Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Hughton, Gunn and McNally

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Its people like you that have ruined this once fine forum. Every post degenerates into catty verbal arguments and tossers like Tilson dragging up something someones said in another post " you said this so im gonna call you a prat". Its pathetic. Why does it seem impossible for someone to post their opinion genuinely wanting some constructive answers. All I wanted is people to put my mind at rest and offer me some hope. I wanted people to tell me why im wrong to think Hughtons start is worryingly similar to Gunns. What do i get? People ignoring the question and just getting on their high horse cause someone posted something negative and perennial devils advocates trawling up other posts trying to twist and stir things. This forum has seriously gone downhill due to the words of certain people.[/quote]

You also got a number of people including me engaging with your points but rather than discuss with those who''ve challenged your views you''d rather argue with Tilly and Morty and play the victim.  Mr Pot can I introduce you to my friend Mr Kettle?

[/quote]

Hardly, its just the usual response from said people winds you up more.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Why do some posters on this illustrious Board spend more time posting about other posters, rather than about our Club or the issues in hand?

Do they realise just how tediously dull this is for others who want genuine debate, not continuous insults. There is aPM facility after all. 

This was a good thread until the crap started.

[/quote]

Broadstairs take a step take and look who is throwing the insults around...Who called Morty a prat and me a tosser ?

[/quote]

Lets try that again.....Broadstairs take a step back and look who is throwing the insults around.....Who called Morty a fool and me a tosser ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Why do some posters on this illustrious Board spend more time posting about other posters, rather than about our Club or the issues in hand?

Do they realise just how tediously dull this is for others who want genuine debate, not continuous insults. There is aPM facility after all. 

[/quote]

Broadstairs take a step take and look who is throwing the insults around...Who called Morty a prat and me a tosser ?

[/quote]

Tilson get your facts tight, I never called Morty a prat. And you know your a to$$er.

As for your earlier rant. Look back over this thread and its course. The problem I had was with people''s immediate response with things like ''utter nonsense'' and ''it was ONE game youll be wanting Hughton for manager of the yr next'' ''Gain a memory and grow a pair''. Yep, im the one who started the insults.

The problem was with this responses by those completely failing to answer my initial question of why i thought the start was similar to Gunns. The only ones to respond appropriately were Rootun, Gareth and Cambridge Canary. A belated thanks to those posters for very pertinent answers that im given me a bit of hope and shook my despair from Saturday. And apologies for not recognising, i was sidetracked by the usual suspects who like nothing more than to degenerate posts.

It''s not the QPR game that worries me its the one following on through to the end of September. In reality we should have had four points on the board before taking on the big boys. OK, we may still have three if we beat QPR but its more about the psychological damage that has been done.

Hughton has a style of play that he favours. That''s fine. So does Big Sam and he''s pretty "successful" in his own way. The difference is that he didn''t take a team of attack minded, hungry footballers and turn them into a well drilled defensive unit by adding a defender not considered up to it by one of our rivals and letting two defenders go who were considered "useful" by people who have seen a lot more of Norwich City than he has. OK, Whitbread and Drury weren''t really on his watch but Ayala was.

I agree that there are some alarming similarities with Brian Gunn and short term modest success with Newcastle and Birmingham do not necessatily mean we have got the right man even if the world of "Media Luvvies" love him.

Sadly, I think that for too many people, Chris Hughton will never be accepted simply because he isn''t Paul Lambert. These people seem to believe that each defeat brings the second coming closer. Wake up and smell he coffee - it just brings The Championship closer and moves a second coming further away. Anyway, the last second coming was Mike Walker and let''s remember how that eneded.....

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Tilson get your facts tight, I never called Morty a prat. And you know your a to$$er.

As for your earlier rant. Look back over this thread and its course. The problem I had was with people''s immediate response with things like ''utter nonsense'' and ''it was ONE game youll be wanting Hughton for manager of the yr next'' ''Gain a memory and grow a pair''. Yep, im the one who started the insults.

The problem was with this responses by those completely failing to answer my initial question of why i thought the start was similar to Gunns. The only ones to respond appropriately were Rootun, Gareth and Cambridge Canary. A belated thanks to those posters for very pertinent answers that im given me a bit of hope and shook my despair from Saturday. And apologies for not recognising, i was sidetracked by the usual suspects who like nothing more than to degenerate posts.[/quote]No, the problem is that this thread has gone exactly the same way that all of your threads go.You post, what you think, is an amazingly prolific point (which is just a rehash of other threads on here anyway) then fly into a girly strop when folks don''t bow down before you, amazed at your insight.You can cry all you like "Its not me, its all them" but like I say, this is how all your threads go, including the "comedy " one you just started.If you post an opinion on a forum, the onus is on you to answer those challenging it in a reasoned and factual way, rather than getting angry.Hope this helps[Y]

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

You start a thread and ask people for their OPINIONS AND VIEWS on what YOU posted.In less than two pages you have abused four seperate posters,Grants 3 yr Contract,Kellybrook,Morty and myself who have dared to question what you posted.

I did not call you a prat as you indicated and i copied and pasted your exact words on another thread so it is not " trawling up other posts trying to twist and stir things"

My last experience of you showed you up as a keyboard warrior who needs to grow a pair and discuss your vitriol towards me face to face so rather pointless me making the offer to talk over a pint before or after the QPR game.You know i drink in The Nelson but it would not really be too much effort to go to The Coach and Horses for me.

Sits back and waits for more childish name calling from behind the computer screen...........

[/quote]

Are you saying that you''ve never done that? [;)]
[/quote]

The difference with me is i will get out from behind my screen and offer to discuss grievances with fellow posters over a pint......Smudger,Tangible,Cluck,Huckebrys Boots Matt or whoever.

[quote user="SNAP"]

It''s not the QPR game that worries me its the one following on through to the end of September. In reality we should have had four points on the board before taking on the big boys. OK, we may still have three if we beat QPR but its more about the psychological damage that has been done.

Hughton has a style of play that he favours. That''s fine. So does Big Sam and he''s pretty "successful" in his own way. The difference is that he didn''t take a team of attack minded, hungry footballers and turn them into a well drilled defensive unit by adding a defender not considered up to it by one of our rivals and letting two defenders go who were considered "useful" by people who have seen a lot more of Norwich City than he has. OK, Whitbread and Drury weren''t really on his watch but Ayala was.

I agree that there are some alarming similarities with Brian Gunn and short term modest success with Newcastle and Birmingham do not necessatily mean we have got the right man even if the world of "Media Luvvies" love him.

Sadly, I think that for too many people, Chris Hughton will never be accepted simply because he isn''t Paul Lambert. These people seem to believe that each defeat brings the second coming closer. Wake up and smell he coffee - it just brings The Championship closer and moves a second coming further away. Anyway, the last second coming was Mike Walker and let''s remember how that eneded.....

[/quote]

Thanks Snap, finally some more normal people responding to what was initially asked of them. Excellent reply too, agree with all your points.

Tilson and Morty take note, THIS IS HOW YOUR EXPECTED TO JOIN A POST. And the others who failed completely to understand the theme of the initial post and resorted to ''utter nonsense'' and ''Pre season fruits? what romantic tosh is that'' and '' Cor, if Hootun wins next week youll be sayun he''s Manger of the year!''...

OP apparently on Saturday ( according to Robbie Savage ) Villa were a complete shambles even worse than they were last season prompting him and a couple of others to make Villa certanties for relegation - Does that make Lambert a c**p manager as well

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The problem was with this responses by those completely failing to answer my initial question of why i thought the start was similar to Gunns. The only ones to respond appropriately were Rootun, Gareth and Cambridge Canary. A belated thanks to those posters for very pertinent answers that im given me a bit of hope and shook my despair from Saturday. And apologies for not recognising, i was sidetracked by the usual suspects who like nothing more than to degenerate posts.[/quote]No, the problem is that this thread has gone exactly the same way that all of your threads go.You post, what you think, is an amazingly prolific point (which is just a rehash of other threads on here anyway) then fly into a girly strop when folks don''t bow down before you, amazed at your insight.You can cry all you like "Its not me, its all them" but like I say, this is how all your threads go, including the "comedy " one you just started.If you post an opinion on a forum, the onus is on you to answer those challenging it in a reasoned and factual way, rather than getting angry.Hope this helps[Y][/quote]

Yeh good one Morty that all sounds very plausible, well done on your diatribe.

My point is that i asked a question, some people replied with nonsense, a few jumped on the bandwagon and added fuel to the fire, and a couple actually replied appropriately.

I get annoyed when people ignore the opening statement and just reply with '' what a load of $hit''. Read the question and offer your retort. Thats all i ask.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The problem was with this responses by those completely failing to answer my initial question of why i thought the start was similar to Gunns. The only ones to respond appropriately were Rootun, Gareth and Cambridge Canary. A belated thanks to those posters for very pertinent answers that im given me a bit of hope and shook my despair from Saturday. And apologies for not recognising, i was sidetracked by the usual suspects who like nothing more than to degenerate posts.[/quote]No, the problem is that this thread has gone exactly the same way that all of your threads go.You post, what you think, is an amazingly prolific point (which is just a rehash of other threads on here anyway) then fly into a girly strop when folks don''t bow down before you, amazed at your insight.You can cry all you like "Its not me, its all them" but like I say, this is how all your threads go, including the "comedy " one you just started.If you post an opinion on a forum, the onus is on you to answer those challenging it in a reasoned and factual way, rather than getting angry.Hope this helps[Y][/quote]

Yeh good one Morty that all sounds very plausible, well done on your diatribe.

My point is that i asked a question, some people replied with nonsense, a few jumped on the bandwagon and added fuel to the fire, and a couple actually replied appropriately.

I get annoyed when people ignore the opening statement and just reply with '' what a load of $hit''. Read the question and offer your retort. Thats all i ask.[/quote]Diatribe? You just can''t help yourself, can you?When you put your opinion on a public forum you are just going to have to deal with the fact that some people may think it is a load of shit. Yes, you do get annoyed.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lets try that again.....Broadstairs take a step back and look who is throwing the insults around.....Who called Morty a fool and me a tosser ?

[/quote]

I thought Morty was a pratt ?

Battered Hughton vows to buy his way out of trouble after Norwich thrashed .Maybe Mr Hughton should stop over reacting does he not realise it was only one game ? a one off , stop panicking Chris .

[quote user="SNAP"]

[/quote]

I think this is going to be our biggest issue. We''ve got a team full of attack minded players, and a manager that wants to play defensive football. I saw on a thread somewhere that somebody really wanted Holloway as manager. I cringed when i read it, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. At least he plays a style of football that would suit the players we have. Maybe in time Hughton will work a way of using the players he has, but just wish he used pre-season more effectively to be slightly more prepared.

The fundamental difference between Gunn''s and Hughton''s position is that Hughton was appointed by the current board, including McNally, and Gunn was not. It is common practice for a new board to sack someone else''s appointment.

I know that there was a large degree of continuity, and the majority shareholders remained the same, but the new board was clearly a "new broom" wishing to fundamentally review most aspects of the club. It is unlikely that they will be as severe on their own appointment.

I was someone calling for Hughton to go after Saturday.  Although the performance was shambolic, for me this was compounded by Hughtons apparently negative and defeatist comments after the game.  It is awful to call for anyone to be sacked, but I didn''t hear anything to convince me he will turn it around or that the players believe in him.  The lack of players comments is adding to this feeling.

On another thread someone posted a league table showing where Newcastle were in the Premier when they sacked Hughton - apparently to support his ability.  It showed after 18 months in charge they were level on points with Holloway''s Blackpool - despite starting with a Premier League squad in the Championship and having far greater resources. 

None of us know what will happen in the future, but I wouldn''t want Hughton to stay and suffer the long painful demise that Worthington endured.  I think he has prepared an unfit demotivated team that don''t believe in him.  He may think our players are technically inferior, but from my seat I think when we had the ball the formation often left us with no forward pass available, players were closed down and we had to lump it clear.

Hughton experimented in pre-season and continued this on to Saturday expecting different results. The similarites with Gunn for me are that he is a nice guy, the players don''t appear to respect him, his signings and tactics appear poor.

That is my view, not right or wrong, just how I see it today. On Saturday though, I will be 100% behind the team hoping I can encourage them to prove me wrong.

Again, I want your opinion on how this differs to Gunn''s 7-1 loss.

Heres a few

We played against a team Playing in Blue and White.

The ref wasnt young enough to be my son.

We were playing in the 1st div not PL.

The game was at Carrow Road rather than away.

Our goalie was an Oz rather than Brit

We scored a goal (admittedly something we wouldnt have done Saturday in a month of)

We let in 7 and not 5

I could go on but have work to do. Cmon, lets smile and move on, if after Saturday against cupeearh we are still bottom with no goals scored and loads against then lets start to worry a little.

The similarities imo were off the top of my head.We got thumped.We looked clueless as to what the tactics were for large periods.Defence was schoolboy.Zero penetration.Changes were made that made sod all difference.After the Gunn fiasco.  It was easy for McNally to do something.  Gunn appointment had nothing to do with him.  So Hoots will be given a little time to do something about it.  However it''s obvious many doubt whether if things will turn around long term, because it looks like Hoots has attempted to change the complete ethos of the team. For periods of the match Saturday, we looked like Worthington''s ''04-''05 EPL team imo.

"We''ve got a team full of attack minded players, and a manager that wants to play defensive football."

Spot on, Vazzza. Russ Martin and Tierney are both very good at bombing down the wings, but not God''s gift to defending. Trying to get them to focus almost exclusively on defence is unlikely to work, and will just reduce our Goals For column.

And with Elliott Bennett and Vaughan out of the side, we have no pace anywhere to worry the opposition when trying to get forward.

To the OP, leave it to McNally to sort out, if he thinks there is any similarity bewteen the Colchester result and the Fulham result I have no doubt he will act accordingly. Whilst I have concerns over our survival prospects this season, and I am upset at losing 5-0 I for one am not going to lose my sense of perspective.......

Dont get me wrong Matt I too am incredibly alarmed by what I have seen in pre season and the opening day. I am concerned that he has failed to see what the collective and individuals strength of the team are and then subsequently mould it into an effective system/unit. It looks like we might have a mountain to climb this season.  But what I will say is that I saw Nigel Worthington take a Norwich to Millwall on the opening day of the 2001/2 season and we got absolutely massacred by a similar scoreline. There was nothing positive about that day. Ultimately though we did make the playoff final that year. So for every Bryan Gunn disaster there is a Nigel Worthington success story. This isnt over yet. There are 37 more games left to get this right. Hopefully with a few home truths, some soul searching and very hard work at Colney we can get back on track. Ultimately Bryan Gunn had around 20 games to prove himself and the results werent satsifactory. 

Let''s be ''aving you!, are you joking about our fullbacks not being "God''s gift to defending"? This is the same Russell Martin who filled in at FB for large chunks of last season and had many cooing over his performances. While Tierney was heralded as one of the star performers up until his injury.

Martin''s downfall is that he has no pace. His positioning, awareness and ability to tackle is second to none. But he is beaten by those with quicker feet, sadly a prevalent problem in this league.

Hughton''s quote in the Pink Un troubles me...

"I have learned when we are resilient and defend well we give ourselves a chance."

Oh dear. "Resilient", "defend well" and "give ourselves a chance".

Sounds like the Manager of a League 2 team about to go to Chelsea in the FA Cup 3rd round. Come on CH, rattle your sabre a bit this week, players and fans may well respond in a manner that delights you-and I''d rather the mantra above wasn''t the one for Saturday-as I am sure, please, it won''t be...

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="Grant Holt''s 3 year contract"]For Hucks sake... it was ONE GAME! Beat the Queens next saturday and you''ll be wanting Hughton to get manager of the year!

Wow what a brilliantly thought out and measured response. Did you even read my post in its entirety?

If we beat QPR I will not be wanting Hughton to get manager of the year primarily because I''m not a f*****g idiot, or a fickle attention seeking pinkun poster.

As you failed completely to understand my posts underlying question, I''ll repeat it for you.

Can you explain to me the difference between Hughton''s start and Gunn''s, and give your opinion as to why Hughton is the right man, despite Saturdays result.[/quote]Yes. We''re 8th in the league. Hughton HAS turned it around and as a result you now look like a f*****g idiot [}]Care to reply?

Sorry, GH3YC, what was it you said on the 18th August?

Oh yes... As you linked to it in another post today, i can quote:

"Re: Hughton post match interview....

Hughton out.

Terrible performance. Glad I couldnt go!"

Wow! ...just, wow!! What a prat you look today! ;)