Sign in to follow this  
Keyserzoze

Alex Tettey

[quote user="Fromage Frais"]Does anyone remember him playing against England he played right up until the end and stood out as being a good player.[/quote]

Indeed, here''s some analysis of that performance;

Sat deep at the foot of midfield and occupied space to prevent England midfielders from picking the ball up in space. Economical use of the ball.

On another note his position for Rennes was the right side of a defensive midfield pair sitting behind an attacking midfield three and a lone striker.

[quote user="Fromage Frais"]Does anyone remember him playing against England he played right up until the end and stood out as being a good player.[/quote]Yeah I remember keeping an eye on him as I''ve been a fan for a while and thought he''d be perfect for Norwich. I also thought the same about Abdellaoue so watch this space [;)]

Seems a really nice guy in the interview on Canaries Player, I''m actually thinking he may fit in better than Baglia would have done........

[quote user="super canary"]Do you know something imminent striker related then prozac?[/quote]Unfortunately not but I''m hoping we sign him, I''ve seen him linked with us a couple of times on Twitter and Not606.

Hi all.

Norwegian fan here.

Norwegian norwich supporters are a little concerned by the tettey deal, and that he has a lot to prove.

But he hasnt played that much recently and somewhat a wildcard. the games ive seen of him ( for norway ) he looked pretty solid.a young guy at one point with a fantastic future, that hasnt blossomed with the expectations...that is how i feel...but when that is said, i hope and feel this could be a great signing..fingers crossed..

Tore

[quote user="Tore Raaen"]Hi all. Norwegian fan here. Norwegian norwich supporters are a little concerned by the tettey deal, and that he has a lot to prove. But he hasnt played that much recently and somewhat a wildcard. the games ive seen of him ( for norway ) he looked pretty solid.a young guy at one point with a fantastic future, that hasnt blossomed with the expectations...that is how i feel...but when that is said, i hope and feel this could be a great signing..fingers crossed.. Tore[/quote]

Thanks good to hear.

Don''t forget that Chris Hughton has a great record of bringing back players who are a little lost.  The most recent example is Curtis Davis

As a fan of Tetteys old norwegian club Rosenborg I''m really looking forward to seeing him for Norwich, hopefully it will be a good match. As many already have pointet out he has great physique, with excellent strength and stamina and also decent speed. His technical abilities are good for his position in terms of ball control, his passing is decent, and his tactical understanding and positioning is also good, but it is definetly his physique and work rate that stand out in my opinion. He covers vast areas on the pitch and can run all day. In his last season in Rosenborg he played more or less as a box-to-box midfielder, but it seems he have been playing more of a holding role in Rennes.In Rennes he has struggled with injuries and the fact that is direct competition was a guy called M''Vila, but hopefully he''ll catch a bit of luck in Norwich and get a good streak of games. As long as he stays away from injuries I think he''ll do well. Off the pitch he has always been a good guy, no fuzz. Positive and "bubbly" personality. Think the fans will like him.Looking forward to following the Canaries a bit this year!

[quote user="Banor"]As a fan of Tetteys old norwegian club Rosenborg I''m really looking forward to seeing him for Norwich, hopefully it will be a good match. As many already have pointet out he has great physique, with excellent strength and stamina and also decent speed. His technical abilities are good for his position in terms of ball control, his passing is decent, and his tactical understanding and positioning is also good, but it is definetly his physique and work rate that stand out in my opinion. He covers vast areas on the pitch and can run all day. In his last season in Rosenborg he played more or less as a box-to-box midfielder, but it seems he have been playing more of a holding role in Rennes.

In Rennes he has struggled with injuries and the fact that is direct competition was a guy called M''Vila, but hopefully he''ll catch a bit of luck in Norwich and get a good streak of games. As long as he stays away from injuries I think he''ll do well. Off the pitch he has always been a good guy, no fuzz. Positive and "bubbly" personality. Think the fans will like him.

Looking forward to following the Canaries a bit this year!
[/quote]

Sounds exactly like what we could do with. I just hope that his all-action style doesn''t keep injuring him like it did to players like Hargreaves and our own Vaughan

I think it looks increasingly likely we''ll play a flexible 4-1-2-2-1 or similar with tettey holding, 2 centre mids and 2 wingers. 4-5-1 didn''t work last week because we played a flat 5 in midfield. With a dedicated holding mid, pilkington and snodgrass will be able to offer holt greater support.

Who knows about tomorrow though with tettey not yet available.

e.g.:

ruddy

garrido bassong turner/bennett whittaker

tettey

snodgrass howson hoolahan pilkington

holt

Hi guys!It turns out that I have been ahead of myself, and created a user here years ago, although I can''t remember the occasion.But anyway, as a Norwegian Rosenborg supporter, I have fond memories of Alexander Tettey, as an up-and-coming local talent, and especially during his last 12 months in Norway, when he was just getting better and better, and towards the end, couldn''t stop scoring goals. So I thought I could pay a visit to your board, and share some of my memories of him, and hope they turn out to be useful for you. After all, it seems most of you don''t know much about him yet.I wouldn''t call Tettey a strictly defensive midfielder. He is of good use there, because of his pace and good duelling skills, but his best period in Rosenborg was while he was paired with Anthony Annan (son of the aforementioned Coffee''s cousin) - who sat back and shielded the defense very effectively - which enabled Tettey to act as a box-to-box player, using his stamina and pace to be much involved in attack, and after a long period of missing chance after chance (seriously, he was doing this in every match for a long period. Unfortunately, I can''t find more videos - btw, I left a little guide in the comments section), he started putting them away as well (you''ve already seen this).Also, if you want to see Tettey playing at his very best, you should see this little video of what is probably Rosenborg''s best match in the past decade. Tettey played an integral part as the holding midfielder in a (unusual) 4-1-2-1-2 formation, and the video includes him doing a cheeky nutmeg on some Spaniard before starting a counter attack, and much, much more (with #19 written on his back).Some of you have already mentioned his post-signing interview, where he comes off pretty well. In the past, interviews involving Tettey have always been a highlight (and he was the favourite interview subject of many a reporter). He is always cheerful, sincere and trying to get a smile out of the people around him, and at the same time he seems pretty bright. Here he is involved in sabotaging another player''s interview.This post is coloured by the fact that I want Tettey to succeed in Norwich City, and, of course, there is a chance that he won''t. In earlier years, his major weakness has been in the form of sudden, inexplicable errors (with decreasing frequency). But when he is played the right way, and playing with confidence, he can be a real asset both in defence and in attack.PS: The first time I remember seeing Tettey play (even though he had appeared briefly before, his name didn''t ring any bells at the time), was when he came on as a substitute at half time away against Real Madrid in 2005. I vividly remember how he had a completely different way of running than the other Rosenborg players, which I liked. Apart from my interest, his appearance also earned him a cameo in Goal! (briefly seen at 3:17 in this clip).

"his best period in Rosenborg was while he was paired with Anthony Annan

(son of the aforementioned Coffee''s cousin) - who sat back and shielded

the defense very effectively - which enabled Tettey to act as a

box-to-box player, using his stamina and pace to be much involved in

attack"
Since I can''t figure out how to edit, I should add that this was as the defensive midfield duo in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

DM was what we needed and Tettey is decent player at his best, but again concerned that we are buying over 25 year old players that have dropped out of starting 11. Okay in this case it has been mostly because of injuries, but still would have loved to see Biglia instead of Tettey as he has been established starter and is rated one of the best players in his team.

Okay ofc this raises his price quite high and Tettey has played in a lot better league, so hard to compare this two. And ofc it can be that we still loan Biglia, but cant see that happen as we have almost full squad.

Anyway I''m happy we got new DM and hopefuly he can rise back to his level. As ooo stated he is strong and quite quick fellow, something we definently needed.

Thanks to the Norweigens above for your input. I''m looking forward to seeing Tettey play for Norwich, but to be honest have never heard of him since this week. It''s nice to see you''ve taken the time to give us some inside information so we know what to expect.

Curious as to what Tettey is like as a player, I referred to our good old friend, YouTube.

There''s a decent compilation video of his last season at Rosenborg, may be worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0BZMaF4DY

"Enough with the tea jokes! We should try to sign his brother too, if he has one. That would give us a nice pair of Tetteys. HAH!!"

Embarassed to confess, but I laughted ^^

[quote user="NCNOR"]Anyone else who believe this move has been done partially to convince Abdellaoue to sign?[/quote]

That would be nice...but I doubt it. Johnson had his best game for ages today and I don''t think it was a coincidence that his main rival was watching from the stands.....

[quote user="Hog"]

[quote user="NCNOR"]Anyone else who believe this move has been done partially to convince Abdellaoue to sign?[/quote]

That would be nice...but I doubt it. Johnson had his best game for ages today and I don''t think it was a coincidence that his main rival was watching from the stands.....

[/quote]

Funny that. I do wonder whether Hughton may play both of them against the better teams though, I can see ''playing for a point'' being more his style than PL''s.

[quote user="Farro"]Curious as to what Tettey is like as a player, I referred to our good old friend, YouTube.

There''s a decent compilation video of his last season at Rosenborg, may be worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0BZMaF4DY
[/quote]Jesus I thought he was just an out and out defensive midfielder, but from that video he looks much more technical and has some great feet! The dribble and shot at about 1m 11secs is brilliant and he does an even better one later where he jinks past someone after dummying the opposite way. You can see why Rennes invested in him, but he certainly looks more attacking in that video. Looking forward to seeing him play and really hope he stays fit and is the player everyone has been asking for in DM position. Certainly looks like he doesn''t mind a pop either like Bradley Johnson, but may actually get his shots on target? lol. Glad to see Johnson played well today though as I personally think he''s quite good and there''s more to come from him. Great to have the competition in there!

@York Canary:

Just remember that Norwegian league Tippeligaen isn''t Premier League and not even Ligue 1, so defensive middlefielders can be a bit more open there in top teams.

Back then Rosenborg was quite overpowered anyway, so it made their every player look quite good ^^

Also youtube has a power to make everyone look like a striker or attacking middlefielder as they normaly put only attacking performances there.

I can assure you that he is quite much better at defending than attacking.

[quote user="Lavanche"]@York Canary:

Just remember that Norwegian league Tippeligaen isn''t Premier League and not even Ligue 1, so defensive middlefielders can be a bit more open there in top teams.

Back then Rosenborg was quite overpowered anyway, so it made their every player look quite good ^^

Also youtube has a power to make everyone look like a striker or attacking middlefielder as they normaly put only attacking performances there.

I can assure you that he is quite much better at defending than attacking.[/quote]You speak wise words Lavanche! I guess it''s like the Scottish Premier League where players like Whittaker had plenty of chance to get forward and score goals even from defence, but here it will be a much harder thing and a much faster/pressing style of play. Hopefully he proves to be just what we need and I''m glad you say he''s good/better defensively because that''s what we need him for right now. If he does get forward and score/assist then that''s great too, but he sounds like he knows what his role will be and what CH has in mind for him i.e DM

I can''t say much about his spell with Rennes, but according to Banor''s post, Tettey was utilized mostly as a holding midfielder there. In Rosenborg, however, he was at his best while playing in a more box-to-box like role. Personally, I''ve never rated him much as a holding midfielder, neither with the national team, nor with Rosenborg. To some extent, this could be because he would have to stand comparison with Anthony Annan, who is world class (without exaggerating) in that role, and to be fair, Tettey has much more to offer in attack than Annan.In my (possibly flawed) opinion, if you were looking for a strictly defensive, shield-in-front-of-the-defence type of midfielder, you could have done better. But if you were after a midfielder who is a solid defender, but who can offer a thing or two in attack as well, Tettey could easily prove to be the right choice. I must admit that I haven''t seen Norwich play much (probably less than Tettey has), so I have no idea how he will fit in, or how you will use him yet.PS: I''d say that the YouTube video is more accurate than you''d think. Take into account that it''s compiled from his performances in only the 18 first matches of the 2009-season (he was sold to Rennes about half way through), and that he wasn''t really playing as a holding midfielder (he had Annan to do that for him). The scoring-lots-of-goals bit is probably due to the standard of the Norwegian league, but his contributions in attack is just as much due to his role in the team, as it is YouTube making it look like it.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]perhaps he''s the next dave Strihavka[/quote]Lol at least then he might grace us with his presence and chip in with a goal or one.