Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Four In A Row ?

Can Grant win The Barry Butler Memorial Trophy yet again ? I say of course he can and will be looking for odds if bookies are prepared to take £10 of my money.[Y]

Don''t think so, Tilly.  This might have left a bad taste in some of the fans'' mouths.  Holt needs to deliver with 20+ goals this season.

For me, Howson will be in with a shout of POTS, will be a quality and important player for us.

Stating the obvious but goals win football matches. Another good haul for Holty next season and he will be right up there in the voting.

Well now, as it stands without a ball being kicked he has my vote[;)]

But who knows what the season will bring. In the past three seasons I think he has won it with some to spare. But he can only win it on the pitch. Just like he can only lose it on the pitch. To suggest he''s already lost it through his dispute with the club devalues the Barry Butler trophy. Grant Holt has never given less than 100% on the pitch and has never let the supporters down. Even though many have doubted him year in year out he has still been a worthy winner three years on the trot. Can''t wait for him to stick it into the doubting thomases for a fourth year.

Whilst I''d agree with that Nutty (and others), I''m not sure everyone will. Just look at the reaction towards Holt on here and social media sites over the past few weeks - and whilst most of us will, I''m sure, put it all behind us if he whacks in 15 goals again this season, there will be some fans who I dare say won''t vote for him purely because of what has happened this summer.

Could be worth a cheeky fiver though - surely given all the recent mess, you''d get some decent odds?

Is there a place that will take bets on that? I live in Florida where sports gambling is illegal but I would love to transfer some money over if someone is willing to do it for me :) let me know

Dont forget John Ruddy. He ran GH close last year and won lots of hearts and minds with his bad luck with the finger injury and then coming out and poo pooing the newspaper stories that he was going to Villa. And Norwich fans love goalies.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Fickle!

Flipflop one season glove the next....

[:O]

[/quote]

I didnt say that I was going to vote for Ruddy though, did I?

[quote user="Kathy "][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Fickle!

Flipflop one season glove the next....

[:O]

[/quote]

I didnt say that I was going to vote for Ruddy though, did I?

[/quote]

Indeed. But that doesn''t mean I can''t tell Holty that I think you''re going to....

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Less likely than it would have been

[/quote]

Why? It''s not the "Contract Negotiater Of The Season" award is it?

Sorry Wiz but yes Grant deserved three years but he put his own needs above our club. No one is bigger than the club. Second what if he is utter wa*k next year and someone like pilkington drives us to europe does Holt still get your vote? If so why?

[quote user="BW"]Sorry Wiz but yes Grant deserved three years but he put his own needs above our club. No one is bigger than the club. Second what if he is utter wa*k next year and someone like pilkington drives us to europe does Holt still get your vote? If so why?[/quote]

Holt won''t let us down, you shouldn''t doubt him BW.

I don''t but i still feel hurt about how he has gone about things this summer he was my hero but now he will never be a huckerby

Four in a row my 7 year old lad loves that game. Althiugh we call it connect 4 in my household, naturally I always use the Yellow counters and he gets stuck with the red ones!!

On a more intelligent reply, I think if Holt continues last seasons form he will be in with a damn good shout of winning it again, however I think he will be pushed hard this season especially by Howson and possibly Pilkington/Ruddy. If Butterfield gets regular games and he is as good as he says he is (lording himself on Radio Norfolk last night) then maybe he will be in with a shout aswell.

Well now, as it stands without a ball being kicked he has my vote[;)]

But who knows what the season will bring. In the past three seasons I think he has won it with some to spare. But he can only win it on the pitch. Just like he can only lose it on the pitch. To suggest he''s already lost it through his dispute with the club devalues the Barry Butler trophy. Grant Holt has never given less than 100% on the pitch and has never let the supporters down. Even though many have doubted him year in year out he has still been a worthy winner three years on the trot. Can''t wait for him to stick it into the doubting thomases for a fourth year.

[/quote]

I didn''t know Grant had that side to his nature. It could explain why Kathy is considering other manly possibilities like Ruddy.

Well picked up Yankee. Nice to see Kathy''s change of loyalties hasn''t gone unnoticed in your part of the world.......

Slightly unfair on Butterfield (and our existing heroes) to tout him as a possible POTS in his 1st season at Carrow Road, especially given that he wasn''t given that honour at Barnsley (young player of the year notwithstanding).

Ruddy will be in with a very good chance again, and probably whichever midfielder chips in with the most goals I should imagine.

Of course he can still win it but personally I don''t think he will.  I think he may only get about 10 or 12 goals next season (which would still be very good) and players like Ruddy, Howson, Pilkington and Bennett may out shine him.

Well picked up Yankee. Nice to see Kathy''s change of loyalties hasn''t gone unnoticed in your part of the world.......

[/quote]

There is a reason I wasn''t about to miss it Nutty. Kathy was just recently chasing storms over here starting out in Oklahoma, which is directly south of Kansas. I was looking for a change of personality in Kathy after her exploits, sensing she may have emulated Dorothy in the 1939 classic. Perhaps she''s taken some video footage and has plans to direct a sequel. Who knows, she may even call it "The Wizard of Suffolk." I imagine a strange man in a trailer in those parts, with smoke constantly feeding out of the cracks as the old man utters his wild ramblings. He probably calls the A146 his Yellows Brick Road although, goodness knows, by all accounts he never uses it. [:D]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

There is a reason I wasn''t about to miss it Nutty. Kathy was just recently chasing storms over here starting out in Oklahoma, which is directly south of Kansas. I was looking for a change of personality in Kathy after her exploits, sensing she may have emulated Dorothy in the 1939 classic. Perhaps she''s taken some video footage and has plans to direct a sequel. Who knows, she may even call it "The Wizard of Suffolk." I imagine a strange man in a trailer in those parts, with smoke constantly feeding out of the cracks as the old man utters his wild ramblings. He probably calls the A146 his Yellows Brick Road although, goodness knows, by all accounts he never uses it. [:D]

[/quote]

How dare you and Nutty accuse me of infidelity. I''ll have you know that not once did the picture come off the wall in the kitchen, or the one on the office wall, the mask never left the dressing up drawer (cough), and the flip flop stayed firmly nestled under my pillow. You will both be hearing from my solicitors.

[quote user="Kathy "][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How dare you and Nutty accuse me of infidelity. I''ll have you know that not once did the picture come off the wall in the kitchen, or the one on the office wall, the mask never left the dressing up drawer (cough), and the flip flop stayed firmly nestled under my pillow. You will both be hearing from my solicitors.

[/quote]

I''m afraid I''m past my "sell by" date to understand terms like drawers and flip flops, and as far as your solicitors are concerned, my hearing has gone completely.

Four in a row? Possibly.

Also, how far up the all time goalscorers list could he be at the end of his new contract?

He''s currently level with John Deehan on 70. Ralph Hunt looks in danger this season on 72. A half decent season could see him overtake Vinall (80) and Fleck (84).

That leaves Iwan (96), Allcock (127) and Gavin (132). If he gets anywhere near the last two then the contract is money well spent!

Of course he can win four in a row. If he scores anything like the amount of goals he did last season the events of close season will soon be forgotten. And a goalscorer will normally beat any other player for player of the season.

[quote user="Kathy "]

How dare you and Nutty accuse me of infidelity.

[/quote]

Just two words from me on the matter of infidelity...........Jake Humphrey.

[quote user="claud"]Four in a row? Possibly. Also, how far up the all time goalscorers list could he be at the end of his new contract? He''s currently level with John Deehan on 70. Ralph Hunt looks in danger this season on 72. A half decent season could see him overtake Vinall (80) and Fleck (84). That leaves Iwan (96), Allcock (127) and Gavin (132). If he gets anywhere near the last two then the contract is money well spent![/quote]

I was going to post this at the end of last season but after the contract saga kicked off folk seemed to lose interest in Holty''s on the pitch exploits. The following is a list of the all time top twenty goal scorers.

GoalscorerGoalsGamesGoals per GameGames per Goal
Johnny Gavin1323380.392.56
Terry Allcock1273840.333.02
Iwan Roberts963060.313.19
Robert Fleck842990.283.56
Jack Vinall801810.442.26
Ralph Hunt721320.551.83
Grant Holt701300.541.86
John Deehan701940.362.77
Leslie Eyre692010.342.91
Ron Davies661260.521.91
Ted MacDougall661380.482.09
Jimmy Hill661950.342.95
Noel Kinsey652430.273.74
Ken Burditt611730.352.84
Roy Hollis591070.551.81
James Jackson571190.482.09
Kevin Drinkell571500.382.63
Ken Foggo571970.293.46
Ron Ashman566620.0811.82
Tommy Bryceland552810.205.11

But now look at that same list in order of goals per game : -

GoalscorerGoalsGamesGoals per GameGames per Goal
Roy Hollis591070.551.81
Ralph Hunt721320.551.83
Grant Holt701300.541.86
Ron Davies661260.521.91
James Jackson571190.482.09
Ted MacDougall661380.482.09
Jack Vinall801810.442.26
Johnny Gavin1323380.392.56
Kevin Drinkell571500.382.63
John Deehan701940.362.77
Ken Burditt611730.352.84
Leslie Eyre692010.342.91
Jimmy Hill661950.342.95
Terry Allcock1273840.333.02
Iwan Roberts963060.313.19
Ken Foggo571970.293.46
Robert Fleck842990.283.56
Noel Kinsey652430.273.74
Tommy Bryceland552810.205.11
Ron Ashman566620.0811.82

This is why I rate Holty so very highly. And why his exploits last season certainly deserved an improved contract. Considering Ralph Hunt and Roy Hollis scored their goals in a different era at a lower level Holt''s record becomes even more remarkable. Roy Hollis''s entry in Glorious Canaries states "The rise in Norwich''s status since those days plus tighter defences, better fitness, changing formations and even streamlined kit make it impossible to draw comparisons of one goalscorer to another."

Holty scored his goals in League One, a very competetive Championship and the Premier League which is a much higher level than those with similar strike rates. He has done his talking on the pitch for three seasons and fully deserves his three Barry Butlers. A second season in the Premier League will probably mean his strike rate will drop unless he scores 20 goals and if he does that a fourth POTS will be nailed on.