Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Hughton in for Nile Ranger?

I certainly hope not. Didn''t exactly set the world on fire at Sheff Wed. I imagine league 1 is probably his level, not to mention he has attitude problems and has been in and out of trouble, not exactly what we need here!

Not really what I''d have had in mind - I guess he has ''something'' or wouldn''t still be at Newcastle, but his police record seems more impressive than his goal scoring one!

Yeah after further "research" (aka reading his wikipedia) - I hope this is just a rumour, I wouldn''t want him here.

No, no and no. Let me have one final think...... NO! A big Darren Huckerby side-swerve from this one please!

Ihave never seen him play, and I don''t know his strengths and weaknesses. I think that he is pushing 30, so he is not the kind of player we have been used to. Perhaps CH knows him well enough to feel that he could get something more out of him.

Perhaps surprisingly he is down on the NU reserve squad list. He can''t be rated very highly by TOON, and would not cost very much, especially as they have several first team strikers.

I don''t have any strong feelings either way, but I trust Hughton''s judgement.

[quote user="Salopian"]

Ihave never seen him play, and I don''t know his strengths and weaknesses. I think that he is pushing 30, so he is not the kind of player we have been used to. Perhaps CH knows him well enough to feel that he could get something more out of him.

Perhaps surprisingly he is down on the NU reserve squad list. He can''t be rated very highly by TOON, and would not cost very much, especially as they have several first team strikers.

I don''t have any strong feelings either way, but I trust Hughton''s judgement.

[/quote]

He''s just turned 21.

First reaction, given the reputation he seems to be getting for himself in his personal life is no-not the sort of character we want, seems to be a Joey Barton lite-type figure, bad boy, attracts trouble and controversy and liable to court headlines for wrong reasons-him and Chris Martin out on the town together, there''s a thought...

Then I wonder if there isn''t a bloody good footballer lurking in there somewhere who might just succeed given the right club, surroundings and Manager?

Not sure if Lambert''s approach would have worked with him-you fought fire with fire with PL I suspect and gave back as good as you got-I  bet there were some scrapes and a half at Colney.

But Hughton seems more of a arm around shoulder type with hairdrier, flying tea cups and bollockings reserved for such times as when it does happen it so unusual that everyone sits up and takes notice-more a Bobby Robson method than an Alex Ferguson one (and am comparing methods and types, not their qualities and records as a Manager) which may be just what Ranger needs. If he has a certain something about him then yes, if theres anything in it, give him a go-but make it hugely clear what his responsibilities are and the cost if he slips.

I understand the first reactions of people to this one. But he must have potential and he''s still young. If Hughton rates him highly and thinks he would be a real assett to us, I trust his judgement. Please don''t overreact just now...we''ll see what happens. i know he''s strong and quite quick, with an eye for goal... But these are still just rumours!

Was more highly rated than Carroll a few years ago in terms of potential but appears to have thrown things away somewhat. A BIG gamble but fast, strong, tall and by all accounts talented. At the end of the day Hughton knows him more than we do - let him decide.

[quote user="The Doc"]Was more highly rated than Carroll a few years ago in terms of potential but appears to have thrown things away somewhat. A BIG gamble but fast, strong, tall and by all accounts talented. At the end of the day Hughton knows him more than we do - let him decide.[/quote]

exactly

[quote user="The Doc"]Was more highly rated than Carroll a few years ago in terms of potential but appears to have thrown things away somewhat. A BIG gamble but fast, strong, tall and by all accounts talented. At the end of the day Hughton knows him more than we do - let him decide.[/quote]

exactly

His record for scoring is awful (2 goals in 49 appearances for Newcastle)

But better than his record for misdemeanours (Wikipedia lists armed street robbery, an arrest for assault, being drunk & disorderly, posing with a replica gun, and making homophobic comments).

Enough said.

Oh come on!! Mr. Lambert already has this guys better replica at Villa. Delfouenso is almost identical to this guy in every way. But have to say, Ranger is even worse!! Was laughing at Lambert for having Delfouenso on his books, now we could have his worse replica :(

Both are terrible and both have just 2 goals. Both just run, run and run.No end product and no footballing brain.Keep him pretty please!! + The guy is a tw*t!!

NO Thanks, is he better than what we have NO imo will he add anything to the squad again No imo. Should be looking at better than that, As has been said he has not set the lower leagues on fire.