Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

A clean slate!

The new season is approaching, the new management team is in place, the players are fresh after a few weeks off.  Please can we give the players a clean slate and forget past events?    Players will be doing their best to prove themselves, lets get behind all of them this season and not cast aspersions for past misdemeanours -  mistakes, attitude etc.   Let them find their level without being pilloried before they have kicked a ball.  

Last season is history. A roller coaster of a ride which was ultimately successful.   We are in a different place right now.   Different players may be more in the limelight this season than last. Lets give them all the benefit of the doubt and let them prove themselves without prejudging or running them down before they have had a chance.  

Its a whole new world. A fresh start. Lets give the players a clean slate and judge them on performances they give, not what may have happened in the past.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

The new season is approaching, the new management team is in place, the players are fresh after a few weeks off.  Please can we give the players a clean slate and forget past events?    Players will be doing their best to prove themselves, lets get behind all of them this season and not cast aspersions for past misdemeanours -  mistakes, attitude etc.   Let them find their level without being pilloried before they have kicked a ball.  

Last season is history. A roller coaster of a ride which was ultimately successful.   We are in a different place right now.   Different players may be more in the limelight this season than last. Lets give them all the benefit of the doubt and let them prove themselves without prejudging or running them down before they have had a chance.  

Its a whole new world. A fresh start. Lets give the players a clean slate and judge them on performances they give, not what may have happened in the past.

[/quote]You are the Martin Luther King of this message board, LDC.But I agree with you.Except for Elliott Ward, he''s crap.

apart from Steve old wooden legs morison. no seriously completely agree with you LDC. this is even more important having a new manager. a regular from last season might not play much this season likewise a bit part or loan out could get his chance this season. time to get behind the hughton army.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Except for Elliott Ward, he''s crap[/quote]

Ditto. Impossible for me to forgive too.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]

No exceptions allowed !!  [:)]

[/quote]Come on LDC, you can''t deny it...you just can''t !!!

[quote user="ROBFLECK"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Come on LDC, you can''t deny it...you just can''t !!![/quote]

Its like I said - what has happened in the past is in the past.   A clean slate is a clean slate...............................

Completely agree. Ward deserves a chance jar as much as anyone. He might have sometimes let us down but you can''t fault his commitment. He also showed signs of a great defender last season such as vs everton do get behind him and forgive and forget

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="ROBFLECK"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Come on LDC, you can''t deny it...you just can''t !!![/quote]

Its like I said - what has happened in the past is in the past.   A clean slate is a clean slate...............................

[/quote]You have to admit he is a bit crap though.

While I agree with you in principle, do you really expect people to just throw away their past experience and opinions?

Everyone deserves a clean slate and a new chance to impress. Apart from... Crofts, C.Martin, Barnett, Ward, Moro (body language), K.Smith etc [;)]

Bit unrealistic, and also wrong in my opinion.

Why should I forget what''s happend? It''s quite frankly a stupid idea.

Giving people another chance and not just expecting them to make past mistakes/not progress fair enough. But you can''t just ignore things that have happend in the past. And I don''t want too.

Doesn''t mean I''m going to automatically expect things to go right or wrong based on past experience, but it''s what we as humans use to give us some idea as to what''s going to happen.

As I said, I agree with the principal,move Ward,C.Martin or any other player who have had a bit of grief the chance to prove themselves once again. Too much in football you get favourites and scape goats, and those don''t change. It''s like Doherty for some people, they could just never accept he wasn''t half bad. And Huckerby, he could do no wrong, not neccesairly the best example as he did very little wrong, but you get what I mean?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]While I agree with you in principle, do you really expect people to just throw away their past experience and opinions?[/quote]

YES. 

[/quote]

Sorry, that was a bit curt.   

Yes, I strongly feel that everyone deserves a fresh start with a new manager.  Some will play better under Hughton, maybe some won''t play quite so well. Who knows?   Give them all a chance.  

Fresh season, fresh manager, fresh start.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]While I agree with you in principle, do you really expect people to just throw away their past experience and opinions?[/quote]

YES. 

[/quote]

Yes, I strongly feel that everyone deserves a fresh start with a new manager.  Some will play better under Hughton, maybe some won''t play quite so well. Who knows?   Give them all a chance.  

[/quote]Okay, okay, I agree.

Elliott Ward''s a bit pony though.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

YES. 

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was probably being a bit pedantic with the wording (especially my second post).

I do agree with that of course, everyone deserves a chance. I was probably going off on a tangent...

These posts are getting a bit mixed up.

Look GP, I am not wrong if I want to give players a clean slate.   Theres just too much droning and complaining done by too many people about things they know nothing about.   For goodness sake,  people were writing off Ruddy up until Christmas last season, and Holt, and Surman and others. It just gets to the point of stupidity to just lampoon the players all the time.

I don''t really care what people want to think, but imo, when you have a new manager coming in it is a chance to impress, maybe get a little run of confidence going and who knows your worst nightmare could turn into a dream player.  It happens.    There are no duffers in the squad.   Just give them a chance!

If Hughton likes what he sees and puts Ward and Barnett in the first match are we going to boo them or groan everytime they get the ball?   Or are we going to get behind them??    Or are we going to slag off Hughton for his team selection before they have a chance to show us what they can do in the new regime?    I hate to think what it would be like if we got on their backs in the first game at Carrow Rd.  Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.     It could make or break the season if we don''t get behind them from the word go.   

Welcome to the new world .   Or are fans so closed minded that they can''t see benefit of getting behind all the players?? 

I think it relates to basic human behaviour LDC; some people focus on the good stuff in life – some on the bad. Some have an abundant attitude – some dwell upon lack. One man’s meat is another man’s poison etc etc.

I agree there are currently no total duffers in the squad – although with sufficient discouragement some could easily be created! However, setting out to do that would be tantamount to sabotage in my book…

If Hughton likes what he sees and puts Ward and Barnett in the first match are we going to boo them or groan everytime they get the ball?   Or are we going to get behind them??    Or are we going to slag off Hughton for his team selection before they have a chance to show us what they can do in the new regime?    I hate to think what it would be like if we got on their backs in the first game at Carrow Rd.  Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.     It could make or break the season if we don''t get behind them from the word go.   

[/quote]7/10I think you could probably have worked another couple of cliches into that paragraph.Getting on their backs while shooting ourselves in the foot sounds like a tricky business but I''m game.  I used to win prizes at Twister.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

I think it relates to basic human behaviour LDC; some people focus on the good stuff in life – some on the bad. Some have an abundant attitude – some dwell upon lack. One man’s meat is another man’s poison etc etc.

I agree there are currently no total duffers in the squad – although with sufficient discouragement some could easily be created! However, setting out to do that would be tantamount to sabotage in my book…

[/quote]At the end of the day you can''t rewrite history and while we are where we are, some players have a lot of ground to make up in terms of being premier league also-rans.  Their track records speak volumes regardless of whoever is pulling the strings from the managerial hotseat and when it comes down to it, football is a results business - mistakes are costly, and in the final analysis it''s those split second decisions that add up over the course of a season to determine whether we''re knocking on the door of the Europa League, safely mid-table or staring into the abyss just above the relegation trapdoor when all the fans will be up in arms and the whole club will be fighting for Premiership survival.Hell, yeah.

[/quote]So - straight question - which areas of the squad do you feel we need to strengthen with transfer signings?  Or do you think we should see how the existing squad goes before deciding whether to sign anyone?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

So - straight question - which areas of the squad do you feel we need to strengthen with transfer signings?  Or do you think we should see how the existing squad goes before deciding whether to sign anyone?

[/quote]

Straight question - straight answer.

The defence. 

But the sentiment remains.  Whoever is in the squad, whoever is in the team - give them all the benefit of seeing how they perform in a different regime/system/atomosphere (whatever you want to call it).  

Do you really think Grant Holt deserves a clean slate after what he did?Nope, I shall be booing and hissing him until he gets the massage...we are the best fans in the world and he don''t mess with us! [8o|]

[quote user="lappinitup"]Do you really think Grant Holt deserves a clean slate after what he did?

Nope, I shall be booing and hissing him until he gets the massage...we are the best fans in the world and he don''t mess with us! [8o|]
[/quote]

Whose the lucky fella to get that job then?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="lappinitup"]Do you really think Grant Holt deserves a clean slate after what he did?

Nope, I shall be booing and hissing him until he gets the massage...we are the best fans in the world and he don''t mess with us! [8o|]
[/quote]

Whose the lucky fella to get that job then?

[/quote]

I think i can hear a woman in Reepham screaming" ME,ME,ME " at this very moment.[;)]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[/quote]

At the end of the day you can''t rewrite history and while we are where we are, some players have a lot of ground to make up in terms of being premier league also-rans.  Their track records speak volumes regardless of whoever is pulling the strings from the managerial hotseat and when it comes down to it, football is a results business - mistakes are costly, and in the final analysis it''s those split second decisions that add up over the course of a season to determine whether we''re knocking on the door of the Europa League, safely mid-table or staring into the abyss just above the relegation trapdoor when all the fans will be up in arms and the whole club will be fighting for Premiership survival.

Hell, yeah.

[/quote]

I think you two need to take a long hard look in the mirror because we are where we are right now and Hughton will know this season will be about horses for courses and there will be no looking back once the games get under way.They will come thick and fast with no time to take breath whether we like it or not.It is all about seizing the moment and as sure as night follows day there will be difficult times ahead but it will not be for the want of trying. [Y]