Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

Javier Garrido

[quote user="Militant Canary"]Indeed, Indy. I agree.

But that doesn''t really answer my question.

Is it simply because the media reported our alleged interest as soon as Hughton arrived- making the rather dumb-arse connection between our need for a CB, Chris Hughton and Curtis Davies, rather than any genuine solid interest?[/quote]

I can tell you (reliable source I trust) we definitely were very interested in Davies. Whether or not we are now we have Turner I am not sure. As for Garrido he sounds like potentially a very good signing and it would be reassuring to see another left back come in. Although i''ve not seen any of the games i have the perception that Tierney has struggled a bit this pre-season so it will be good for him to have some genuine competition. I suspect that Garrido will actually become first choice in that position is he signs.

Moderate concern at the suggestion he lacks a bit of pace not because I think it means he personally will struggle but more due to the fact that we don''t seem to have any quick defenders and I still see that as our achilles heel.

This from Gazzetta dello Sport.  Italian not my strong suit but the headline seems to state the move as a fact. Anyone help with the story itself?

Garrido al Norwich

Si muove il mercato in uscita della Lazio: lo spagnolo Javier Garrido è stato ceduto in prestito gratuito al Norwich, con diritto di riscatto.

From a couple of  on-line Translators,Garrido to the Norwich

Garrido Norwich  moves the market exit of the Lazio: the Spaniard

Javier Garrido was released in free loan at Norwich, with the right of

redemption.

[quote user="The Young One"]From a couple of  on-line Translators,Garrido to the Norwich

Garrido Norwich  moves the market exit of the Lazio: the Spaniard

Javier Garrido was released in free loan at Norwich, with the right of

redemption.

[/quote]Google is slightly better than that:Garrido in Norwich

The market moves out of Lazio: the Spaniard Javier Garrido was on loan at Norwich Free, with option to buy.

Purple, this translates as follows:

"Garrido to Norwich:

The players-out market from Lazio is on the move: the Spaniard Javier Garrido has been loaned free-of-charge to Norwich, with an option to buy."

Interestingly reported as fact. Like the "free-of-charge" bit - could that be true?

If this ends up happening it''s an excellent signing, but one which could spell a long period on the bench for poor old Tierney.Garrido is a higher standard player (which is what we wanted), and this means we would have excellent cover in the role with MT fighting for the place.It may well be that there will be some rotation however, with Tierney given the nod when likely to be up against real speed merchants and Garrido playing the rest of the time.Either way it''s a strong move by the club and one we really needed IMHO.

If he signs then Lappin''s place as ''reserve'' left back will taken

The King of Spain replaced by the Prince of Spain

Garrido, the Javier of City

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]

"Garrido to Norwich:

The players-out market from Lazio is on the move: the Spaniard Javier Garrido has been loaned free-of-charge to Norwich, with an option to buy."

Interestingly reported as fact. Like the "free-of-charge" bit - could that be true?

[/quote]

Thanks to you, and the others. I assume the "free of charge" bit refers just to the loan, and we would have to pay a fee for a permanent move, possibly unless he only has a year left on his contract.

I did just now have a quick look on the Lazio website but couldn''t find anything there. But it does seem as if this is a done deal. And one that fills an obvious gap in the squad.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Lets be aving you"]

"Garrido to Norwich:

[/quote]

Thanks to you, and the others. I assume the "free of charge" bit refers just to the loan, and we would have to pay a fee for a permanent move, possibly unless he only has a year left on his contract.

I did just now have a quick look on the Lazio website but couldn''t find anything there. But it does seem as if this is a done deal. And one that fills an obvious gap in the squad.

[/quote]

I would imagine it is just waiting for international clearance, the Italian FA aren''t the quickest at getting their paperwork sorted out - in a non-sterotypical way of course...

"Sounds like a fantastic signing" ...that gave me an idea.

"Sounds like a fantastic singing"

this has to be his song...proper disco/funk vibes from the Barclay and Snakepit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2eSFBoE2Ts&feature=related

very pleased with this, as it looks to be a done deal. a definite increase in quality at the back, no slight on tierney intended. an allround quality player who manc fans think highly of.[:D][:)][:D]

I was also surprised to see that on Wiki, but Sky Sports Italia has also reported that it''s happening. would certainly solve the LB vacancy and still leave another place available for a DMF to replace Crofts.

Looks like a good move to me.

If you watched any English Prem football over the past few years you will have seen Garrido and already know the answer to that.[quote user="Grow Up Mate"]Hopefully he is better than the last Spanish full-back we had.[/quote]

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I was also surprised to see that on Wiki, but Sky Sports Italia has also reported that it''s happening. would certainly solve the LB vacancy and still leave another place available for a DMF to replace Crofts.

Looks like a good move to me.[/quote]

We don''t need a DM, we don''t have room for one. Think Johnson, Fox, Surman, Howson and K.Smith (and Butterfield) will be happy competing for one place in the team?

I really rate a fully fit Tierney but this will be a decent signing I reckon as it will provide competition for LB, keeping the standards high.Interesting to see some replies to my FB status below (I live in Manc):        City fans....what did u think of Javier Garrido?

Distinctly average, sweet peg though                Shit                Takes a mean free kick, although not a lot else                Dead pan average with a good free kick, Michael Ball got ahead of him in the squad...                Chris Porter Average at best

bearing in mind average to city fans is probably different to our definition!

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Looks like someone has ''jumped the gun'' wikipedia are statingJavier Garrido Behobide (born 15 March 1985 in Irun) is a Spanish footballer who currently plays for Premier League side Norwich City F.C..[/quote]

Perhaps it''s the same person who did the same thing with Turner and Snodgrass?

[quote user="star_manic"]very pleased with this, as it looks to be a done deal. a definite increase in quality at the back, no slight on tierney intended. an allround quality player who manc fans think highly of.[:D][:)][:D][/quote]

If this comes off he won''t be the back up, he will be the starter.

Couple of things concern me at the moment in terms of this.

It looks to me as if the Wiki thing is just a bit of tampering - for two reasons. Firstly it says he plays for Norwich City F.C but the Norwich City FC page has not been updated to include him in the squad, if this was accurate then this would have been updated.

Secondly the number he has been given is Hoolahan''s current Squad number.

It seems like someone is being a bit sensationalist here. If he is given the number 14 then it confirms Hoolahan has either changed his number or is off.

At this stage I think its a little bit of a prank as I think it more likely that he would be given another number. We currently have squad number 7 vacant for example.

[quote user="AJ"]Not a bad signing if this gets pulled off. Hopefully with a view to permanent deal at the end of it which would help solve our left back problems and provide good competition down that flank.

We still need another striker in my opinion, but there''s always another loan to usethis is a foreign loan so we can still can take another 2 from the uk[/quote]

"this is a foreign loan so we can still can take another 2 from the uk"

eh ?

where on earth did you get that idea from ?