Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

New Forest Manager is...........................

Shocking decision. Former Doncaster manager, who just took over as Crawley manager in May. The new owners have promised him 40 million to secure promotion with-in 3 years.

I can''t imagine there''s many Forest fans happy with his appointment.

So within 24 hours of taking over the new owners sack Steve Cotterill and replace him the following week with.............Sean O''Driscoll wow i bet the Forest fans are already tasting the glory days ahead.[:(]

Is it such a bad choice? O''Driscoll has a decent managerial record, and supposedly did well at Forest as a coach. The new owners have probably been sensible in not going for a has-been big name, which certainly would also have been ridiculed here.

Good managerial record. Knows the championship and lower leagues very well. Likes to pass the ball and play in an attractive style. Worked with the Forest players last season so already knows them and doest need to assess the squad really. Seems pretty sensible to me.

Sensible, but probably not the coup of a manager people were expecting.

Mind you, who had heard of Paul Lambert before he came here?

I have a few Forest fan friends. They aren''t too happy originally considering what''s gone on there over the past few months, but as long as the money is spent on the right things they think they''ll be alright. Underwhelmed though.

Truely shocking choice! I mean what sort of club would sack a manager say into the first gams of the season and replace the manager with a little heard of manager, who had walked out on his last three clubs? They have no chance, it should have been a high profile manager!

Or have the owners learned from other clubs that high profile managers bring their own baggage and followed the Norwich model!

I think it a refershing change and one which will benefit the club, we will see, but not the worst choice, I''m sure most Forrest fans are happier with this choice than McCarthy!

I have posted already on this messageboard, the job was Mick McCarthy''s but he changed his mind and walked away.

Glen Hoddle was offered it & said no.

O''Driscoll is 3rd choice.

3rd choice, you mean like Lambert at Villa?

To be honest how do we really know, it''s all press speculation!

The bottom line is he will be given a budget and time to see if he is up to the job!

[quote user="The Chirp"]He''s a good manager - one that if we were in the champ, I''d be very happy if we appointed him.[/quote]I''d agree with that. Wasn''t he linked to us at one point?

[quote user="Indy"]

Truely shocking choice! I mean what sort of club would sack a manager say into the first gams of the season and replace the manager with a little heard of manager, who had walked out on his last three clubs? They have no chance, it should have been a high profile manager!

Or have the owners learned from other clubs that high profile managers bring their own baggage and followed the Norwich model!

I think it a refershing change and one which will benefit the club, we will see, but not the worst choice, I''m sure most Forrest fans are happier with this choice than McCarthy!

[/quote]

Far to much sense in that comment.

The problem Indy is that a few posters "want" them to fail so it fits their model and will look for ways to find fault.

Finding new finance for a club MUST always be wrong,in some eyes.

If I remember correctly, Camuldon who was a journalist and very active on here at the time always claimed that O''Driscoll was McNally''s first choice and Lambert only came because O''Driscoll wasn''t moving.   Certainly, back then he was very highly regarded because he had an over-pwerforming Doncaster playing some very nice football

Without doubt a quality manager, issue will be whether he can withstand the pressure as there will be an expectancy to at least hit the playoffs in his first season.

Why sack Cotterill in the first place ? Was his lower league record much unlike that of O''Driscoll ? Yes he appears to be a decent man but the new owners were trumpeting about appointing an "iconic" manager a few days ago. Hoddle had been mentioned and McCarthy turned them down or maybe it was all press invention.

This craze amongst some to grab money AT ANY COST no matter who from and based mainly on sweeping statements about bold plans for the future has ended in tears far too many times up and down the country at numerous clubs.At this moment in time what the heck have Rangers and Portsmouth got to look forward to in 2012/13 and they have had lovely rich investors.Trouble is nobody bothered to look into their backgrounds before grabbing some cash.Birmingham have a man charged with money laundering but hey why worry about such a small matter when he had money?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Why sack Cotterill in the first place ? Was his lower league record much unlike that of O''Driscoll ? Yes he appears to be a decent man but the new owners were trumpeting about appointing an "iconic" manager a few days ago. Hoddle had been mentioned and McCarthy turned them down or maybe it was all press invention.

This craze amongst some to grab money AT ANY COST no matter who from and based mainly on sweeping statements about bold plans for the future has ended in tears far too many times up and down the country at numerous clubs.At this moment in time what the heck have Rangers and Portsmouth got to look forward to in 2012/13 and they have had lovely rich investors.Trouble is nobody bothered to look into their backgrounds before grabbing some cash.Birmingham have a man charged with money laundering but hey why worry about such a small matter when he had money?

[/quote]

Fully agree that "buyers" should be VERY closely looked at.

BUT if a success or two happens then just perhaps it might encourage a few others, with spare cash, to come forward.

Gloating over prospective failure BEFORE it happens........Forrest might come good, QPR are not looking that bad and there ARE others not doing badly. Highlighting the failures is a good cautionary step but don''t tar every proposed investor with the same sweeping brush.

Surely what we all want is for financing football to be succesfull so EVERY club can join the party, not just a lucky few.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

BUT if a success or two happens then just perhaps it might encourage a few others, with spare cash, to come forward.

Gloating over prospective failure BEFORE it happens........Forrest might come good, QPR are not looking that bad and there ARE others not doing badly. Highlighting the failures is a good cautionary step but don''t tar every proposed investor with the same sweeping brush.

Surely what we all want is for financing football to be succesfull so EVERY club can join the party, not just a lucky few.

[/quote]

But surely if EVERY club joins the party as you put it and are awash with cash rich investors/owners many will fail and go the way of the likes of say Portsmouth as success for these lovely rich clubs is counted only in trophies or a Champions League place.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed. Lerner at Villa and Berylson at Millwall seem on balance to have been good things, and also the Southampton takeover. A sceptical attitude is certainly preferable to what used to be common here, which was a strident desire to take any investment no matter what its provenance. Even if the provenance was murky at best and invisible at worst. But not all potential investors are crooks or idiots, and the hard fact is that sooner or later we will have to have new owners.

I think what we should all really want is for football to be financially sound. The sugar-daddies at the likes of Man C and Chelsea throw money round like confetti, inflating player values and wages for the rest as the effect of "money no object" operations cascades down. Clubs with "ambition" spend beyond their means in a futile attempt to keep up with the Jones'', one poor season and the very future of the club is in the balance. The way things are going we might see ourselves as being fortunate to have what we''ve got in the not too distant future, who will be the English Rangers?

[quote user="The Butler"]

Finding new finance for a club MUST always be wrong,in some eyes.

[/quote]

No different Butler than in some eyes certain posters telling us that investment has been blocked at NCFC.No different at all and i would like a £ for every time i have read that on here but it is never backed up with any evidence.

The point made by TIL 1010 is a valid one, it is not about finding finance being wrong, it is about common sense saying that there are a finite number of clubs and they cannot all be succesful at the same time, ergo some are going to lose their wealthy backers, because these people want success and they want it quickly.......