Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Shirt

Hughton post match interview....

Well the fact is, he did say all those things and that was NOT the way to take the heat off the players.

I hope this is a blip but if after the next two games we don''t show any improvement we should all be worried. I would then give him a max of 10 games.

It really takes some coaching skills from us to nullify the likes of Holt, Snodgrass, Pilkington et al but then Calderwood has done it before.

[quote user="Big Rons Brain"]Or did he deliberately take the heat off the players and lower expectations, while privately reading the riot act? Will be amazed if we turn out like that again this year.[/quote]Precisely. He''s been in the game long enough to know not to over-react to one result, no matter how pitiful. Lambert never criticised the players in public, even ones he was secretly planning to terminate ;)

If Hughton''s complaining Fulham are technically superior, Why the fucuk didn''t he sign players who were more technically able and perhaps shift out some of the one''s who weren''t???  After all we are not short of money.  Biggest transfer budget in our history!!!

[quote user="scrappy33"]Howson with his hands on his hips, [/quote]bloody ponce! you never saw Charlie George do that!

Hughton has a good reputation and I''m sure he will do well.

He didn''t manage that interview at all well. Was he trying to get a message across to the fans, perhaps dumbing down expectations? Was it for the player''s, telling them they are not very good? Was it for the board, trying to release a big money transfer?

If he had thought it through, I don''t know what he was getting at.

Hughton''s obviously not gonna be happy today.  As none of ushave ever been in his position, its difficult to know exactly how to react to a performance like that.  He doesn''t ever come accross as an aggressive or loud manager.  I''m sure he will''ve given the team a rollicking. 

We''ve got to give him time.  We cant afford to go sacking managers after 1 game when he cost £2.5mil.  I think we HAVE to put this down to a bad day at the office all round.

Hughton and the team need 100% positive support, energy and vibes next Saturday.  That is now an absolutly crucial game.  Bearing in mind who we have to play in games 5,6,7 and 8, we really don''t wanna be going into those games with only 1 point or 2, or worse.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]if Hughton had come out and said "We played well today.. didnt dersevr 5-0" he''d have been wrongif he had come out and criticised he''d have been wrong.If he had kept his cards close to his chest he''d have been wrong.You have all made your minds up about Hughton....I hope he makes us great, but only to spite you all...[/quote]

He should have come out and called it as it was. We weren''t good enough, we''ve got to do better than that, we must work harder, we simply have to improve, we will work hard on the training ground to put things right etc.

You don''t start saying you don''t come to Fulham and dominate and attack, and there players are technically better, a lot of teams have better players than us. This instills self doubt. The players we have are league 1 and championship players who have relied on self belief to play out of their skin.

We need a leader on the pitch.

Someone whose been there, done it, who''ll talk, cajole, soothe, bollock, whatever-but who leads from the front and communicates, the old hand if you like.

And who''ll put a foot in if he has to.

Hughton''s post match comments make painful reading- "you don''t come here and attack" -you what, its bloody Craven Cottage not the Nou Camp. Lets have a bit of "here we are, lets see how you can cope with us" which was the approach last season, not the "here we are, lets see what you''ve got" because quite a few other clubs will delight in telling us if thats going to be the case.

Its a one off. We have to hope to hell it is. We got done over 4-0 at Millwall on a hot August opening day not so long ago and ended the season in the play off final. Likewise, many years ago, we beat Stoke 5-1 and got relegated, lost 4-1 to Rotherham and won the Second Division. Funny results happen on day one-Swansea, 5-0 at QPR, come on-lets hope this was one, lets hope CH picks the players up and lets hope we take the game to QPR next week-if he sets up a 5-4-1/4-4-1-1 from the off there, at home and against them, its going to be negative right from the off.

Hughton will soon feel the heat, rightly or wrongly, if we don''t look like we''re picking up by 6-8 games in. If the heat sticks he''ll be struggling and if that then transfers to the players, well, the name Peter Grant comes to mind.

I remain optimistic-but next week is crucial and will either show it was a blip or much, much more a cause for concern.

It doesn''t really matter what he says to the press in his post match interview, it only matters what he said to those players in the dressing room.

We''ll find out next week if he got the important one right.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

If Hughton''s complaining Fulham are technically superior, Why the fucuk didn''t he sign players who were more technically able and perhaps shift out some of the one''s who weren''t???  After all we are not short of money.  Biggest transfer budget in our history!!!

[/quote]

Which he may do in the next two weeks. But the essential rules of football finance have not changed as far as we are concerned. We have to pay off our debt by October 2013. And we are owned by paupers. And cannot afford to match the wages that top quality players demand. We are actually short of money in comparison to our competitors. I would imagine that we are easily in the bottom three in the Premier League in terms of wages.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

Which he may do in the next two weeks. But the essential rules of football finance have not changed as far as we are concerned. We have to pay off our debt by October 2013. And we are owned by paupers. And cannot afford to match the wages that top quality players demand. We are actually short of money in comparison to our competitors. I would imagine that we are easily in the bottom three in the Premier League in terms of wages.

[/quote]

The commentary today mentioned that we had outspent Fulham on transfer fees = £5.5m vs only £2m in the close season.  The difference is that Fulham can pay King''s Road salaries and thus get quality in like Petric, Kacaniklic on Bosman''s whereas we can only offer journeymen the opportunity to play against them!  How long can our current salary scales survive without relegation.

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The commentary today mentioned that we had outspent Fulham on transfer fees = £5.5m vs only £2m in the close season.  The difference is that Fulham can pay King''s Road salaries and thus get quality in like Petric, Kacaniklic on Bosman''s whereas we can only offer journeymen the opportunity to play against them!  How long can our current salary scales survive without relegation.

[/quote]thats a good point.. sooner or later we will have to stop pussyfooting around with wages and take the step to become the next fulham.... all this "But his wages will cost too much...." will kill us in the end... im not saying go crazy.. but i am saying that the club needs to move while it can or never have this chance again.

But I am afraid that''s true.  I felt  this  last season. But we had confidence  and a team spirit envisaged into the  players by Paul Lambert that allowed us to match other teams. However, this will only last so long and take you so far.Lambert knew that we needed better players to  survive this season and when he found out that the money would not be available to bring those players  in he decided that  his  time here was up.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="jimbo"]admitting most teams players are technically better than ours is a bit worrying![/quote]

He''s looking for excuses already then.  What a surprise.

[/quote]But all the teams  do  have technically better players than us I am afraid. Our team is made up of Championship standard players. They punched above their weight last season but I fear  that  they will be found out this season. This is going  to be a very brutal and  hard  season  for us. Some serious thrashing''s are going  to come our way I  fear.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

thats a good point.. sooner or later we will have to stop pussyfooting around with wages and take the step to become the next fulham.... all this "But his wages will cost too much...." will kill us in the end... im not saying go crazy.. but i am saying that the club needs to move while it can or never have this chance again.
[/quote]

I look forward to your takeover bid to make this feasible.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="jimbo"]admitting most teams players are technically better than ours is a bit worrying!
[/quote]

He''s looking for excuses already then.  What a surprise.

[/quote]

But all the teams  do  have technically better players than us I am afraid. Our team is made up of Championship standard players. They punched above their weight last season but I fear  that  they will be found out this season. This is going  to be a very brutal and  hard  season  for us. Some serious thrashing''s are going  to come our way I  fear.
[/quote]

Teams that are technically inferior beat other teams by motivation, effort, superior fitness, positive thought, good organisation and flexible tactics, as we did with Lambert. Capitulating and thinking negatively will indeed end in massive thrashings and that''s why I''m thinking if QPR beat us heavily he probably has to go.  We did not look fit today but we''re sure going to have to look up to the job next week.

FFS what a load of bull sheite.  So we have a team of League one and average Champ quality players at best which the messiah Paul Lambert guided to a 12th place finish last season so it will come as no surprise if we struggle massively and get relegated.  We should expect and accept it almost?

We are punching well above our weight and our players are technically inept at prem level - fcuking good job we aren''t paying them prem wages then!

Turner, Whittaker, Snodgrass, Butterfield and Garrido will add nothing to last seasons squad?  Well that''s a waste of money then.  Why not sign 2 or 3 who will add quality instead of 5 who won''t?[:^)]

We might as well throw the fcuking towel in now!

No one at the club will suffer detrement as a result of our relegation because plucky little Norwich have done so well to just make it to the Prem and relegation would still fit in to the 7 year plan.  Hang on though, if we don''t have any targets, do we still have a 7 year plan?[:^)]

I''m worried by these comments, Last season these same players went to some of the top grounds in the country and dominated games, The 2-1 victory at White Hart Lane and 3-3 draw at Arsenal were superb attacking performances and now we are being told we can''t go to Fulham and attack! We looked totally unprepared and that has come from the pre season training. I really hope like everyone does that this is a one off but I fear another Bryan Gunn here.

Hughton’s post-match comments did sound a tad concerning; he may have been trying to deflect some of the heat from the players, but his phraseology was full of fear along with criticism of his players lack of technical ability. Hardly the way to win friends and influence people you hope to have a sustained relationship with is it?

Hughton seems a really nice guy. If the players didn’t look fit (although it must have damn near killed them chasing the game today in that heat) the ex-Brum coaches need to raise the standard. This ain''t the Championship is it?

Otherwise I cannot see us scoring last minute goals like we did under PL. The fitness we’ve had over the last 3 years – and the winning attitude we’ve had in abundance is now questionable. Let’s hope we get some positive answers next Saturday because we all need it.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]I honestly can''t see anything better than Norwich 0 - 3 QPR next week[/quote]

Oh I''d be much more optimistic. It will 0-0. Why? QPR shipped 5 today, Mark Hughes will make sure they''ll be tight as a minimum. And Hughton will think our players are too technically inferior and play all defensive so we won''t be able to break QPR down.

A had a feeling we would get tonked today, but the main concern is this:

Wheres Lambert knew he didn''t have shining diamonds, he would (more often than not) get them playing above their ability. This clearly isn''t happening under Hughton. For a club like Norwich to continue in the Premier League is has to over achieve with the players until the club is in a position to buy costlier players, who can rely on talent alone.

We were too negative, unmotivated, lacked fitness, poor tactically and lacked quality. I feel sorry for the fans that made the trip today as it was complete rubbish. The heat is no excuse as it was the same for both sides.

Traditionally Norwich have always been a poor side away from home (with the exception of the Walker and Lambert eras) and going to Fulham for a draw gets what it deserves - an absolute hiding.

I''d rather have watched Stoke than watch what we were dished up by Hughton today. It was that bad.

I would expect McNally wasn''t expecting this today. A refund wouldn''t go amiss.

[quote user="JF"]I''m worried by these comments, Last season these same players went to some of the top grounds in the country and dominated games, The 2-1 victory at White Hart Lane and 3-3 draw at Arsenal were superb attacking performances and now we are being told we can''t go to Fulham and attack! We looked totally unprepared and that has come from the pre season training. I really hope like everyone does that this is a one off but I fear another Bryan Gunn here.[/quote]

Thats the worrying bit,

That was a silly response purple canary and indicative of why we Will never be a fulham...

The club doesn''t have to offer silly wages, but I think the board need to look at how we can attract the likes of a kacaniclic or a riise to Norwich.

Our wage structure and club model will only ever attract journeymen or lower league triers....a season or 2 in the prem every 10 years isnt acceptable... We need to aim to stay there.

If we can get a Garrido on loan then I am sure we can attract similar... Or are tierney, lappin and surname going to lead us to glory?

One thing that PL always commented on was the FANS, and with a result like yesterday he would always comment ''we let ourselves and our supporters down today!.

From Hughton utter drivel which was frightening to listen to, and even worse now I''ve heard it again - and nothing for he fans, nothing, all 3000 of them who HE let down along with his inept team and tactics.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]if Hughton had come out and said "We played well today.. didnt dersevr 5-0" he''d have been wrong

if he had come out and criticised he''d have been wrong.

If he had kept his cards close to his chest he''d have been wrong.

You have all made your minds up about Hughton....I hope he makes us great, but only to spite you all...
[/quote]

Yep, no doubt he''ll be playing Chris Martin next week. I can''t understand why he was not in the squad at Fulham.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="G"]Who would you want to replace him?[/quote]

Holloway.......at least he has bottle.

[/quote]

Absolutely.. I''d rather lose 5-4 attacking than 5-0 defending and I made that clear before Hughton came in.