Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

5 Worst Norwich Managers

We have probably got the same 5 ,but from worst to only slightly better mine would be ROEDER     GRANT     MEGSON     HAMILTON    and with deepest regret GUNN .How about you ????

Does it include caretaker managers?

Worse manager has to be Roeder shortly followed by equally inept duo of Grant and Hamilton, I would then sling Duffy in there too - I think Deehan was probably worse than Megson, especially when you look at his record after us.

I think up until Chase leaving our issue had not been good managers, Stringer and Brown were both good managers - and Walker proved to be first time round as well. It was more to do with having limited funds and pulling something together on a shoe-string.

[quote user="stoke canary"]We have probably got the same 5 ,but from worst to only slightly better mine would be ROEDER     GRANT     MEGSON     HAMILTON    and with deepest regret GUNN .How about you ????[/quote]

Apart from the inclusion of Gunn the other four are the obvious four candidates and in my opinion, Roeder takes the prize for the very worst manager not least for the terrible legacy, in all respects, he handed over to the next manager who of course happened to be Gunn. Gunn never had the opportunity to take the club forward, he was fire fighting from the moment he took over but by his own estimation Lambert inherited a very good squad including, of course, Grant Holt.

In order from worst to least worst:MegsonHamiltonRoederGunnyDixieI like both Gunny and Dixie but their results just weren''t there although Dixie came in at a tough point as did Gunn.Grant, Duffy and Rioch would also be up there along with O''Neill for me as I detest how he threw his teddy out of the pram over Windass and just walked...

I like these types of thread, just a bit of fun and gets you thinking a bit. Excluding caretakers.....

1. Bryan Gunn  (despite being an absolute legend as a player and a great servant to the club in his other roles) - Took us down and didnt have a clue, unfortunately wins the Worst Norwich Manager comfortably, which is very sad.

2. Peter Grant - started the rot, made horrendous signings and exhausted the kitty making it almost impossible for anyone to succeed him - clueless!

3. Bryan Hamilton -I can actually remember a few very decent performances during his tenure,but guess that was luck rather than judgment, really did sign some dross -a clown who must have been an inplant from Poorman Road!

4. Gary Megson - Made a hash of a great opportunity, was out of his depth at the time, but has actually proved himself since in my view

5. Glen Roeder - was dealt a poor hand all round, particularly with having to adopt the ridiculous loan policy due to PG''s extravagence in the transfer market,and the loss of his right hand man was a major blow.... but, despite this I expected more from him and he let us down mainly by being arrogant and the way he handled Hucks which turned our over sensitive fans against him.

Decent shout there Dubai Mark and see your reasons, however I think the order is alittle out because Grant redeems a few brownie points for being man enough to acknowledge things were not working and he was out of his depth. He could of hung on longer instead. Gunn also redeems a few brownie points for Holt. ok it wasnt the biggest gamble a manager has ever made but he still brought him to the club along with some others who we all thought would rip up division 3. yes he was a bad manager but the players let him down too. Therefore I would go: worst- Hamilton (some of his signings still give me nightmares now) Rodent (saved from worst due to inital impact made on results), Grant, Gunn, Megson.

My order with worst at the top

1. Roeder

2. Hamilton

3. Megson

4. Rioch

5. Grant

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

I like these types of thread, just a bit of fun and gets you thinking a bit. Excluding caretakers.....

1. Bryan Gunn  (despite being an absolute legend as a player and a great servant to the club in his other roles) - Took us down and didnt have a clue, unfortunately wins the Worst Norwich Manager comfortably, which is very sad.

2. Peter Grant - started the rot, made horrendous signings and exhausted the kitty making it almost impossible for anyone to succeed him - clueless!

3. Bryan Hamilton -I can actually remember a few very decent performances during his tenure,but guess that was luck rather than judgment, really did sign some dross -a clown who must have been an inplant from Poorman Road!

4. Gary Megson - Made a hash of a great opportunity, was out of his depth at the time, but has actually proved himself since in my view

5. Glen Roeder - was dealt a poor hand all round, particularly with having to adopt the ridiculous loan policy due to PG''s extravagence in the transfer market,and the loss of his right hand man was a major blow.... but, despite this I expected more from him and he let us down mainly by being arrogant and the way he handled Hucks which turned our over sensitive fans against him.

[/quote]

I have just read three different posts by you "Dubai Mark" ...I  am convinced you have no idea about NCFC..it was your analysis of Rodent that finally confirmed it .

[quote user="whoareyou"]Neil Doomcaster. Remind me how many of the most mentioned worst managers above were his appointments?[/quote]

None. All the managers named were appointed by Chase or Smith and Jones.

[quote user="barclay seats 4849 "][quote user="Dubai Mark"]

[/quote]

I have just read three different posts by you "Dubai Mark" ...I  am convinced you have no idea about NCFC..it was your analysis of Rodent that finally confirmed it .

[/quote]

I think Dubai''s analysis is pretty good (although I don''t agree with all of it) because he has tried to put sentiment aside. It defies logic to say that Roeder, who took over when we were rock bottom of the league and saved us from relegation, was a worse manager than Gunn. Who too over when we were above the relegation zone and took us down, and showed no aptitude for the job in the process.

PC - I would say Roeder was worse for NCFC than Gunn when other factors other than win/loss or relegations are taken into account, which i think you need to do when deciding who was worse. When you consider the finacial health of the club at the time, the players inherited and passed on, quality of signings, current expectations and loads of other things the decision becomes alot more difficult. Im still of the opinion that had Gunn was both a bad manager and an unlucky one too in that the team should of done better than they did. How many truely bad decisions did Gunn make which at the time we all knew were bad, whereas every man and his dog knew that releasing Huckerby when he had 2 maybe 3 seasons left in him was woefull.

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

PC - I would say Roeder was worse for NCFC than Gunn when other factors other than win/loss or relegations are taken into account, which i think you need to do when deciding who was worse. When you consider the finacial health of the club at the time, the players inherited and passed on, quality of signings, current expectations and loads of other things the decision becomes alot more difficult. Im still of the opinion that had Gunn was both a bad manager and an unlucky one too in that the team should of done better than they did. How many truely bad decisions did Gunn make which at the time we all knew were bad, whereas every man and his dog knew that releasing Huckerby when he had 2 maybe 3 seasons left in him was woefull.

[/quote]

SOG, as you know I respect your opinion. But you haven''t changed mine!  For what it is worth, I do think there was a cumulative process here, that dealt all the post-Worthignton managers a bad hand, to a greater or lesser extent. If there are villains here  it is Smith and Jones for keeping Worthington on into that second season back in the Championship. That, with the sacking in October, ushered in an era of short-termism, which only ended with the choice of Lambert.

That said, the Grant transfer policy was a wasteful disaster which dealt Roeder a dreadful hand. I remember him saying that virtually none of the players he inherited from Grant stayed in the Championship. They all either went down a division, or two, or into non-league football, or Scotland, or back to minor leagues on the continent.

He coped with that in the first season admirably, with necessary loans, but the flaws in that - and in Roeder - showed in the second season.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="whoareyou"]Neil Doomcaster. Remind me how many of the most mentioned worst managers above were his appointments?[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry Neil but you are wrong!!!

[quote user="whoareyou"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote] Sorry Neil but you are wrong!!![/quote]

I think I''m right but I don''t really have time to check, having my hands full at the moment with this Rangers nonsense...[;)]

Having started posting on this board recently after many years of simply reading it on a regular basis, I wondered how long it would take for a comment like the one from barclay seats 48/49 or, what I thought more likely, for me to be corrected on my grammar or spelling.

I need not have wondered for long as it has happened very quickly, and now I have to ask...... just who are you to say I have no idea about NCFC? What exactly are your credentials? Did I miss your tenure as Norwich City Manager?    Am I not just expressing my views and opinions? I hope I do it in a relatively balanced way, particularly considering that I really do see most things through yellow & green specs.

For the record, and very briefly,my credentials. I have supported our great club for something like 45 years, I like many on this board remember Lol Morgan (just) and was proud to stand on the terraces when we first entered the First Division, just one of many memorable occasions supporting NCFC that I have attended. Prior to becoming an ex-pat here in Dubai some eight years ago I was a regular, rarely missed a match at home, attended as many away games as I could and was a season ticket holder for something like 25 years. When I come back to Norwich I break my neck to get a ticket for whatever game City are playing and thankfully can now watch every game home and away on the TV over here, which I did last season, other than the couple of games I attended.

I acknowledge that my views on Roeder are perhaps not so extreme as the majority, I just remember that we were actually clear of relegation when he left, but hey that''s the way things go sometimes. But he is still in my Worst 5 selection and I guess could easily exchange places with any of those above him other than Gunny (which really does hurt me to say) who really did mess up gloriously, even acknowledging his signing of the great Grant Holt.  

It has come as a bit of a shock to be accused that I have no idea about NCFC, but I guess on this board I should have expected it and should expect it to be said again in the future. Oh, I personally would never say the same about any other poster on this board.....that''s just for the record!  

Hamilton - unbelievably bad appointmentGrant - unbelievably bad appointmentRoeder - took all the joy out of watching NCFCGunn - Not so much for relegation, but for Colchester (H) and the unfit overweight dross on the pitch that day (who would later prove what they could do under a good boss)And statistically, Jim Duffy - p3 l3, 0% win record.  Though Megson is a better overall choice.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]For us older posters we remember Lol Morgan.[/quote]Oh yes we do...never has a manager instigated so many cushions being thrown from the mainstand!

[quote user="nolegs"][quote user="TIL 1010"]For us older posters we remember Lol Morgan.[/quote]Oh yes we do...never has a manager instigated so many cushions being thrown from the mainstand![/quote]Before my time.  That bad?  Did you "LOL" at the team''s performances?His record is P127, W45 D47 L35.  In the era of 2 points for a win, when draws were arguably more useful, is that such a bad record?Or did his brand of football inspire Tony Pulis?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nolegs"][quote user="TIL 1010"]For us older posters we remember Lol Morgan.[/quote]

Oh yes we do...never has a manager instigated so many cushions being thrown from the mainstand!
[/quote]

Before my time.  That bad?  Did you "LOL" at the team''s performances?

His record is P127, W45 D47 L35.  In the era of 2 points for a win, when draws were arguably more useful, is that such a bad record?

Or did his brand of football inspire Tony Pulis?

[/quote]

The thing with Morgan was that he was heralded by the club as a really talented, modern-thinking manager, and he didn''t quite live up to that. And although we had  reputation as a selling club at that time (Ron Davies, just after Morgan took over, for example) he was given a fair bit to spend, and some of his purchases just didn''t work out. The club seemed to under-achieve under him (hence the cushions, propelled by frustration) and it was significant that Saunders took over and we got to the top flight pretty soon. The potential had been there all along.

John Deehan was our worst manager, at least in my time. We went from a good/very god Premiership team to relegated in a season and a half, sure he wasn''t helped by things off the pitch but his record 23.6% win percentage is considerably worse than Roeder''s 31.65% and in fact its a lot worse than Gunn''s 28.57%!

So for me its:

1.Deehan

2. Grant

3. Roeder

4. Megsion

5. Hamilton

Roeder Roeder Roeder Roeder Roeder

He was on mega bucks but anyone and I mean anyone, above the age of 14 could have done a better job - total failure in every respect - An injunction should be taken out to arrest him on the spot, should he even look at a football!

Roeder, whilst guilty of purchasing some awful players (his loan policy whereby he seemed convinced garnering a player on loan from the Premier League meant we had acquired someone of Premier League standard was strikingly naive), had an intriguing focus on technical talent that we''d been crying for during Grants tenure, and lost during Gunn''s. Sometimes with varying degrees of success (Hoolahan, Bell, Clingan, Kennedy, Taylor, Gow, Evans, Grounds, Bertrand, Lupoli, Lita), sometimes not so (Bell, Rigters, Sibierski, Velasco, Leijer, Omozusi, Mooney, Henry). He was also never, during a year and a half spell, never guilty of dropping us in the relegation zone, only ever getting us out of it.Regardless of his rather unfortunate cold nature, and the way he dealt with the Huckerby situation (one for which i will never forgive him, and further despise him for), persistence with the loan market, and occasional insistence to play Darel Russell up front, his managerial abilities surpassed many of those we have succumbed to over the past decade or so.Gunn had no idea. Straight out, and if anyone is responsible for Holt it was Deehan. He is THE absolute worst manager. His conviction that he could have emulated Lambert in the season of his departure left a sickening feeling when his time here was ridden with nothing but failure. He''s responsible for the lowest position this club had fallen in the league for half a century and our worst ''home'' defeat in our history to the rivals we can quite rightly look down upon in a competitive sense; all in two consecutive competitive games. Not to mention the remarkable losing sequence i doubt even Grant could have sufferred, let alone Roeder, prior to relegation. Of course Hoolahan''s injury played a part in that (to think some could accuse Roeder of relegation, when indeed he could concievably of saved us in consecutive seasons were it not for a niggling injury), but there is no excuse for 5 losses in the 6 final games of the season when you''re teatering so close to relegation. One needs to be held accountable for that kind of form.

Well what do you all make of Tom Parker?

First ever promotion to the 2nd tier in the 1930s.

And then in his second spell he led us to the bottom of the Football League ladder in the 1950s!

Amongst the best of our managers or the worst? [^o)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Well what do you all make of Tom Parker?

First ever promotion to the 2nd tier in the 1930s.

And then in his second spell he led us to the bottom of the Football League ladder in the 1950s!

Amongst the best of our managers or the worst? [^o)]

OTBC

[/quote]He turned Elvis Presley around though, credit for that.

Win rate stats.  Oh dear Gary Megson! I think Bryan Hamilton may be getting off lightly in this thread.

Name  Nationality  M  W  D  L  Win % 
Gary Megson   England  32 5 10 17 15.6
Charles O''Hagan   England  21 4 9 8 19
John Deehan   England  58 13 22 23 22.4
Cyril Spiers   England  65 15 12 38 23.1
Albert Gosnell   England  223 59 79 95 26.5
Bryan Hamilton   Northern Ireland  35 10 10 15 28.6
Bryan Gunn  Scotland  21 6 5 10 28.6
Cecil Potter   England  101 30 26 45 29.7
Jimmy Jewell   England  20 6 4 10 30
James McEwen   Scotland  43 13 10 20 30.2
Glenn Roeder   England  65 20 15 30 30.8

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nolegs"][quote user="TIL 1010"]For us older posters we remember Lol Morgan.[/quote]Oh yes we do...never has a manager instigated so many cushions being thrown from the mainstand![/quote]Before my time.  That bad?  Did you "LOL" at the team''s performances?His record is P127, W45 D47 L35.  In the era of 2 points for a win, when draws were arguably more useful, is that such a bad record?Or did his brand of football inspire Tony Pulis?

[/quote]

The thing with Morgan was that he was heralded by the club as a really talented, modern-thinking manager, and he didn''t quite live up to that. And although we had  reputation as a selling club at that time (Ron Davies, just after Morgan took over, for example) he was given a fair bit to spend, and some of his purchases just didn''t work out. The club seemed to under-achieve under him (hence the cushions, propelled by frustration) and it was significant that Saunders took over and we got to the top flight pretty soon. The potential had been there all along.

[/quote]Thanks for the reply. I looked at his history and we got him from Darlington where his record was amazing so I guess it was a case of expectations versus reality.  His record wasn''t bad here but hardly reached the heights of DarlingtonDarlington (player manager): P94 W43 D15 L36 Win 47.8%.  Impressive stats.Also apologies, my initial stats were wrong.  His Norwich career was P127, W45 D35 L47 ( I had draws and defeats mixed up).