Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Still Leaking Goals

The Hertha result looked like Norwich of last season. Shot themselves in the foot with a bad back pass and leaking too many goals despite a good threat going forward to deny themselves a result or a better result.

Having lost our best defender from last season plus our most commanding centre half this match must have underlined to Hughton where the money needs to be spent.

Buy Snodgrass if you have funds to buy top defenders thereafter, but if you do not then pull out and sign players capable of keeping the opposition out. This means pace and that is reportedly the quality lacking in the one defender we have signed.

Snodgrass would be a top signing but yes it is obvious where our problems are, 3rd worst goals against last season. Ward is out of his depth as is Barnett. Martin is good at centrwe hald but exposed for pace at right back. Tierny is fine at left back when fit but no cover. So we need a good centre half another left back and at least 1 right back, that is where most of out money needs to be spent

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

Groundhog Day... change the record... more repetitive than the BBC.. we get the picture, etc, etc.

[/quote]

This is a discussion board....... the OP has a point, nothing has changed and nothing has been done to address the problem  .... discuss please, don''t just  criticise without explanation.

Thank you

Before he got injured Tierney was great and he''s still here. We haven''t seen enough of Whittaker to compare him to Naughton and Martin was our best CB last year.

Also from the reports it sounded like the pen Ayala gave away wasn''t a foul and apart from that sounds like we defended well 2nd half. Lappin isn''t a left back and the fact that he was playing there shows that we need another LB but apart from that I don''t think we can conclude that the defence needs to be overhauled.

The fact that Martin was our best defender last year kinda highlights the problem when he was playing out of position! Don''t get me wrong, he did a really, really good job but he is a right back. We definitely need to sort our defence out!

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]The Hertha result looked like Norwich of last season. Shot themselves in the foot with a bad back pass and leaking too many goals despite a good threat going forward to deny themselves a result or a better result.

Having lost our best defender from last season plus our most commanding centre half this match must have underlined to Hughton where the money needs to be spent.

Buy Snodgrass if you have funds to buy top defenders thereafter, but if you do not then pull out and sign players capable of keeping the opposition out. This means pace and that is reportedly the quality lacking in the one defender we have signed.[/quote]
We can''t really base much on yesterdays game. Of course a defeat isn''t wanted but Hertha are substantially ahead of us in pre season. they barely had a sniff in the second half - we can''t really draw any comparisons to last season (especially as Vaughan scored a brace). I''m sure things will tighten up as pre-season continues, however, a strong pacey centre half would be good.

[quote]

nothing has changed and nothing has been done to address the problem  ....

[/quote]

So we didnt sign whittaker then?

More twaddle from the pinkun brandeadheads.1. It''s pre-season, who gives a stuff what the result was.2. Hertha are two weeks ahead of us in their preparation and shipped two goals, who should be more concerned?3. We have Ayala coming back, Bennett settling in, Tierney coming back and a new right-back from a top club, how in anyone''s tiny-brained universe is that not sorting it out?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]The Hertha result looked like Norwich of last season. Shot themselves in the foot with a bad back pass and leaking too many goals despite a good threat going forward to deny themselves a result or a better result.

Buy Snodgrass if you have funds to buy top defenders thereafter, but if you do not then pull out and sign players capable of keeping the opposition out. This means pace and that is reportedly the quality lacking in the one defender we have signed.[/quote]^^^^^ Thinks he knows better than Chris Hughton and the coaching staff^^^^^^^^

Oh noooooo''s we lost a friendly vs a German team way ahed of us in thier pre season warm up !!LMAO love some peoples reactions round here, its like we got drubbed 7-1 by Colchester !Vaughan brace in 2nd half is enough to keep me happy :) Good sign that.

RUDOLPH HUCKER – “The Hertha result looked like Norwich of last season. Shot themselves in the foot with a bad back pass and leaking too many goals despite a good threat going forward to deny themselves a result or a better result.

Buy Snodgrass if you have funds to buy top defenders thereafter, but if you do not then pull out and sign players capable of keeping the opposition out. This means pace and that is reportedly the quality lacking in the one defender we have signed.”

and leaking too many goals despite a good threat going forward to deny themselves a result or a better result.

Buy Snodgrass if you have funds to buy top defenders thereafter, but if you do not then pull out and sign players capable of keeping the opposition out. This means pace and that is reportedly the quality lacking in the one defender we have signed.”

"Shot themselves in the foot with a bad back pass".

Didn''t I read the bad back pass was from Howson?

So a highly rated midfielder makes a mistake and as a result we need to buy a centre back.

Sound reasoning!

I seem to have made the mistake of thinking this was a discussion board.

I thought the post was reasoned but it seems to have attracted a number of insults.

On that basis, I will just have to assume we are in a honeymoon period and there is no point airing a concern because that just makes you brain dead, repetitive or thinking you know more than the manager.

To be honest I do not think there is anything wrong with people voicing their concerns about the Norwich defence, even if it was just a friendly game. This is a message board for people to voice their opinions, it doesn''t mean anyone thinks they know better than Hughton.

The Norwich defence was ok last year, but scoring goals was our main good point, and for incidentally in the championship year too we conceded lots of goals. In the highlights v. H Berlin you can quite clearly see E Bennett being outpaced for the first goal. It''s a through ball and the Berlin striker clearly burns him. He''s a good player but this is a worry, and it''s why Russell Martin (who is uncannily quick) is probably a better CB at the moment. Barnett, R Bennett, Ward, Ayala and R Martin are a decent fivesome but no more than decent.

The trouble with investing is who do you bring in? I don''t think there are too many championship defenders better than who we have, even though it''s the area we need to improve. We may have to look abroad if we want to improve the defence substantially, rather than spending 2 -3m on someone like Curtis Davies, who although is quite good by all accounts, wouldn''t improve us that much I don''t think.

[quote user="Blurboy1980"]Also another Penalty given away from Ayala grrrr I hope he doesn''t do that too often this year.[/quote]

Ah, but he provided an assist for a goal so made up for that IMO.

"On that basis, I will just have to assume we are in a honeymoon period and there is no point airing a concern because that just makes you brain dead"

I came past Carrow Road and the ruddy turnstiles are not even open. In fact I now the learn the players are not even in the country. Has anything been done about this ?

What''s the betting our board, who won''t spend any money, actually fly the players into another country rather than Norwich just to save more money. Is nobody airing this concern ?

From what I also gather when we do get back to Carrow Road we will not even be playing English teams, so if we win both games neither of the three points will count, which means we could start the season minus six points. And what is being done about this ? I will tell you, nothing. That''s it, ruddy nothing.

We are heading for relegation and, I wouldn''t doubt, administration. Someone should speak out before it is too late, if it isn''t already

Whilst fans are entirely entitled to voice concerns I can''t help but find it bemusing how seriously some people take friendlies!

This was a run out for fitness alone ... nothing more and nothing less.

Yes there is reason to air concern, but not about the result of a friendly, the first of the season, against a team who were unfortunate to be relegated last season from the top flight of German football and who are further forward with their pre-season work.

Give the manager time to evaluate the players he has, then, if nothing is done to improve the situation, assume he is happy with what he has and look for his input to improve their play.

But let''s be patient enough to see what he is going to do.

Look at all the back pass defensive mistakes that led to goals last season.   Most, I would say were down to inexperience.   Barnett, Ward, De Laet, Whitbread, Ayala, Bennett.  Every single one of them made the same mistake at least once.   Whitbread - who some laud as our best defender was just as guilty as the others. 

The inexperience is now experience.    Don''t underestimate the break the players will have had to chill out and evaluate what happened in the pressure cooker of their first premiership season.   Also don''t underestimate the effect of having a new manager - and one who is reknowned for getting the players to play to the best of their ability.

Could the defenders we''ve already got improve on last season?   Of course they could.   So people shouldn''t wet themselves if  we don''t sign any defenders.    As yellow wall says - wait and see how they get on under the new manager.  

Oh for God''s sake LDC !! 
Will you please stop being the voice of reason, I''ve had quite enough of your sensible posts! You''re beginning to sound like that bloody Beausant! (Where are you Beau? The lunatics are taking over the asylum and help is needed)
I''m going to have to agree with you, just this once mind you, and say that experience comes with, well experience?  Why buy two outstanding young prospects such as Bennett and Ayala if you''re not going to play them.  Stick ''em in, give ''em a few games and see how the lads get on.  You never know, they may surprise some people.  (Feel like saying something about Rome and days of the week or something......)

I agree with Lake District Canary that we conceded some sloppy goals which were down to bad defensive errors. These things will happen over a 38 game season. Even John Terry left a backpass short against Arsenal which gave RVP an absolute present in the win at Stamford Bridge. But I think if we have an inexperienced back line it is important to have 1 experienced campaigner to lead and marshall the backline to give advice and encouragement to one of Bennett and Ayala for when the mistakes inveitably do come (that isn''t a critcism it is part and parcel of being a centre back. Mistakes you make will sometimes result in goals). I would be slightly concerned if we had both Bennett and Ayala starting games. I think it is important to get the right blend between youth and experience.