Finidi George-style time-wasters to me. But the question of wages might be a worry.

Season long loan confirmed. Yep, good luck james. Now then.....who are we getting in in his place? let the rumours..........................begin!

Its confirmed - he''s gone for the season.

I''m suprised - by all accounts he was good in pre-season.

I thought we would have given him a few games at least. Perhaps he just didn''t impress hughton enough?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Just adds more weight to my view that theses friendlies are totally misleading.

[/quote]

Don''t say that! You''ll start em off again!

Two players, Ayala and now Vaughan, that a lot of us had high hopes of this season being loaned out whilst lesser players who fill their positions remain at the Club.

This new manager is turning into a bit of an enigma to me. He''s certainly his own man and hopefully knows his onions.

I am going to question that statement about lesser players Broadstairs. If people think Ayala was the answer this season I think they are gravely mistaken. He is composed on the ball but he made some horrendous errors last season. Such as West Brom where he was favourite for the ball and not only contrived to give away a penalty but it was also a nasty challenge that could of seen red on another day. These mistakes are put down to inexperience and rawness. While Ward is branded a disaster and liability for a bad performance against Liverpool. Conveniently ignoring a top showing against Swansea and his part in a successful Championship team.

Granted Vaughan has had a decent pre season. But what has he achieved achieved in his career so far to suggest any of Jackson, Holt or Morison are inferior players. All of them have achieved more at Championship level in terms of goals than Vaughan has. If another striker comes in this isnt a terrible piece of business. If we are left with only 4 recognised strikers then I agree it starts to look a bit more dodgy.

Fair enough Jacko, but I would honestly have expected a greater contribution up front from Vaughan than from Jacko or Martin this coming season. I, personally, was impressed by Ayala''s play last season, although he was a bit raw and made mistakes, and assumed he that there would be better things to come. I am not one of those that berates Ward, but I would have preferred to have seen Barnett loaned out than Ayala.

The fact that both these are only loans suggests that they may well be seen in the yellow again.

I would even argue Broadstairs that their isn''t masses of difference between Chris Martin and James Vaughan based on actual performance. Both have been placed in exactly the same environment (i.e. on loan at Crystal Palace) and both have returned very similar results. Vaughan with 30 appearances and 9 goals. Martin with 26 appearances and 7 goals. Having potential is one thing but you do need to start proving yourself after a while.