Sign in to follow this  
pete_norw

Well we do it again, who said we don''t need extra seats? 35.000 is a must and we would have no problems filling it

yes we would..... I reckon we could sell max 24k season tickets, then against man utd/liverpool etc we would probs sell 30-32k, but for the other games, Wigan etc we wouldn''t break 30k.... I got extra tickets the day before 3 or 4 games last season..

What that story from the club doesn''t say is what the renewal figure was and so how many people from the waiting list were needed to make up the shortfall, or what is the size of the waiting list now.

I''m still on the waiting list, no idea what number, was around 1800 or so when signed up few months ago.

The stadium needs to be expanded, when is the more difficult question and what stand, but without expansion and a constant rise in wages and running costs as we maintain ourselves as a prem team, we will not be able to be self-sufficient.

I don''t get how anyone can be against the expansion idea, i know the downsides but, in the long term, if we want to compete in the prem we are going to need a larger stadium.

The longer we stay in the Premier League the more glory hunters we will attract. Stadium expansion is a must.

Whilst I think Norwich could fill a 35,000 seater stadium for quite a few games this season, what happens in a couple of seasons when Norwich aren''t on a upward bounce. The casual fans will soon start to tire of Norwich coming in 17th to 10th and the allure of Man U, Man City et al will start to dampen after a couple of seasons.

Norwich are on the crest of a wave at the moment - the level of interest they have for tickets won''t maintain for ever.

[quote user="H4H"]

yes we would..... I reckon we could sell max 24k season tickets, then against man utd/liverpool etc we would probs sell 30-32k, but for the other games, Wigan etc we wouldn''t break 30k.... I got extra tickets the day before 3 or 4 games last season..

[/quote]

It depends upon ticket prices. Lots of people say to me that they would go to games if the price was reduced.I think that a lot more local people have become interested in the club due to local pubs showing the games live on TV.

Could also say that the games being shown live in the pubs are stopping people from going games. As why go to the game when it''s being show in a pub for free?

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="H4H"]

[/quote]

It depends upon ticket prices. Lots of people say to me that they would go to games if the price was reduced.

I think that a lot more local people have become interested in the club due to local pubs showing the games live on TV.

[/quote]

Ticket prices are high because there are not enough seats, all non-season ticket seats are sold out in 30-40 mins. Any tickets getting release after the intial are from season ticket holders and marketing leftovers. More seats are needed so that prices can be reduced.

[quote user="Ben"]Could also say that the games being shown live in the pubs are stopping people from going games. As why go to the game when it''s being show in a pub for free?[/quote]

Home games and season tickets are selling out for Home sections so the pub TV and live internet coverage hasn''t had a negative impact.The TV coverage in pubs and on the internet acts as a great advert for the club and so a huge number of local people are developing an affinity towards the club. This means that they purchase club merchandise for the first time and are more likely to want to go to games in the future. It also enables people that can''t afford to go to games to still feel part of the club, and so are more likely to start going again once their finances improve.

[quote user="Ben"]Could also say that the games being shown live in the pubs are stopping people from going games. As why go to the game when it''s being show in a pub for free?[/quote]

It is the allure of seeing something firsthand, there will always be ''armchair fans'' but those whose curiousity about Norwich has been aroused by watching games in the pub will want to try and watch some live games and sample the experience firsthand.

From my point of view, I would increase stadium capacity gradually over time, but also reduce ticket prices. The reason being is that gate receipts are a small proportion of income now compared to TV (even more so in 2013/14) and in Germany where tickets are relatively cheap studies have indicated fans will spend MORE money overall because they buy more catering goods and merchandise. 

I wasn''t a glory hunter while I was away in Germany for work. I''ve been a Canaries fan all my life. But I wanted to come over and watch a game every month or two. People in this position just couldn''t get in... We need a 35k stadium, ''cause there are City fans who can''t apply for a season ticket for various reasons , like work, family etc... Does this mean they''re glory hunters...not at all

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]What that story from the club doesn''t say is what the renewal figure was and so how many people from the waiting list were needed to make up the shortfall, or what is the size of the waiting list now.[/quote]

With all due respect what the hell does that matter,? the club have sold 22.000 season tickets, I re-newed mine so did many others i know have, the point is we have 22.000 season tickets sold meaning a season of full houses yet again, what difference does it make if Tom Dick and Harry on the waiting list managed to get a ticket, fair play to those sitting on the waiting list.  

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Whilst I think Norwich could fill a 35,000 seater stadium for quite a few games this season, what happens in a couple of seasons when Norwich aren''t on a upward bounce. The casual fans will soon start to tire of Norwich coming in 17th to 10th and the allure of Man U, Man City et al will start to dampen after a couple of seasons.

Norwich are on the crest of a wave at the moment - the level of interest they have for tickets won''t maintain for ever.

[/quote]

I can only say that we were getting 25.800 in League 1. and 26 800 in the championship and the same last season. we will always sell tickets, if the visiting fans drop off, great more for us

Spot on

Whilst it would be great if every ''fan'' who wanted to attend could the cost would be too high. On current figures the extr 8000 seats would generate around £1.5m in ticket income. However current figures are based on there being a scarcity of tickets so having an upward effect on price. Remove that scarcity and prices would fall.

Not only would there have to be factored in the loss of revenue from closing one stand whilst the working is ongoing but the thorny question of where to put those fans during that work.

It should be remembered that the South Stand was demolished and rebuilt to comply with the need for a safety certificate NOT to meet increased demand.

The club can easily (and slowly is) meeting increased demand by adjusting the price. That is virtually cost free and can be moved about at the touch of a keyboard - unlike 4000 fans and £20m worth off football stand.

ps hasn''t we had this debate with the ''flat earth society'' numerous times before ?

I''m sure we could fill a bigger stadium, even in the future when the apparent buzz drops - it''s just a case of expanding in the right manner. A new tier would be nice but it''s a case of having the right amount of seats in relation to the demand - and obviously cost is an issue. I guess the club know what the demand is and how many seats would be appropriate and what they can afford. I''m sure there will be more expansion coming soon enough if we keep our place in the Prem.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]What that story from the club doesn''t say is what the renewal figure was and so how many people from the waiting list were needed to make up the shortfall, or what is the size of the waiting list now.[/quote]

With all due respect what the hell does that matter,? the club have sold 22.000 season tickets, I re-newed mine so did many others i know have, the point is we have 22.000 season tickets sold meaning a season of full houses yet again, what difference does it make if Tom Dick and Harry on the waiting list managed to get a ticket, fair play to those sitting on the waiting list.  

[/quote]

Because you started this thread with:

Well we do it again, who said we don''t need extra seats? 35.000 is a must and we would have no problems filling it.

Which may be true, but without knowing what the renewal figure was and what the waiting list now stands at you can''t say what our potential level of support is now, and what the trend is. My understanding is that for last season we sold 22,000 season tickets and had a waiting list of around 1,700. We know from the club''s statement that not everyone renewed and that the gaps were filled from the waiting list. Supposing now, for the sake of argument, the waiting is down to 1,000. That would hardly suggests an upward trend of support (the opposite in fact) and yet you are claiming there are 8,000 extra Norwich fans out there who would attend if the space was available. That is why it matters what the renewal figure and the waiting list figure are.

What on earth has happened to the Clubs suggestion about putting in temporary seats in front of the hotel which would at least add an additional few hundred seats ?

The club certainly does not keep fans very well informed like it use too although with a continued large hardcore fan base including season tickets fans and non season ticket fans I don''t suppose there is the need for the club to bother too much.

Another successful season (staying up !) and I think we will see proposals/plans for a new City Stand to be built the season after that providing we remain in the Premier League.

1. How much extra revenue will an extra new stand (20% increase) generate ?

2. How much will it cost to build ?

3. Where will the ''displaced'' fans sit while the new stand is being built ?

Option 1: Get the council to fund a new stadium (as has happened at Swansea), get the UEA to lease teaching space at the new stadium (as is planned in Bristol), and sell CR. That would mean a vast sum of new money towards the team.Option 2: Expand CR which would cost £20m and reduce income and attendances whist the work was being done. This would probably mean less money towards the team.Option 3: Leave things as they are and accept that lots of local people won''t have the opportunity to support their local team.

"Option 2: Expand CR which would cost £20m and reduce income and attendances whist the work was being done. This would probably mean less money towards the team"

Now explain how much extra revenue this would generate. And can we presume that a 20% increase in seats will roughly generate a 20% increase in revenue ?

And tells us where the ''displaced'' seasn ticket holders will go, as there are certainly not enough casual seats to be reclaimed

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Option 1: Get the council to fund a new stadium (as has happened at Swansea), get the UEA to lease teaching space at the new stadium (as is planned in Bristol), and sell CR. That would mean a vast sum of new money towards the team.

Option 2: Expand CR which would cost £20m and reduce income and attendances whist the work was being done. This would probably mean less money towards the team.

Option 3: Leave things as they are and accept that lots of local people won''t have the opportunity to support their local team.[/quote]

Why would the council fund Norwich''s new stadium? During the period of the largest spending cuts in the public sector ever? And when Norwich City have an annual income in the 10s of millions?

"Sorry all you people in children services, planning, housing etc we are going to have to lay you off to build a nice new stadium for a Premier League football club, and what''s more, when they sell thier old stadium for development, we''ll just let them keep all the cash for that"

"I have a question.With the current 22,000 season ticket holders we have, how many seats will we have for "casual fans" on a game by game basis?"

Roughly

27,000 seats

22,000 season tickets

3,000 away fans

that''s errr ..................... 2,000 casual tickets

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Option 1: Get the council to fund a new stadium (as has happened at Swansea), get the UEA to lease teaching space at the new stadium (as is planned in Bristol), and sell CR. That would mean a vast sum of new money towards the team.Option 2: Expand CR which would cost £20m and reduce income and attendances whist the work was being done. This would probably mean less money towards the team.Option 3: Leave things as they are and accept that lots of local people won''t have the opportunity to support their local team.[/quote]

Why would the council fund Norwich''s new stadium? During the period of the largest spending cuts in the public sector ever? And when Norwich City have an annual income in the 10s of millions?

"Sorry all you people in children services, planning, housing etc we are going to have to lay you off to build a nice new stadium for a Premier League football club, and what''s more, when they sell thier old stadium for development, we''ll just let them keep all the cash for that"

[/quote]Swansea Council raised the money for a new stadium by allowing development on adjacent land. Therefore there was no cost to local council tax payers. Norfolk and Norwich councils are looking to build enormous new developments in the Norwich area. The NDR will also open up large amounts of land for development. Norfolk Council have just bought the runway at Coltishall for millions of pounds. Perhaps they might even consider moving Norwich airport to Coltishall (which has a bigger runway), and then redevelop the Norwich airport site?I would hope that NCFC are in touch with the local councils to see what the future possibilities are.The success of NCFC is incredibly important to help raise the profile of Norfolk as there isn''t a professional rugby or cricket club in the county.

That is not true about no cost. The proceeds of the land sale could have been used elsewhere withing the council, therefore the council (taxpayers) paid for the stadium.

The Liberty stadium looses money and is over a half million in debt despite Swansea being in the Premier League and having sellout crowds.

It is further subsidised by only paying the council a peppercorn rent.

You appear obsessed with City moving out of Carrow Road, despite both Swansea and Bristol Rovers HAVING to move as their grounds were falling apart, something that is far from happening at Carrow Road.

Maybe we could hear you proposals for Norwich City station to be moved out to the University ground so as to allow greater expansion ... more cafes, car parking, facilities. People could be transport by bus to the station from the new station. Built the new station near to the airport and travellers could catch a plane then simply hop on a bus to take them to the old station to commute to whereever they want to go.

This fantastic new arrangement would certainly "help raise the profile of Norfolk " as like Cornwall and Devon  "there isn''t a professional rugby or cricket club in the county" so no one has heard of us.

Do you come from Barking by any chance (or even planet earth come to that) ?

I assume you know the answer to that question

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Swansea Council raised the money for a new stadium by allowing development on adjacent land. Therefore there was no cost to local council tax payers.[/quote]

"Stadium Information.......

Swansea Council has spent 27 million pound on the world-class Liberty Stadium which will put Swansea at the forefront of sport in Wales, and provide a venue of which Swansea can be proud."

http://stadiums.football.co.uk/Championship/Liberty-Stadium.htm

All this without mentioning signing over for free, many acres of saleable land (the stadium alone stands on 6.5 acres).

And there''s more.....

"The £44.8 million Liberty Stadium was largely funded by Swansea Council with the promise of it delivering economic, social and financial benefits and providing a new home for Swansea City FC (The Swans) and South West Wales Rugby Ltd (the Ospreys).

The venue opened in 2005 but SSMC, the stadium management company (a joint venture set up between the clubs and the council), has failed according to an auditors report to pay any rent to the Council to date.

Just before the stadium was completed the Council had to provide a £2 Million loan to ensure that the stadium could be fitted out.

The management company was unable to pay off the loan and the Council secured title of the stadium in order to write-off the money in 2006. There is an entry in the 2010 accounts showing a £2.3 Million transfer of assets to the Council to pay off a loan and it’s unclear whether this is an additional loan.

Under the terms of the lease the management company was expected to make provision for maintenance, which it failed to do.

An investigation in July 2010 discovered a shortfall in the £800,000 repairs & maintenance fund.

The Council leased the stadium to SSMC under a 50 year lease.

The terms of the lease were such that rent is payable at effectively 30% of any distribution of profit by SSMC.

SSMC is in “a cumulative loss position” and no profits have ever been distributed.

The revenues received by SSMC are based upon a varied percentage of the match gate receipts, dependent upon the level of attendance.

The report, published in January 2011 by PWC on behalf of the Welsh Audit Office concluded “The financial position of SSMC remains precarious and the current revenue sharing arrangements are considered unsustainable.”

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/9136910.Stadium__Council_warned_over_Swansea_comparison/

Are you still sure there was "no cost to  to local council tax payers" Tom?

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Option 1: Get the council to fund a new stadium (as has happened at Swansea), get the UEA to lease teaching space at the new stadium (as is planned in Bristol), and sell CR. That would mean a vast sum of new money towards the team.[/quote]YawnIt''s never going to happen.