Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

money where your mouth is Holt

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="Kingston Yellow"]

It''s extremely likely that he''s stayed at NCFC for significantly less than he could have earned elsewhere.

Get off his back.

[/quote]

This X 1000

[/quote]Yep I think fans who have the urge to knock him for the sake of it should give this a little thought.  Fag packet reckoning suggests a £5m move to WetSpam could''ve bagged a £½m signing fee and a much larger wage.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Give it a rest Jas.[/quote]

Ditto.

Grant Holt has nothing to prove to us.   He is an asset to this club and will score goals.  Its what he does.   And he will always give his best - as he always does.    No case to answer.

[/quote]

All he did was secure his family''s future, just like anyone would do, As Did Rooney and Gerrard have done at thier clubs,   

I understand your points Aylsha but the thing is it is an assumption as to what went on with the initial negotiations ( whilst Lambo was till with us).

Reading between the lines I feel McNally got heated, maybe because of Holts idiot agent and insinuated that Holt had only decent year left and he wasn''t that important to the squad. If something like that was said most of us could imagine how the big man would have reacted :-)

No doubt we will never know exactly what happened and it is not a great idea to assume like Jas, Baldyboy and a minority on this board.

Whatever Holt does next year, and he will have a job to replicate his achievements, what is guaranteed in his fantastic work rate and support for his fellow players.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]so.. having thrown a wobbly to get more money... Held the club to ransome and got what he wanted Grant Holt is happy to "stay at Norwich".

now is the time for Grant Holt to put his money where his mouth is.... If the goals dry up then he will be left looking very silly. Hughton has put the trust in Holt to do the business now and we know Hughton doesnt suffer fools gladly..

Grant Holt might be the blue eyed boy but it can change in a heart beat... if we get to October and he has failed to Register, or get to christmas and he hasnt hit 5 goals then questions will be asked.... West Hams offer will be long forgotten and the fans will feel let down once again...

So, Will Holt rest on his laurels with his new contract and one eye on retirement? or will he prove the point that he was right all along?

Its in his best interests...
[/quote]

The only polite word I can come up with is............tripe!

Are we all assuming then, that Holt clashed with McNasty over the additional year not being offered.I would have thought that the manager would be the one to indicate to the board whether a player should have his contract extended or not and as it''s fairly obvious that Lambert already had one foot out of the door, could the situation have been contrived by him - a smoking gun as it were - to unsettle our top striker. Villa, after all, will be competing with us to avoid the trapdoor.Forgive me if I have missed the statement from either Holt or the club explaining what exactly sparked everything off - I have been known to drop off now and then.

Maybe it was Lambert''s advice, but it was certainly McNally as the messenger.  As I said yesterday, McNally''s absence from the Press conference was notable.

[quote user="Orford65"]Are we all assuming then, that Holt clashed with McNasty over the additional year not being offered.I would have thought that the manager would be the one to indicate to the board whether a player should have his contract extended or not and as it''s fairly obvious that Lambert already had one foot out of the door, could the situation have been contrived by him - a smoking gun as it were - to unsettle our top striker. Villa, after all, will be competing with us to avoid the trapdoor.Forgive me if I have missed the statement from either Holt or the club explaining what exactly sparked everything off - I have been known to drop off now and then.[/quote]Maybe Holt/Agent & McNally started off on the wrong foot as it were.  We did have a tweet originally from McNally outlining the order of which players will be seen first. Out-of-contacts - final year - A N Others etc. It may have just been something daft like McNally thought Holt/Agent was queue jumping. Holt/Agent thought he was being unfair and it went a bit silly after that.

[quote user="Orford65"]Are we all assuming then, that Holt clashed with McNasty over the additional year not being offered.

I would have thought that the manager would be the one to indicate to the board whether a player should have his contract extended or not and as it''s fairly obvious that Lambert already had one foot out of the door, could the situation have been contrived by him - a smoking gun as it were - to unsettle our top striker. Villa, after all, will be competing with us to avoid the trapdoor.

Forgive me if I have missed the statement from either Holt or the club explaining what exactly sparked everything off - I have been known to drop off now and then.
[/quote]

Holt/his agent said there were two points at issue. One that when they approached the club months ago they were promised talks within a week or so, but that the club kept putting them off. Weeks turned into months. In other words the club reneged on its promise. Whether that is true depends on whether you believe the agent. It was never denied by the club. If it is true, then it seems that the problems escalated from there. That created the initial ill-feeling.

I know the club later said it dealt with contracts in a particular order, with Holt not being in the first batch, but in that case the promise to treat Holt as a priority (assuming etc...) shouldn''t have been made. The fact that the club later went to the trouble of explaining the order in which it dealt with contracts might suggest it was providing an after the event rationale for having broken that alleged promise. Equally, there may have been no promise.

The second point made by the agent was that Holt wanted  a three-year deal, and the club refused that. Again this depends on whether you believe the agent, but in this case I think almost certainly the club would have denied that if it wasn''t true. I think it is fair to assume the agent was telling the truth about that.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I understand your points Aylsha but the thing is it is an assumption as to what went on with the initial negotiations ( whilst Lambo was till with us). Reading between the lines I feel McNally got heated, maybe because of Holts idiot agent and insinuated that Holt had only decent year left and he wasn''t that important to the squad. If something like that was said most of us could imagine how the big man would have reacted :-) No doubt we will never know exactly what happened and it is not a great idea to assume like Jas, Baldyboy and a minority on this board. Whatever Holt does next year, and he will have a job to replicate his achievements, what is guaranteed in his fantastic work rate and support for his fellow players.[/quote]

You''re right, my opinion is only based on assuming that the info. we have been made aware of is true - Holt wanted a 3rd year, McNally tweeted about the order of negotiations and Holt''s agent said Holt did eventually get offered the contract around the time of Drury''s testimonial but it was too late because of some things that had been said etc. To be fair I think there was probably right and wrong on both sides; I agree that is very likely that McNally may have got heated and wrongly made Holt feel unvalued. It also seems that Holt and his agent jumped the gun with regards to contract negotiations, something I deem unrespectful to the club and fellow players, which I presume Holt has alluded to in a recent interview -  "I do appreciate where the club was coming from in terms of the process we''ve gone through to get to this point."

With regards to being in a minority, it doesn''t bother me. I''ve been consistent on what I''ve thought on this whole situation in that I didn''t agree with how the whole thing has been handled with the tweets etc. (I know the counter argument that people liked to be informed of Holt''s views etc.) but that I hoped it could be resolved and I''m now glad it has been. I''m of the opinion that Holt will continue to give his all for the club as he always has done, but I do believe that if he has a poor season people will no doubt talk about what happened this summer. When Holt handed in the request, I can''t remember who exactly but there were a good number of people talking badly of him, now there are very few being so open about their views, but I bet they will be as soon as he isn''t playing quite as well. I won''t be one to start criticising him, I know he will give his all, I''m just saying I don''t think he has helped himself.

None of us know what happened and it sounds to me like 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

The main point is we''d have done well to get £6m for Holt and there''s no way we''d sign someone who''s scored 15 goals in a PL season for that, and there are no obvious lower-league prospects you''d want to gamble on.  Keeping Holt makes next season look a lot more promising, and with the extra money the year after, if we can stay up we can then look at more depth up front (or Houghton may even look at it this summer/Jan).

And I have a lot of sympathy for Holt.  Realistically this is his chance to get financial security before the end of his footballing career, I''d probably have done the same in his place.

PS I wasn''t replying to Alysha, who''s last post appeared while I was typing mine.  I''d agree that if Holt has a bad patch some fans may turn on him as a result of the way this has been handled (not me), but also that he''ll give 100% next season.

[quote user="shefcanary"]Maybe it was Lambert''s advice, but it was certainly McNally as the messenger.  As I said yesterday, McNally''s absence from the Press conference was notable.[/quote]

There is another explanation for McNally''s absence........

During the reign of Paul Lambert, McNally could have been there in part as an interpreter........... now that we have an eloquent manager, he doesn''t feel the need to be there.......[:D]

Jas you and your new friend BW should go away together and dig a big hole, then jump in and let someone fill it in.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

i felt a bit let down by the way he went about the contract and dragged the clubs name through the mud...[/quote]

Exactly how and where was the clubs name dragged through the mud ?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

i felt a bit let down by the way he went about the contract and dragged the clubs name through the mud...

[/quote]Thats funny Jas, I felt a little let down by your OP !

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Some good points there alysha and well made as usual.[/quote]

Thanks Bury Yellow, likewise [:)]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

i felt a bit let down by the way he went about the contract and dragged the clubs name through the mud...

[/quote]

Thats funny Jas, I felt a little let down by your OP !
[/quote]

As did GH I would imagine.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]

Or he could score 10 goals by x-mas and be a bigger hero, but only time will tell, Or can you tell me if i will win the lottery this week, what a Sh*te post!!

[/quote]

Bang on post and screen name, zemas tendon, and I don''t even know who zema is.  I like your "what if it does work" attitude much better than the OP''s "what if it doesn''t" one.  That''s why teams sign players to contracts longer than one match.

[quote user="alysha"]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I understand your points Aylsha but the thing is it is an assumption as to what went on with the initial negotiations ( whilst Lambo was till with us). Reading between the lines I feel McNally got heated, maybe because of Holts idiot agent and insinuated that Holt had only decent year left and he wasn''t that important to the squad. If something like that was said most of us could imagine how the big man would have reacted :-) No doubt we will never know exactly what happened and it is not a great idea to assume like Jas, Baldyboy and a minority on this board. Whatever Holt does next year, and he will have a job to replicate his achievements, what is guaranteed in his fantastic work rate and support for his fellow players.[/quote]

You''re right, my opinion is only based on assuming that the info. we have been made aware of is true - Holt wanted a 3rd year, McNally tweeted about the order of negotiations and Holt''s agent said Holt did eventually get offered the contract around the time of Drury''s testimonial but it was too late because of some things that had been said etc. To be fair I think there was probably right and wrong on both sides; I agree that is very likely that McNally may have got heated and wrongly made Holt feel unvalued. It also seems that Holt and his agent jumped the gun with regards to contract negotiations, something I deem unrespectful to the club and fellow players, which I presume Holt has alluded to in a recent interview -  "I do appreciate where the club was coming from in terms of the process we''ve gone through to get to this point."

With regards to being in a minority, it doesn''t bother me. I''ve been consistent on what I''ve thought on this whole situation in that I didn''t agree with how the whole thing has been handled with the tweets etc. (I know the counter argument that people liked to be informed of Holt''s views etc.) but that I hoped it could be resolved and I''m now glad it has been. I''m of the opinion that Holt will continue to give his all for the club as he always has done, but I do believe that if he has a poor season people will no doubt talk about what happened this summer. When Holt handed in the request, I can''t remember who exactly but there were a good number of people talking badly of him, now there are very few being so open about their views, but I bet they will be as soon as he isn''t playing quite as well. I won''t be one to start criticising him, I know he will give his all, I''m just saying I don''t think he has helped himself.

[/quote]Well I''m in the minority too alysha.Of course I''m pleased that Holt has decided that maybe the grass isn''t greener elsewhere. I''d like to think it wasn''t just about money and length of contract. Someone who scored 15 goals in his first season in the top flight wouldn''t have been easy to replace. Age is slightly against him and I''m looking forward to seeing how he performs in that all important third year ( assuming he''s still here of course )I''m just a bit disappointed how Holt and his clown of an agent went about it. Couldn''t the transfer request have waited a couple of days until after Drury''s testimonial ? And all this Twitter nonsense. It just seems to cause more harm than good,as Joey Barton, amongst others, has already proved.It''s strange how many people there were on here happily hurling abuse at Holt until Tuesday this week. Now all of a sudden it''s all gone very quiet he''s the best thing since sliced bread..... On the face of it too David McNally has been made to look a bit foolish.. Whether or not he held the carrot of an extra year as an ace up his sleeve we''ll never know. As he''s not exactly cuddly I somehow doubt it and he''s had to back down. I doubt he was too happy about that.Let''s hope that now everyone''s kissed and made up it all works out well for club and player. But I can''t help agreeing that Holt needs to hit the ground running early on in the season or the knives will be out again very quickly indeed. NCFC and it''s supporters need Holt firing on all cylinders if we don''t all want to be sweating on relegation from day one......

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="zemas tendon"]

Or he could score 10 goals by x-mas and be a bigger hero, but only time will tell, Or can you tell me if i will win the lottery this week, what a Sh*te post!!

[/quote]

Bang on post and screen name, zemas tendon, and I don''t even know who zema is.  I like your "what if it does work" attitude much better than the OP''s "what if it doesn''t" one.  That''s why teams sign players to contracts longer than one match.

[/quote]

I assume it''s Zema Abbey...you know that bloke who used to play for us or are you a young whippersnapper????

Irritating ex lower league football agent and ex tyre fitter turned premiership footballer in need of a final pay day meets hard nosed chief executive for contract talks. It''s not necessarily guarenteed to go smoothly is it? We can analyze this all day long but lets face it, there was a clash of views and opinions and the whole saga was quite pathetic really.

And for the record, my opinion of Grant Holt is no lower than it was. I think he just got impatient that''s all. I doubt that he consciously meant to disrespect his fellow pros. If McNally was promising him contract talks early on that it''s not his fault, perhaps he just felt put out. If Holt had used his brain more then maybe he could have timed his transfer request better. But since when have footballers been known to use their brains? I swear some people on here expect him hold a Doctorate in human relations or something. And who knows what his agent was trying to instigate.

Lets get back to focusing on what Grant Holt is good at. Being a fantastic footballer for Norwich City Football Club. I don''t doubt he ever truly wanted to leave us. He loves this club, but for whatever reason he obviously felt he needed to give his family some extra security. I''m glad the club has given him it. He''s always given us 100% and will continue to do so. He could have probably earned more elsewhere so he has shown us some loyalty.

And Jas, since when did Holt hold us to ransom and put us through the dirt? There was nothing to stop the club selling him for a decent fee, he didn''t hold that much power over us! I''ve been reading your posts for years and often thought of you as a decent poster, but you are turning into the next BW, don''t let it happen! :P

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]so.. having thrown a wobbly to get more money... Held the club to ransome and got what he wanted Grant Holt is happy to "stay at Norwich".[/quote]

I have heard strong rumours about the sums of money involved and he undoubtedly had cause for complaint IMO after some outstanding service for the club.

I know football shouldn''t be such a fickle business but here it is.............................................................................................Forgiven!!

Who wouldn''t want a player like him at their club? I am well chuffed over here that the legend has a chance to grow even more. Every club needs a Holt but few have one. Apart from the recent dispute it''s been like some epic ''Roy of The Rovers'' story that I thought didn''t happen in football anymore. The national press can''t get enough of him scoring against Billion pound teams. He raised the profile of the club last year with his story, they are loving every minute. I didn''t expect nor want the story to end and I don''t expect any other NCFC fan really wanted him to move on, even in the heat of the speculation regarding his future.

I can forgive the club paying out a bit more for a bit longer as I believe he is integral to our success. 

I look at the RVP thing today and feel so chuffed that our ''point man'' really did want to stay at a club for reasons other than money.

I really hope he can continue the great form and effort for us next year and that age doesn''t catch up for a good while yet!  

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]We get it...

you dont like Grant Holt.

[/quote]

Don''t think Jas dislikes him, think the whole saga has just left a bitter taste in his mouth as it has in mine and others, lets face it when he first asked to leave he was the devil on here and now hes staying he''s the messiah who no-one is allowed to criticise.

As our captain he has acted very unprofessional announcing very publically on twitter that he wanted to leave. Not only that he must have also known that us fans were still hurting/worried after finding out that Lambert was leaving and not knowing who his replacement would be so his timing wasn''t too good either.

Now I will support anyone on the pitch wearing our shirt but I would prefer it if you didn''t kiss your badge anymore Mr Holt and pretend you love us, as you did on the lap of honour, because if you hadn''t of got your 3 year contract we all know you would have been off to pastures new, with no thought of the fans who idolise you.

Loyalty is a rare breed nowadays in the world of football, Drury had it in bucketfuls, shame you didn''t learn from him!

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]We get it...

you dont like Grant Holt.

[/quote]

Don''t think Jas dislikes him, think the whole saga has just left a bitter taste in his mouth as it has in mine and others, lets face it when he first asked to leave he was the devil on here and now hes staying he''s the messiah who no-one is allowed to criticise.

As our captain he has acted very unprofessional announcing very publically on twitter that he wanted to leave. Not only that he must have also known that us fans were still hurting/worried after finding out that Lambert was leaving and not knowing who his replacement would be so his timing wasn''t too good either.

Now I will support anyone on the pitch wearing our shirt but I would prefer it if you didn''t kiss your badge anymore Mr Holt and pretend you love us, as you did on the lap of honour, because if you hadn''t of got your 3 year contract we all know you would have been off to pastures new, with no thought of the fans who idolise you.

Loyalty is a rare breed nowadays in the world of football, Drury had it in bucketfuls, shame you didn''t learn from him!

[/quote]

Huckerby had it to, developed a real affinity with the club and kept the love even after we 5h1t all over him.

I don''t blame Holt for not having that level of affinity with the club and if every player had that at every club, then no transfers would ever happen, unless a club went out of business or told a player they were no longer needed.  Loyalty is uncommon in football and can be highlighted particularly when players leave the club they ''love'', support and have played for since they were in the youth team, to get more money somewhere else or to ''further their careers''.

Like I say I don''t blame Holt for not having such a strong affinity, but where I do take umbradge is the way he went about trying to resolve his issues.  We don''t know the full story and the club may be partly to blame for the way things were handled, but the fact remains Holt did what he did, when he did it.  The timing of his actions were as distasteful as were those actions.

Why as football fans do we expect players to be loyal to our club? Grant doesn''t support Norwich, and until 3 years ago he''d probably never set foot in Norwich. Why would he put our adulation for him above his familiy''s security?

I know we''ve been good for his career, but let''s not forget he''s been equally as good for us.

Not sure about that CityAngel.

I think it''s regrettable that this was played out in public, but McNally deserves as much criticism as Holt, I personally don''t think that there should have been any question of us offering the third year given what he has done in the previous 3. You may have noticed that he has won player of the year for the last 3 years, which means that the general consensus is that he has been our best player for the last three years. If all RVP wanted at Arsenal was a 1 year extension do you think they''d give it to their best player? Or would they um and ahh and upset their prized asset?

As for badge kissing, well, it can be a bit vomit inducing at times from certain individuals but Holt isn''t one of them. He has never given less than his best for Norwich City, that''s all I can ask and loyalty works both ways. If Drury felt that he was being undermined and underpaid do you think he''d have just swallowed it and stayed here anyway?

I hope you''re as good as your word and get behind Holt and the rest of the players from minute one, after all, he will be wearing that yellow shirt, that''s more than Adam Drury will be.