Sign in to follow this  
Lets be aving you!

Snodgrass - a 4411 and no new striker?

The bids for Snodgrass have got me wondering whether we may field only one striker for at least some of this season.

Hughton has alluded to playing 442 and 4411 formations. I assume that a 442 starting formation would be what Hughton would typically field (as at Brum).

This suggests to me that if we have a run of injuries or loss of form with our existing strikers, and given our wealth of midfielders/wingers, we could well see a withdrawn striker being played in a 4411, alongside either Holt or Morison (as Lambert indeed played Hoolahan a couple of times in the Championship, slightly withdrawn from Holt).

Snodgrass has played for Leeds mainly as a winger. From what I have seen of him, he appears to have quick feet, a quick footballing brain and a decent shot, but lacks pace. He might therefore be ideally suited to the withdrawn striker role, which would disguise his lack of pace more than on the wing.

Do others think that maybe a new striker is therefore off the shopping list? Signing a high-quality Champs midfielder/winger like Snodgrass would be cheaper than an equivalent-level striker like the already transferred Rodriguez, and the money thus saved would boost the pot for signings to bolster the defence.

I''m sure I saw something about Jacob Butterfield having the ability to play off the front of a striker. Might''ve even been in an interview with Hughton come to think of it.

We already have an abundance of players to play 4-4-1-1 don’t we?

The main strikers are obvious; Holt, Morison, Vaughan, Jackson. The one behind could be a second out-and-out strike partner from that list or any one from Hoolahan, Howson, Butterfield, Pilkington, Bennett, Surman, C. Martin – and Snodgrass should he join. All of them can score well from the ''in behind the main striker'' position. Personally I think Jacob Butterfield will share the role with Wes Hoolahan and Jonny Howson for the majority of games.

The OP probably has a good point - sort out the defence as a priority & maybe we should just sit on our transfer budget until a fantastic striker becomes available!

i reckon this will be a popular 11

-------------------ruddy-------------

martin-----bennett-------new CB---tierney

bennett-----howson-----fox----pilkington

-------------holt-------butterfield-------

the fact that wes isn''t consistant enough, vaughan doesn''t score enough goals (9 in a season when at Palace), jackson is a good little player and could be vital towards the end of the season, as well as moro is fairly decent (got 10 goals i think) i reckon if butterfield has as much impact as most think, he should be a regular.