Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

how about Obafemi Martins?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/7873128/Baggies-learn-Martins-priceSo just seen this on skysports news, not a bad price for a quality striker. Whilst at Newcastle i used to love this guy, great pace and can finish, always expected him to move to Arsenal but it never materalised. Don''t think Hughton was at the Toon when he was there, nor was he at Birmingham when they had him on loan in 2011.But 3 M for a proven prem goalscorer is not a bad price at all, my main concern is his age - the article claims he is 27, but you never know with these Nigerian players.There has been plenty of talk of the over inflated price for English players and also the problem with bringing in someone from abroad, since you have no idea if they will fit into the English system, Martins seems to be an ideal solution.

A player i''ve always liked and i''d be thrilled to see him here!

However, i think his wages would be too far out of our range. I reckon he''d want 40-60k minimum. Guessing of course!

£3m ''ooh cheap'' i hear you say, ''1 Steve Morrison'' well actually, if you think he''ll be wanting £60k a week, and a 3 year deal, this with at least £1m for signing for us up front, that deal quickly becomes worth £13m over the 3 years.

Compare this to Morison who is perhaps on about £15k a week and got £300k to sign for us, and his deal is worth £5.5m over the 3 years...

Add this to the fact that other player contracts are probably linked to other earners, this bumps the deal for Martins up yet further. Part of this was the reason for stalling over a new deal for Holt.

It isn''t as simple as the transfer fee...

Would be surprised if on that much but you could well be right, Ruben Kazen are not the biggest club. West Brom also have a wage cap which i think is 25K and 40K for 3 players, so if they are in, we should get in there too.

I''m not sure. The age thing is rather a large factor.

I could be wrong but I think it is one of the reasons why he has been shuttled from club to club, at least had something to do with him leaving Newcastle.

This article is a few years old but is one of many out there:

http://observer.gm/africa/gambia/article/age-scandal-hits-nigeria-u-17-camp-1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/21/nigerian-football-age-old-problem

There are reasonably accurate ways to age players these days.

Wouldn''t be able to afford one of his diamonds he wears let alone god knows how old this guy is.

What about Hernan Crespo for one season. Always scored goals out of contract

Hernan Crespo ............. out of contract and 37! Would he last another season at the top? No!

Obafemi Martins always flatters to deceive. That''s why he never stays at one club too long. He must be the mosy difficult player in the Premiership (when he has been there) for other players to play with and when managers find that out they move him on. But he''s got pace and he''s got ....... pace.

I wouldn''t want him if he was free and £5K a week. No thanks.

[quote user="priceyrice"]http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/7873128/Baggies-learn-Martins-price

So just seen this on skysports news, not a bad price for a quality striker.

Whilst at Newcastle i used to love this guy, great pace and can finish, always expected him to move to Arsenal but it never materalised. Don''t think Hughton was at the Toon when he was there, nor was he at Birmingham when they had him on loan in 2011.

But 3 M for a proven prem goalscorer is not a bad price at all, my main concern is his age - the article claims he is 27, but you never know with these Nigerian players.

There has been plenty of talk of the over inflated price for English players and also the problem with bringing in someone from abroad, since you have no idea if they will fit into the English system, Martins seems to be an ideal solution.
[/quote]

Start worrying if he begins calling himself Martin Obafemis.