10Simeon JacksonStriker
13Declan RuddGoalkeeperAcademy
31Jed SteerGoalkeeperAcademy
27Tom AdeyemiMidfieldAcademy
28George FrancombMidfieldAcademy
18Korey SmithMidfieldAcademy
16Chris MartinStrikerAcademy
29Josh DawkinStrikerAcademy

This is 22 players for squad purposes if my understanding of the young home players rule for squad purposes is right (perhaps 23 if I have Chris Martin''s age wrong!).  So still 2/3 places available, more if some are shipped out - plenty of scope to bring players in without having to worry about selling others.  Generally if you accept all players are up to the mark a good spread although full back representation looks light if Russell Martin is more of a centre back going forward.

Yup.

And Chris Martin is now too old to be classed as one of the younger players - I believe Rudd maybe too.

However you do not have to register them. So it is possible that the likes of Francombe who maybe sent out on loan for 6months may not be included in the 25 man squad and therefore don''t count towards the limit.

I had thought so too, but official site still has him as a squad member so have included him for this purpose.  However as not countable towards the 25 squad rule means little anyway.

Interestingly Zak Whitbread asked Dawkins on twitter what club he had joined as he tweated Dawkins started pre-season training today.  I saw no reply but he did mention that he was struggling with London traffic this morning - any clues?

Okay Rudd is too old now for the U 21 rule (I thought he was younger) and so is Smith.  Francomb and Adeyemi are both 21 just after the cut-off point of 1 September 2012 so don''t count.  So revised figure is yes we are at 25 now, Hughton will have to wheel and deal to bring more players in.

No.NamePosition
1John RuddyGoalkeeper
13Declan RuddGoalkeeper
2Russell MartinFull back
3Steve WhitakerFull back
23Marc TierneyFull back
20Leon BarnettCentre back
22Elliott WardCentre back
26Daniel AyalaCentre back
33Ryan BennettCentre back
4Bradley JohnsonMidfield
6Jacob ButterfieldMidfield
7Andrew CroftsMidfield
11Andrew SurmanMidfield
12Anthony PilkingtonMidfield
14Wesley HoolahanMidfield
15David FoxMidfield
17Elliott BennettMidfield
18Korey SmithMidfield
19Simon LappinMidfield
24Jonathon HowsonMidfield
5Steve MorisonStriker
8James VaughanStriker
9Grant HoltStriker
10Simeon JacksonStriker
16Chris MartinStriker
Under 21 - not squad members
31Jed SteerGoalkeeper
27Tom AdeyemiMidfield
28George FrancombMidfield
29Josh DawkinStriker

[quote user="shefcanary"]

Okay Rudd is too old now for the U 21 rule (I thought he was younger) and so is Smith.  Francomb and Adeyemi are both 21 just after the cut-off point of 1 September 2012 so don''t count.  So revised figure is yes we are at 25 now, Hughton will have to wheel and deal to bring more players in.

[/quote]

My understanding of the rule is they are both classed as underage players - anyone born after 1st Jan 1991 doesn''t have to be registered. Anyone know different?

BYG - I assumed it was 1992 for that date (that is the beginning of the year in which the season starts otherwise Rudd / Smith will be 23 by then end of the season which doesn''t seem right) - but have just been through the Premier League rules and regulations and found no discussion of it!

BYG - I assumed it was 1992 for that date (that is the beginning of the year in which the season starts otherwise Rudd / Smith will be 23 by then end of the season which doesn''t seem right) - but have just been through the Premier League rules and regulations and found no discussion of it!

[/quote]

4) In addition to the 25-man named squad, clubs can use an unlimited number of players aged 21 or under. This means that Manchester City''s new £22.5m striker Mario Balotelli, who is just 20, does not need to be named in their 25-man squad. According to the Premier League: "An Under 21 player is defined as one who is under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences. For the 2010/11 campaign Under 21 players will have been born on or after 1st January 1989."

This was given as guidance for the 10/11 season - so adding 2 onto 1989 gets us to 1991. I presume this is how it works.

Declan Rudd and Korey Smith were both born in Jan 1991 - putting them "under 21" (just).

Very generous of the Age 21 definition if you''re right BYG, and I cannot see why you are not with that excerpt.  So in conclusion two spaces left in our 25 before transfers out. 

No.NamePosition
1John RuddyGoalkeeper
2Russell MartinFull back
3Steve WhitakerFull back
23Marc TierneyFull back
20Leon BarnettCentre back
22Elliott WardCentre back
26Daniel AyalaCentre back
33Ryan BennettCentre back
4Bradley JohnsonMidfield
6Jacob ButterfieldMidfield
7Andrew CroftsMidfield
11Andrew SurmanMidfield
12Anthony PilkingtonMidfield
14Wesley HoolahanMidfield
15David FoxMidfield
17Elliott BennettMidfield
19Simon LappinMidfield
24Jonathon HowsonMidfield
5Steve MorisonStriker
8James VaughanStriker
9Grant HoltStriker
10Simeon JacksonStriker
16Chris MartinStriker
Under 21 - not squad members
13Declan RuddGoalkeeper
31Jed SteerGoalkeeper
18Korey SmithMidfield
27Tom AdeyemiMidfield
28George FrancombMidfield
29Josh DawkinStriker

I had thought so too, but official site still has him as a squad member so have included him for this purpose.  However as not countable towards the 25 squad rule means little anyway.

Interestingly Zak Whitbread asked Dawkins on twitter what club he had joined as he tweated Dawkins started pre-season training today.  I saw no reply but he did mention that he was struggling with London traffic this morning - any clues?

[/quote]

Think Palace along with Wilberham

So given that, who would you expect to leave? At a guess I''d say Leon Barnett must surely be top of the list - Nowhere near the first team and not up to the Premiership pace... If CH is planning to bring in another striker, possibly Martin or , harsh as this may be, possibly even release Vaughan on free transfer if he doesn''t look capable of playing the majority of the season?

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="shefcanary"]

[/quote]

Think Palace along with Wilberham

[/quote]

Thanks Pete.  Blimey - didn''t think he''d be with a championship club so soon.  Good for him.  Can''t see CMart joining them now then but stranger things have happened - a whole strikeforce imported from one one club!!!

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]So given that, who would you expect to leave? At a guess I''d say Leon Barnett must surely be top of the list - Nowhere near the first team and not up to the Premiership pace... If CH is planning to bring in another striker, possibly Martin or , harsh as this may be, possibly even release Vaughan on free transfer if he doesn''t look capable of playing the majority of the season?[/quote]

You''d have to say we needed to look for better than what we have now, so the two vacant squad spaces should enable a good left full back and top striker to come in. 

Then after that to release anybody it would be a midfielder (Crofts despite him being a full international or maybe Fox who hasn''t resigned yet?), a centre back (Barnett would appear to be the prime candidate just because the others all have longer contracts) and Chris Martin with a solid striker coming in.  Five in plus three out transfers before end of August would be quite something!

I think that we will definitely bring in a left back and a centre back so thats the 2 spaces. I also think its inevitable that a couple will go the other way even if just on loan. Any departures of players in the registrable pool will surely be from the pool of fringe players which i would see as Lappin, Martin and Barnett. Outside possibility of crofts but the encouraging thing is that we seem to have some real depth to the squad and arguably any member of that 25 could come into the team in any given game and give a decent account of themself. Hard to pick anyone who is truly surplus to requirements.

We''d have to have a run of really bad luck in a single position to be struggling long term with this squad surely - unless every other team''s squad upped their games on last seasons'' performances!