Sign in to follow this  
pablofarmer

H&H for England

Just seen on a rumour site that Holt and Howson are to be selected for the next England friendly, with Alan Hansen the source.

Understand Howson being chosen but after not taking him to the Euros why Holt now?

What are your thoughts, beyond the obvious that this is nothing more than a fake bit of speculation?

A few reasons. First of all it''s quite clear that Hodgson had very little time to work with players in the build up to Euro 2012, so understandibly he mainly went with players that he has worked with before and/or have a lot of experience at that level and wouldn''t let him down.

Now that is over he can use the friendlies for what they were meant for in trying out new players.

Then you have the other factors such as where will Carrol be then? Especially if he this suggestion of a loan takes him abroad and it takes him a while to settle etc. Wellbeck''s contractual situation is a bit dodgey as well.

At the moment Holt is in a steady long term contract and is happy.

Howson is an even more obvious one for me. I doubt we will see the likes of Gerrard or Lampard playing every game for England anymore. Infact how many of the current crop of players will even make it to the World Cup in two years time?

Ferdinand and Lampard will be 35+, Gerrard will be close behind along with A.Cole, Barry and Parker.

The last tournament was now or never for Holt. I can''t see him being effective at 33 for a tournament in the heat and humidity of Brazil. So there is no point in selecting him. As for Howson if Jordan Henderson can get England caps then why not?

[quote user="Jacko"]The last tournament was now or never for Holt. I can''t see him being effective at 33 for a tournament in the heat and humidity of Brazil. So there is no point in selecting him. As for Howson if Jordan Henderson can get England caps then why not?[/quote]Snap. Holt had one chance and the Hodge didnt pick him, at 33 in the next tournament, I can''t see it working out. Still, it would be nice to see Holt given a cap or two or three, just unfortunate it took so long. I look forward to seeing it if it is true. Saying that, I wonder what that tournament would have done in regards to the contract situation :oHowson on the other hand would be a good call with an ever ageing midfield

Maybe Hodgson unlike most of England isn''t taking qualification for the next tournament as a given and is preparing to identify the best players for the qualification process rather than the distant finals?

I think we need to take a slightly more long term approach than that now. Rather than the make do and mend approach we have kept muddling along with. Realistically due to the conditions and talent pool we have absolutely no chance of progressing deep into that tournament in Brazil. I would rather we blooded players who can potentially turn us into an effective counter attacking unit who can retain possession a bit. Hand on heart as much as we love him is Holty the answer to that long term vision now?

Here is the link, a few posts down.

http://www.norwichcityrumours.co.uk/norwich-banter.php

Also was not suggesting Howson selection would be strange. Think he is an obvious choice in an ageing midfield for England

[quote user="Jacko"]I think we need to take a slightly more long term approach than that now. Rather than the make do and mend approach we have kept muddling along with. Realistically due to the conditions and talent pool we have absolutely no chance of progressing deep into that tournament in Brazil. I would rather we blooded players who can potentially turn us into an effective counter attacking unit who can retain possession a bit. Hand on heart as much as we love him is Holty the answer to that long term vision now?[/quote]

Long term no but without a doubt the state of the current England team and the way we performed at the Euro''s, which was by far playing at maximum capacity given our lack of quality at International level, Holty would slot in perfect as a lone striker or of a 2.

His hold up play and targetmanship (word?) was sorely missed during the Euro''s, and the way he keeps hold of the ball and brings into play our midfielders would have helped us immensely.

I didnt see much hold up and link play from Rooney, Wellbeck or Carroll, something that was sorely missed given the defensive counter attack style we played.

For me Holt was sorely missed and you can take pointers from Norwich, not a team of stars but collectively organised and square pegs in square holes that suit the quality level and tactics to a tee. This is why our tactics and style of play is so much more effective when Holt plays. Its not all about your stars names like Rooney, its about a system, tactics and the right players to execute it. Much in the same way Heskey had a number of good games for England, he may not have scored much, or any, but his style of play, targetman and bringing into the play the players that were quality, suited us at the time.

So its a rumour from another ''make up your own'' rumour site? Oh well at least it makes for good discussion.

I''m not sure I would like to rule a player out of a tournament aged 33. Pirlo anyone?

I think we have to look at what there is out there in terms of striking tallent.

Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Sturidge, Defoe, Crouch, Carlton Cole, Bent and Holt. Looking at that list Defoe is starting to loose his pace, Crouch just isn''t as good as he has been and Carlton Cole is not convincing.

Welbeck and Sturidge are the future and in two years will hopefully be ontop of their game. I genuinely think that Holt has to be in consideration if he is still in the premiership and still performing as he did last season. You can''t rule him out. Other than Carroll most of the other players don''t fit that role of holding the ball up. Some because they are young and want to take players on more often than not.

We''ve got to qualify for the f**cker first!

I hate all these ''let''s prepare for the future'' mongers...that did us really well in the last two tournaments didn''t it?

Holts goals could be the difference In qualifying

[quote user="J"][quote user="Jacko"]The last tournament was now or never for Holt. I can''t see him being effective at 33 for a tournament in the heat and humidity of Brazil. So there is no point in selecting him. As for Howson if Jordan Henderson can get England caps then why not?[/quote]

Snap. Holt had one chance and the Hodge didnt pick him, at 33 in the next tournament, I can''t see it working out. Still, it would be nice to see Holt given a cap or two or three, just unfortunate it took so long. I look forward to seeing it if it is true. Saying that, I wonder what that tournament would have done in regards to the contract situation :o

Howson on the other hand would be a good call with an ever ageing midfield
[/quote]

Surely it''s obvious that Hodgson feels he will be useful for qualification. Carroll was presumably selected for the Euros due to his previous international experience as Holt had zero. Now is the chance to blood him as we will no doubt need strength in depth for qualification as injuries and suspensions will take their toll. I would not rule him out going to Brazil if he proves himself as Holt has certain unique attributes. .  

Don''t get me wrong, I could see him getting some goals and bringing something extra to the team and still going to Brazil if he were called up and all went well from now onwards with a decent couple of seasons. I would still pick him for the squad now personally to give the squad that something extra, it''s just a case that in two more years I just feel he won''t be doing as good as now - I''ll be happy to be proved wrong, mind. Picking him now for the present I still think he could do a good job for England.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="J"][quote user="Jacko"]The last tournament was now or never for Holt. I can''t see him being effective at 33 for a tournament in the heat and humidity of Brazil. So there is no point in selecting him. As for Howson if Jordan Henderson can get England caps then why not?[/quote]Snap. Holt had one chance and the Hodge didnt pick him, at 33 in the next tournament, I can''t see it working out. Still, it would be nice to see Holt given a cap or two or three, just unfortunate it took so long. I look forward to seeing it if it is true. Saying that, I wonder what that tournament would have done in regards to the contract situation :oHowson on the other hand would be a good call with an ever ageing midfield[/quote]

Surely it''s obvious that Hodgson feels he will be useful for qualification. Carroll was presumably selected for the Euros due to his previous international experience as Holt had zero. Now is the chance to blood him as we will no doubt need strength in depth for qualification as injuries and suspensions will take their toll. I would not rule him out going to Brazil if he proves himself as Holt has certain unique attributes. .  

[/quote]
No, Carroll was picked because Hodgson thinks he is a better player

Hucks boots- get what you''re saying but the football we have played over the last three years obviously had more to do with Lambert, Culverhouse et al. We have absolutely no idea how the players will react to Hughton and the style of play he''ll employ.

Lambert had so much tactical nous and an air of ''unbeatability'' about him. I rate Hughton, but it worries me that his manner is too nice. Almost seems like he''s not bothered when his team gets beat. Plus, I think Calderwood is a bit of a twonk and we all know Holt had his issues with him in the past.... will our side want to give as much for these guys? I hope they do and I''m not going to make any judgements until I see the way we set up and, more importantly, adapt the formation at the necessary times.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]We''ve got to qualify for the f**cker first!

I hate all these ''let''s prepare for the future'' mongers...that did us really well in the last two tournaments didn''t it?

Holts goals could be the difference In qualifying[/quote]

We''ve never prepared for the future. Germany have. Spain have. England haven''t.

[quote user="BobbyLo"]Hucks boots- get what you''re saying but the football we have played over the last three years obviously had more to do with Lambert, Culverhouse et al. We have absolutely no idea how the players will react to Hughton and the style of play he''ll employ.

Lambert had so much tactical nous and an air of ''unbeatability'' about him. I rate Hughton, but it worries me that his manner is too nice. Almost seems like he''s not bothered when his team gets beat. Plus, I think Calderwood is a bit of a twonk and we all know Holt had his issues with him in the past.... will our side want to give as much for these guys? I hope they do and I''m not going to make any judgements until I see the way we set up and, more importantly, adapt the formation at the necessary times.[/quote]

What? We''re talking about Holt for England and whether it''s worthwhile given he''ll be 33 by the time World Cup gets here.

We''re not talking about Hughton.

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="J"][quote user="Jacko"]The last tournament was now or never for Holt. I can''t see him being effective at 33 for a tournament in the heat and humidity of Brazil. So there is no point in selecting him. As for Howson if Jordan Henderson can get England caps then why not?[/quote]

Snap. Holt had one chance and the Hodge didnt pick him, at 33 in the next tournament, I can''t see it working out. Still, it would be nice to see Holt given a cap or two or three, just unfortunate it took so long. I look forward to seeing it if it is true. Saying that, I wonder what that tournament would have done in regards to the contract situation :o

Howson on the other hand would be a good call with an ever ageing midfield
[/quote]

[/quote]

No, Carroll was picked because Hodgson thinks he is a better player

[/quote]

.. and in some ways perhaps he is but he was the best choice IMO at the time and may well go to Brazil instead of Holt. The fact is that big forwards that are good in the air don''t grow on trees. If Carroll is injured we have nobody but Holt unless you know somebody else.   

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="BobbyLo"]Hucks boots- get what you''re saying but the football we have played over the last three years obviously had more to do with Lambert, Culverhouse et al. We have absolutely no idea how the players will react to Hughton and the style of play he''ll employ.

Lambert had so much tactical nous and an air of ''unbeatability'' about him. I rate Hughton, but it worries me that his manner is too nice. Almost seems like he''s not bothered when his team gets beat. Plus, I think Calderwood is a bit of a twonk and we all know Holt had his issues with him in the past.... will our side want to give as much for these guys? I hope they do and I''m not going to make any judgements until I see the way we set up and, more importantly, adapt the formation at the necessary times.[/quote]

What? We''re talking about Holt for England and whether it''s worthwhile given he''ll be 33 by the time World Cup gets here.

We''re not talking about Hughton.[/quote]

Blimey! Don''t sh1t yourself about it. Haha!

You started talking about our tactics and the way Holt plays within our team. I was merely pointing out that the coaching staff and management has changed and with that comes, potentially, a change in the ideology. Which may mean Holt adapts and has to play differently. Same as he would have to under yet another different manager if he was playing for England.

,[quote user="pablofarmer"]Just seen on a rumour site that Holt and Howson are to be selected for the next England friendly, with Alan Hansen the source. Understand Howson being chosen but after not taking him to the Euros why Holt now? What are your thoughts, beyond the obvious that this is nothing more than a fake bit of speculation?[/quote]

Good people of Norwich city Please believe me when I say this is nothing more than a wind up, I know the originator of this rumour, he lives not 2 minutes from my front door, He''s a Binner and told me himself he put it there, So sorry folks dream over.