Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Peter Crouch

Please don''t anyone have a go at me for bringing up another thread about Peter Crouch...but I do feel I need to say just one thing, after all, he did play for us once.

I backed Peter from the moment he arrived and thought he was a snip at £2million. When I said that on this board, most people jumped down my throat and said he was not up to Premiership standards. How wrong those of you were. He has shown pure class at Southampton...don''t know why Steve Wigley wouldn''t play him!

He is scoring consistently and is way above (in terms of quality) most of the other Saints players. He was one that slipped through the net when we could have bought him. In the long run, it has all turned out Ok as we have spent the money on a star called Dean Ashton...what a signing he will prove to be.

So it''s finally time to put the Peter Crouch thing to bed...however, if he ever becomes available again and within our reach, those of you who had a go at me and told me I was over-rating him, please take note.

Those of you that backed me, stand and be counted...well done!

The other point is that we would have had him for the whole season not just the 2nd half that we will have with Ashton. Also for less money too!

[quote]Please don''t anyone have a go at me for bringing up another thread about Peter Crouch...but I do feel I need to say just one thing, after all, he did play for us once. I backed Peter from the moment ...[/quote]

If one man can get us relegated, that man is Peter Crouch

I agree. We should have bought Crouch when we had the chance.

Although Ashton will prove a great, great signing for us, his signature came too late to save us from the drop this season

No offence meant Canary Boy but are we going to have a "We should''ve signed Peter Crouch" thread everytime he scores?  Some of us think we should''ve signed him, others don''t.  Personally I still don''t think if he came here he would''ve done as well.

Incidently I hear Dean Windass is still doing well at Bradford.  Pity we didn''t sign him!

Crouch wouldn''t have done much for us, most of his goals have come from great balls into the box. Something we''re not capable of doing on a regular basis.

Hmmm - either Crouch or Ashton?  We have signed the right man for the longer term.  Neither would have been enough to keep us up though as ITS THE NUMBER OF GOALS CONCEEDED THATS RELEGATING US.

We have scored only 8 less goals than Everton but conceeded 26 more - clean sheets win you prizes, goals just make you look pretty - ask that very nice man Kevin Keegan

OTBC

Crouch or Ashton. ashton EVERY TIME. Form is temporary.. CLASS is permanent. ''what a signing he turned out to be'' What a crass statement given Ashtons last outing against Manchester. Crouch scored 2 goals against Brentford, therefore he must be a better player.

Crouch or Ashton. ashton EVERY TIME. Form is temporary.. CLASS is permanent. ''what a signing he turned out to be'' What a crass statement given Ashtons last outing against Manchester. Crouch scored 2 goals against Brentford, therefore he must be a better player.

I would choose Ashton over crouch every time. He is awesome, and his all round game is miles better than crouch''s. Deano''s 10 times the player crouch is. Crouch is having a good season yes, but last season at villa he was average at best, and when he was with us he only managed 4 goals in all the games he played, and that was against first divison defences such as Gillingham and Walsall. Like i said, for me Ashton is the better player and i''m glad we have him instead of crouch.

He''s looked nothing special when i''ve seen him for soton. Did you see his goal vs Arsenal, - the ball hit his nose and went in because Lehmann is rubbish. He scores 2 goals against Brentford (the second being off the sole of his foot!) and now we are stupid for not making a big bid for him!! madness 

[quote]Please don''t anyone have a go at me for bringing up another thread about Peter Crouch...but I do feel I need to say just one thing, after all, he did play for us once. I backed Peter from the moment ...[/quote]

Canary Boy,

I always agreed with you on this one, still think we should have bought him, but having said that I''m very happy with Deano.

Thanks City Angel

I too am very pleased with Ashton and I think he is full value for money.

I see Crouch has told Sky that he now wants a place in Sven''s England squad. I think he could cause a few problems, although not if Sven plays him at left-back!

[quote]Thanks City Angel I too am very pleased with Ashton and I think he is full value for money. I see Crouch has told Sky that he now wants a place in Sven''s England squad. I think he could cause a few ...[/quote]

Sorry Canaryboy, Crouch may be playing well and has had a good half of a season but he is nowhere near being at an international level.

Maybe it would have been worthwhile bringing in a striker at the beginning of the season but not Crouch, he was injured for 3 months earlier in the season. 

Please don''t be sorry Saint Canary!

If Peter Crouch thinks he is good enough for England that''s his right. I just think he could cause a few problems like he has been doing against all Premiership opposition this season. Even goalkeepers jumping for the ball don''t seem to beat him to it. I''ve even seen him duck to head the ball in the net!

Anything''s better than watching a non-existent Michael Owen up front.

[quote]Please don''t be sorry Saint Canary! If Peter Crouch thinks he is good enough for England that''s his right. I just think he could cause a few problems like he has been doing against all Premiership op...[/quote]

Good point, at least you would know Crouch was playing!

[quote]If one man can get us relegated, that man is Peter Crouch[/quote]

Sorry to have brough this thread to the top again, but just wondered if anyone who didnt want to sign him, has changed their minds looking at his performance, now that hes starting every game.

Ashton will be a fine player for us next season in the Championship and will grow with experience but I still wonder if Crouch might have been our saviour this season.

Guess we''ll never know now

I think many have CityAngel.

I and quite a few others stuck by Peter Crouch and when the 2 million price tag came up, most on this board laughed in my face and said he wasn''t worth it...1 million tops!

If I wasn''t a Norwich City supporter, I''d be laughing back...but I won''t.

Peter must be bitterly disappointed not to be in the England Squad announced today. Emile Heskey returns who has done basically nothing all season and Crouch, probably one of the most inform strikers around, doesn''t get a look in. Mind you, Eriksson would have probably played him at right-back!