Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Right - time to get on with swooping

The Hoot has now had 2 weeks in which to assess the squad, including the week in Austria and the friendly on saturday. Whilst i''ve been a bit nervous at our lack of transfer activity so far I''ve not really been that concerned on the basis that it makes sense for him to properly assess the squad first. And, in my view, what that assessment will have shown him is that we are fine going forward and have goals in us but defensively we need to tighten up and we are in need to strenthening. In particular, that first half defence on saturday looked awful. Now we are back we need to stop messing about and get on with things therefore i hope and expect to see us bring in a centre back (preferably with pace), a left back and the Snod in the next week/ten days. If we don;t start to see things happening this week then i will start to get slightly worried.

I was interested to see CH play Lappin on the left against HB. Do you think he''s trying to suss out if SL is suitable cover for Tierney?

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I was interested to see CH play Lappin on the left against HB. Do you think he''s trying to suss out if SL is suitable cover for Tierney?

[/quote]

Given that Lappin is the only possible cover for Tierney, you must be correct.     It also implies of course, that this will be the way of things if a suitable left back covering player is not found in the transfer market.    We may look a little short of cover, but we do have good defenders in the squad and Whittaker is reportedly able to play anywhere in the defence, so we should be ok.  We should let Hughton judge for himself what he sees and hopefully he will sort them out and get cover if he thinks we need it. 

[quote user="Sephiroth Owa"]To be honest, we didn''t lose a game where Lapping played in the league last season :)He looked pretty solid in all 3 games.[/quote]He didn''t look solid at Loftus Road, and was taken off at half time.  I know it was slightly different circumstances due to Barton''s dismissal.We could improve on Lappin quite a lot, in my opinion he is someone who should be shipped out.

I don''t quite get the Lappin thing - good guy he might be, but PL quality he isn''t. If we were ranking our squad players in order, he would surely be at or near the bottom for all of us. IMO it is those 2-3 guys at the bottom who we should look to sell and replace (along with restoring the squad for those released) if we are to improve as an entire unit.

Blow me down! Who would have expected to see yet another "our defence needs strengthening" thread.

SDP - can you not merge all of the existing ones?

[quote user="Gareth"]Yes, swooping is bad.
(I doubt anyone will get the reference, if you do good to know of a fellow Bioware fan on this forum.)
[/quote]God bless Alistair...... [Y]

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Sephiroth Owa"]To be honest, we didn''t lose a game where Lapping played in the league last season :)He looked pretty solid in all 3 games.[/quote]He didn''t look solid at Loftus Road, and was taken off at half time.  I know it was slightly different circumstances due to Barton''s dismissal.We could improve on Lappin quite a lot, in my opinion he is someone who should be shipped out.[/quote]He didn''t look solid against Wolves either and was also taken off at half time after Kightly gave him the run around for 45 minutes.Top guy? - Yes.Premier League Player? - Not anywhere near.