Sign in to follow this  
Paulo_M

I'm concerned...

... about the expectation levels of some of our fans! I think the unreasonably high expectations will only lead to disappointment this season (already seeing it this on this message board!).What expectations am I talking about? Here are a few examples, along with why I think some fans need to relax..."Why is it so quiet on the transfer front?"Well, first off, it hasn''t been quiet. We''ve signed 2 players... & resolved the issue with Holt. We''ve also sorted out new contracts for others. Also, CH hasn''t been in the job long & the Euro''s will have impacted things. We still have over a month until the window closes... plenty of time."Why aren''t we spending the cash? Southampton have spent £7m on Jay Rod etc."I find it weird how fans aren''t happy with 2 freebie signings, especially when transfer fees for British players are loopy at the mo''... would the same fans be happy if we spent say £3m each on those? Would they make them better signings? I would prefer to get a player on the cheap than spend £7m on someone unproven like Jay Rod."We need to strengthen in all areas".I see some expect us to sign players in almost every position. These fans seem to forget that we have 10 players on our books that weren''t here this time last year. That level of recruitment simply can''t continue.The main thing people seem to forget is that we had certain players were either long term injured or brought in during Jan... and as such we haven''t seen the current squad from the start of the season. For example, instead of Barnett/De Laet at CB, for the start of next season we have Ayala/Bennett... so already we have a stronger CB pairing compared to the beginning of last season.

"Whittaker is not good enough/not exciting signing"Really? The long term RB for Rangers isn''t good enough for us? Have you seen him play regularly? We should be delighted that we are in a position where we can sign these sorts of players.... especially on a freebie and in a position we really needed to strengthen.

"We should sign [unrealistic target]"I see suggestions like Defoe & Owen and it just makes me chuckle. Don''t get me wrong, I would love it if that calibre of player signed, but we shouldn''t expect it. Also they would be a total luxury - do you really think they''d be thinking "wow, Norwich - would love it play for them!". I would much prefer up and coming players that want to prove themselves.Also, our biggest issue with attracting "stars" is our wage budget... unlike other clubs, we are being run professionally and as such we are living in our means... signing someone like Owen would destroy our wage structure, which would either mean player unrest or needing to up every player wage... which in turn would mean we would be absolutely screwed if we got relegated. It would be a massive gamble.

"We should sign players that are better than what we have"I agree with this to an extent, but how do we know if a player is/is not better than what we have? Also, having 2 players of similar quality competing for the same position would mean you''d get the best out of them... if we had 2 players of vastly different qualities then there''s less desire for either to perform (i.e. the "star" player will always get picked, even if they can''t be bothered).

"Our strikers aren''t good enough"Nonsense... those thinking Morison is rubbish are fools... scoring 1 in 3 games is impressive in the prem league. We scored for fun last season and though the forward players are the "exciting" ones to sign, it''s simply not a priority in my eyes (unless we sell Vaughan, Jackson or Martin).--So what are my expectations? Next season will be tougher - it''s a stronger league (no club with Wolves/Blackburn like issues by the looks of it, Reading will splash the cash, QPR will be stronger), but we are already stronger than the start of last season. A great season for me will be the same again - safely mid table... though I would take 4th from bottom now.In terms of signings, we *need* a LB... and that''s about it (unless other players leave)... I think we could do with a really good defensive midfielder, someone as backup for Pilks/Bennett and someone with experience at the back (though maybe thats the new LB), but I don''t think we need it for day one... much better to save money for January incase we get long term injuries (i.e. if Holt & Morison got injured long term, then we would need a big striker... though we don''t *need* another one as it stands).Some will say I''m not ambitious, but I don''t think a club our size can expect much more than establishing themselves in the Prem league (unless we are taken over by a billionaire)... just look at the likes of Stoke, Villa, West Brom etc... I think we need a few years of consolidation and stability - survive for a couple more seasons and then we should start dreaming of Europe :)

excellent analysis, both of the situation and of peoples hopes and fears. the main overriding concern is to stay financially viable and only expand our playing resources in a manner that stays within this limit. we do not want a portsmouth scenario at carrow road. they are indeed lucky to still be in exustence.[ip]

All far too sensible and level headed for here... Accepting things at face value is easier for some than others however sometimes fans need to push their clubs further than they want to go of their own accord and without a proportion of fans shouting that we should be challenging other clubs for the likes of hoilett / Defoe etc and offering 50K per week maybe we wouldn''t be signing scottish internationals on 20k per week. A little questioning and unrealism can be a good thing too.

Excellent post Paulo, Agreen with pretty much all of your points.

[quote user="Paulo_M"]... about the expectation levels of some of our fans! I think the unreasonably high expectations will only lead to disappointment this season (already seeing it this on this message board!)....So what are my expectations? Next season will be tougher - it''s a stronger league (no club with Wolves/Blackburn like issues by the looks of it, Reading will splash the cash, QPR will be stronger), but we are already stronger than the start of last season. A great season for me will be the same again - safely mid table... though I would take 4th from bottom now.In terms of signings, we *need* a LB... and that''s about it (unless other players leave)... I think we could do with a really good defensive midfielder, someone as backup for Pilks/Bennett and someone with experience at the back (though maybe thats the new LB), but I don''t think we need it for day one... much better to save money for January incase we get long term injuries (i.e. if Holt & Morison got injured long term, then we would need a big striker... though we don''t *need* another one as it stands).Some will say I''m not ambitious, but I don''t think a club our size can expect much more than establishing themselves in the Prem league (unless we are taken over by a billionaire)... just look at the likes of Stoke, Villa, West Brom etc... I think we need a few years of consolidation and stability - survive for a couple more seasons and then we should start dreaming of Europe :)[/quote]Finally some real sense on it all. People expect to much especially in regards to blowing all out transfer budget in one go as soon as the window opens. A tough season ahead and we need to be patient in reaching many of our goals and achieving the ambitions we have all set. The past few years have been fantastic and a constant up and up climb, but we can''t expect that to continue at the same pace.

I haven''t commented on too many of the hysterical threads on here demanding action in the trnsfer front.  This is a very sensible OP.  Alan Pardew is quoted only this morning saying that the clubs of players he has enquired after are being unrealistic in their valuations - I''m sure this is true of our enquiries as well.  It will be a game of chess for another week or so but once one player moves in the EPL / CCC then the flood gates will, if not flood open, start to flow.

Keep calm & OTBC

[quote user="Paulo_M"]... about the expectation levels of some of our fans! I think the unreasonably high expectations will only lead to disappointment this season (already seeing it this on this message board!).What expectations am I talking about? Here are a few examples, along with why I think some fans need to relax..."Why is it so quiet on the transfer front?"Well, first off, it hasn''t been quiet. We''ve signed 2 players... & resolved the issue with Holt. We''ve also sorted out new contracts for others. Also, CH hasn''t been in the job long & the Euro''s will have impacted things. We still have over a month until the window closes... plenty of time."Why aren''t we spending the cash? Southampton have spent £7m on Jay Rod etc."I find it weird how fans aren''t happy with 2 freebie signings, especially when transfer fees for British players are loopy at the mo''... would the same fans be happy if we spent say £3m each on those? Would they make them better signings? I would prefer to get a player on the cheap than spend £7m on someone unproven like Jay Rod."We need to strengthen in all areas".I see some expect us to sign players in almost every position. These fans seem to forget that we have 10 players on our books that weren''t here this time last year. That level of recruitment simply can''t continue.The main thing people seem to forget is that we had certain players were either long term injured or brought in during Jan... and as such we haven''t seen the current squad from the start of the season. For example, instead of Barnett/De Laet at CB, for the start of next season we have Ayala/Bennett... so already we have a stronger CB pairing compared to the beginning of last season.

"Whittaker is not good enough/not exciting signing"Really? The long term RB for Rangers isn''t good enough for us? Have you seen him play regularly? We should be delighted that we are in a position where we can sign these sorts of players.... especially on a freebie and in a position we really needed to strengthen.

"We should sign [unrealistic target]"I see suggestions like Defoe & Owen and it just makes me chuckle. Don''t get me wrong, I would love it if that calibre of player signed, but we shouldn''t expect it. Also they would be a total luxury - do you really think they''d be thinking "wow, Norwich - would love it play for them!". I would much prefer up and coming players that want to prove themselves.Also, our biggest issue with attracting "stars" is our wage budget... unlike other clubs, we are being run professionally and as such we are living in our means... signing someone like Owen would destroy our wage structure, which would either mean player unrest or needing to up every player wage... which in turn would mean we would be absolutely screwed if we got relegated. It would be a massive gamble.

"We should sign players that are better than what we have"I agree with this to an extent, but how do we know if a player is/is not better than what we have? Also, having 2 players of similar quality competing for the same position would mean you''d get the best out of them... if we had 2 players of vastly different qualities then there''s less desire for either to perform (i.e. the "star" player will always get picked, even if they can''t be bothered).

"Our strikers aren''t good enough"Nonsense... those thinking Morison is rubbish are fools... scoring 1 in 3 games is impressive in the prem league. We scored for fun last season and though the forward players are the "exciting" ones to sign, it''s simply not a priority in my eyes (unless we sell Vaughan, Jackson or Martin).--So what are my expectations? Next season will be tougher - it''s a stronger league (no club with Wolves/Blackburn like issues by the looks of it, Reading will splash the cash, QPR will be stronger), but we are already stronger than the start of last season. A great season for me will be the same again - safely mid table... though I would take 4th from bottom now.In terms of signings, we *need* a LB... and that''s about it (unless other players leave)... I think we could do with a really good defensive midfielder, someone as backup for Pilks/Bennett and someone with experience at the back (though maybe thats the new LB), but I don''t think we need it for day one... much better to save money for January incase we get long term injuries (i.e. if Holt & Morison got injured long term, then we would need a big striker... though we don''t *need* another one as it stands).Some will say I''m not ambitious, but I don''t think a club our size can expect much more than establishing themselves in the Prem league (unless we are taken over by a billionaire)... just look at the likes of Stoke, Villa, West Brom etc... I think we need a few years of consolidation and stability - survive for a couple more seasons and then we should start dreaming of Europe :)[/quote]Binner!

Have to agree with everything in the OP - there are plenty of fans who agree with you Paulo.  But...................for as many people there are that think like you do there are plenty who will never be happy with things.    

These "never happy" people make me wonder.    Do they live their whole lives like that - never happy with anything?   Or do they reserve their angst for football - use it as an outlet for their frustrations?    I have been amazed in the last three seasons at matches how fans have turned on some of our players.    Why would you do that?   Its our club - yet players - who are doing their best to compete in the top league  - are receiving abuse.  

I can understand that you might get frustrated if you were languishing at the bottom of the league and no signs of improving.   But, FFS, we are  in one of the most successful periods in the  history of our club, both on and off the field.    You''d think that this would have got through to the densest of fan.    I hope that this coming season we will see a more positive attitude from our fans.    The more people that react to the negative  cr*p the better.       So well said, Paulo, however, I think it will go over the heads of the people who this post is aimed at.......................................they are only happy when they are unhappy   [*-)]

Thanks for the positive comments... nice to see that there''s fans out there with a similar outlook!I think the point Son Ova Gunn made is an interesting one... that basically if we didn''t have fans with extreme expectations there would, in a way, be less pressure to succeed. Also, what Lake district said is spot on too... there are people in this world that want to complain & will never be happy. It reminds me of the miserable guys that sit behind me... they *still* think Ruddy is "no Fraiser Forster" :)As for lappinitup''s comment - lol, nope, not a binner! Far from it (season ticket holder for 20 years, even was a match day mascot back in the day!).

Totally agree- would also add I''m surprised some of our fans have not gotten over the obsession with ''name'' players. Last season we all thought QPR had done the best transfer business with players like Ferdinand, Wright-Phillips and Barton yet we finished miles comfortably above them.

"I find it weird how fans aren''t happy with 2 freebie signings"

Butterfield is not a ''freebie'', there will be compensation involved. Something I am sure that the club has factored into it''s transfer budget. Whether it is the coule of million or so Barnsley are asking or the McNally style offer coming from us will be decided later.

As to the rest, i shouldn''t be too concerned. We had all the whingers and whiners last season, as before. We also had the ''ever so umble'' who thought anything about 17th place was too good for the ''likes of us''. Curiously I don''t hear them squeaking so loudly about the prize money won by the team finishing far higher than their little ole Norwich mentality hoped for - or demanding that the club hand it back.

As far as I am concerned the club is in the healthiest position it has been in my many decades of following them. It has a very positive and inportantly competent board. Owners who have the club''s best interest at heart. A fanatstic and loyal fanbase (not on here so often) and a squad of well up for it players. The old warhorse Holt is back up front and we may have had to change manager but this new lad looks well up to it.

So as far as the moaners, the whinger and whiners and the forelock tugging grovellers go they can all far cough. If 2012/13 is half as good as the previous three seasons then it''s going to be another season when it is heaven to be a City fan ............................... and absolute hell for those who delight in our failure.

You don''t have to be a genius to spot who is who on here either

We really need a quality defensive midfielder - like the one Lambert has signed at Villa [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-42.gif[/img]

[quote user="Shyster"]We really need a quality defensive midfielder - like the one Lambert has signed at Villa [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-42.gif[/img][/quote]Do you mean the Egyptian lad? Is he actually any good? I speak as someone with little knowledge of the Dutch league.

at last a decent post, well said.

.even though i read this forum daily it is mostly negative comments.

I can''t wait for the new season to start Houghton will be a timely breath of fresh air.

I hold no fears of our current squad competing at the start of this season with the additions so far.

While not yet a established prem club we held our own last season give or take the odd lesson, if we do the same again this season fantastic.

This season clubs now know we will not be pushovers

Good post, hard for any reasonable person not to agree with most if not all of it, so no doubt this thread will slip down the rankings - indeed, it is already mid-table as I write....

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Shyster"]We really need a quality defensive midfielder - like the one Lambert has signed at Villa [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-42.gif[/img][/quote]Do you mean the Egyptian lad? Is he actually any good? I speak as someone with little knowledge of the Dutch league.[/quote]
He''s Dutch with Moroccan heritage not Egyptian and he''s alright, not amazing, earlier in his Feyenoord days he was linked with one of the larger Bundesliga Clubs but never materialised. Was sent on Loan to Dubai too.

A lot of good points on the opThere has been action at CR in regards to playing personnel coming in and signing extensions. Also with a new manager and his first meeitngs this week the action will be left till later in the transfer window. I do personally prefer earlier work so players can get settled but with all the managerial issues that was never going to happen.I again feel our budget will be a good amount (10-12million) and we will spend some money this summer, we will strengthen because we can then build a better bench and hence a better squad. If Ayala and RB were suspended or injured we would have to move in with possibly Ward and Barnett, so I think additions are right to be looked at.Star players are very unlikely it is those that wish to carve a career in the premiership, we are a stepping stone, there is no denying that. But we can get some great years out of young players and more than likely bring a transfer fee in for them. We have acquired SW who will offer that winning mentality as it was demanded at Rangers and the ability to close out games were we were not good last season. There are signings we can acquire with certain star player characterisitics but they will not be available in the UK due to the stupid prices and wages. But it is all about Hughton and his decisions.I do believe however that we do need players who are a bit better than what we have, it is evolution of the squad and certainly they will be competing for a spot, but a new central midfielder who has the hustle and bustle to compete with Bradley Johnson, strength, commanding presence, great organiser and who has a great defensive awareness as many of our midfielders are attack based. I have mentioned Stuart Holden many times, but it is that type of player I feel we can look to or Tiote styled player. Defender, CD would possibly be one of our starters or at least competing with RB and Ayala. A new striker does need to come in, we need freshness upfront Morison and Holt will score goals... but we need a striker who does not need a run of 10 games to find a goal that is a quarter of the season. We need to improve on our first 11 each summer (if that is one addition not an issue), which in turn improves our bench and squad as a whole. Steve Redgrave once said ''you are only as strong as your weakest team member'' that is totally correct and upgrades should and can happen however long it may take.My expectation is that we are in the bottom 6 for the whole season, we are up against clubs on the rise (at the lower half of the prem.) compared to last year. We will perform well but the start of the season as always is critical, under Lambert we steadily picked up points and if we can do that we will stay up, but that is very rare when you are a under-funded club in the top flight. We must take our chances against clubs when they are on a downwards spiral (back to back games against Bolton and Sunderland at the start of the season) and when injuries have hit teams (Newcastle at home). This is going to be an incredibly hard season, I can''t wait but I would not want us to be thinking we can move a bit more in Janaury in the transfer window to get key players. If the players are available now then of course we will move for them, but we can not be waiting for the January transfer window to put us on track. We have seen that before and what happened at Carrow Road.You can''t allow the first 19-20 games of the season to just go away before you strengthen key areas. We cannot rish half a season or even the first 5 games without key additions. Each game is vital and each mini run of 4 games is again vital to be picking up points, as that is a tenth of the season. You have to get it right pretty much all the time and for a minnow in the premier league that is very very hard.

I think the OP was very sensible and I agree with most of it. There is no denying though that some quality has to come in at LB and Defensive midfield. It''s not gonna be easy this season as a lot of clubs around us are stronger...can''t see a Wolves among them... I don''t like the negativity on here either...but I understand fans being anxious for signings at this time...the pre-season.