Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

Heskey in talks with Ipswich

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/ipswich-town/9414354/Free-agent-Emile-Heskey-opens-talks-with-Ipswich-as-Paul-Jewell-hopes-to-team-up-with-striker-again.html[/url]Made me laugh, oh dear.

I think he will be good in the championship,although I imagine he will on stupid wages for that level

Come on guys give the scum a break, it''s like when we signed Dion and the likes, look what happened to us, we got relegated!

Long may it continue, Ipswich to the thrid division and follow the Rangers model!

[quote user="Kidderminster Canary"]Oh how the mighty have fallen !, were they ever mighty ?[/quote]

I am not a binner, but they have won the FA Cup, League Championship and the UEFA Cup although that was a helluva long time ago.

Hope Jewell doesn''t stop at Heskey, bearing in mind Michael Owen is still looking for a new club, he could rekindle a former England striker partnership. That would probably be the closest for a while that 1p5wich would get to an England striker! 

[quote user="GMF"]Hope Jewell doesn''t stop at Heskey, bearing in mind Michael Owen is still looking for a new club, he could rekindle a former England striker partnership. That would probably be the closest for a while that 1p5wich would get to an England striker! [/quote]

Forget Michael Owen ~ wasn''t Heskey formerly (in his Leicester days) a strike partner of very own beloved Iwan !??

No that''s exactly what we want to hear!

If Heskey is a good signing, it just underlines how far appart Norwich and Ipswich are for now with regard to quality, expectation and leagues !

Awesomely laughable.... I guess they might cause a bit of panic at corners, you''d not want one of them falling on you.... you''d never get up!

Oh I do hope he signs....

I guess I can see the logic behind the signing. If you assume that Heskey (remember he is 34 now) can continue to score at his career average which is around 1 goal in every 4 games or so. That would leave him with around 10-12 goals for the season. But the major hope would be the knock on effect he would have on Chopra games in terms of goals and the chances he would hopefully create for others. But if I was an Ipswich supporter (heaven forbid) I would be asking serious questions of both the board and the manager. I thought they had decided the blueprint for the way forward was to sign young and hungry players who were on the way up. They have enjoyed success with the likes of Aaron Cresswell from Tranmere who was their best player last year on the rare occasions they have gone down this road. Yet they have once again resorted to signing players who are very much on the way down. That shows a complete lack of imagination and failure in the scouting/managerial department for me. Something which the management eventually has to carry the can for.

"I am not a binner, but they have won the FA Cup, League Championship and the UEFA Cup although that was a helluva long time ago"

Something that will cause City fans no end of pain as they have to make do with watching the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs playing at Carrow Road. Not for us the delights of Oakwell Park, Selhurst Park and the Den - we will be stuck in places like Old Trafford, Anfield and the Emirates.

Maybe they could get some WD40 on the trophy cabinet lock, and try and open it up. I''m sure parading a tin plated replica around the pitch will be of far great interest than being forced to watch the likes Rooney, Van Persie and Balotelli.

"That shows a complete lack of imagination and failure in the scouting/managerial department for me"

Or, in reality, a complete lack of money. Hence the need for cast offs freebies and out of contract hasbeens who will have little in the way of bargaining power.

Their slow, downward slide continues - League 1 cannot be far off.

But Heskey can''t be the cheapest option out there. I am sure he must have had fairly lucarative offers from abroad so the whole package wont be cheap for Ipswich by any means. I know these kind of players don''t grow on trees but we got Fox for £50k and Crofts for £300k. That kind of affordable value is out there. Its just laziness or inability to spot that kind of talent. Not that I am complaining. If they want to follow the same tried and trusted policy that will ensure mediocrity at best I am quite happy about it.

Whatever we paid for Fox and Crofts is immaterial, it is why they wanted to join us that was the deci"ding factor.

Look at all the other deadbeats none of who have been able to secure" fairly lucarative offers" after leaving poorman road. Heskey has been sat scratching his backside for somewhile now with apparently no offers, vindicated by his willingness to talk to the paupers.

Their CEO has repeatedly stated that there is no money, wage bill to be cut again. Even Jewell has stated that he is in the market for out of contract players and that the squad will again be smaller this season.

Look who we had to drag in some years back when money was tight. unfortunately for the paupers money isn''t tight, it is non existant

They have just spent £300k on Loach though. So there is some money there (by League 1 standards).

The figure is actually undisclosed

I would place very little reliance on newspaper speculation, as the only thing you can say with certainty is that they are 99% completely wrong

Something that is all to readily proved by club''s official accounts - and with the respective ex managers Keene and Lambert stating.

They are skint, that''s why they are scrappping the barrel for other clubs unwanted cast offs.

Its a challenging climate for a club like Ipswich. I have seen an overview of their accounts and but for the sale of Wickham they would have made a fairly hefty loss. But a lot of other Championship clubs are in the same boat with limited finances. While Ipswich are pretty skint the right kind of players are out there. You talk about cast offs but wasn''t Russell Martin just a Peterborough cast off? Wasn''t David Fox a Blackpool and Colchester cast off?

Has anyone been able to force themselves to look on twtd to see what that handful of scummy fans at the wrong end of the A140 are saying about this?

[quote user="Indy"]

Come on guys give the scum a break, it''s like when we signed Dion and the likes, look what happened to us, we got relegated!

[/quote]

Slightly harsh on Dion Dublin there, I feel.  We didn''t get relegated while he was playing for us.

"You talk about cast offs but wasn''t Russell Martin just a Peterborough cast off? Wasn''t David Fox a Blackpool and Colchester cast off? "

eh ?

As far as I can remember they were all still in contract when they were signed by City. Cast offs are by name out of contract.

So why were they happy to join City as have others and not the paupers ? More so when we were in the League 1 and then in the same division ?

As to their losses, they have continued to wrack up debt, a fair bit has been through the interest Marcus evans is charging them. They owed at one point just over 10% of all debt owed outside of the PL.

The simple fact is if your club is dross and going nowhere you will attract likeminded players. That is the sad reality for our impoverished neighbours - and why so many have walked out for nothing because the paupers could not afford to keep them.