Sign in to follow this  
AndyCanary

What is our greatest win over the binners?

Hi all,We''re doing a top 10 UK football team rivalries post on http://www.strikerstackle.com and the EA Derby is in the top 10.Part of the article is to focus on the greatest win of either team over each other with 1 match being detailed.So far I''m stuck on which win was the greatest. I''m obviously biased but the two I can think of are the recent 5-1 demolition at their place or the League cup semi final we won in the last minute in the 80''s.The 5-1 demolition was obviously awesome because it was in their back yard, but we weren''t playing for anything except 3 points. Obv we went on to get promoted so the points were important.We went on to win the league cup which was obviously great, but it was the league cup...I keep asking myself what would I rather have had in the 2010/11 season? The 5-1 win at Portaloo Road or a semi final win against Ipswich that took us to Wembley?Or maybe I''m missing another classic all together and/or my yellow and green tinted glasses are ignoring a massive defeat to them?Help please[:)]

Not saying its the greatest but our 2-1 win in 1995 at Carrow Road I got a lot of enjoyment out of. We went 2-0 up. They got back into the game through a Jon Wark penalty. The referee then awarded another penalty to Ipswich. Then after what seemed an eternity (Wark even time to put the ball on the spot and square up to Gunn) overturned his decision and awarded a free kick even though the linesman hadn''t actually flagged for anything. Cue absolute rage from the binners in the corner.

Our greatest win against the scum just has to be the Milk Cup semi final second leg.It may have been just over 27 years ago but i remember that night like it was only yesterday.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Our greatest win against the scum just has to be the Milk Cup semi final second leg.It may have been just over 27 years ago but i remember that night like it was only yesterday.[/quote]That''s the one I''m referring to sir! I always call it the Milk Cup but when I double checked on Wikipedia they have it as the League cup which I guess it what it went on to be called.

A worthy (no pun intended) has to go to the 0-2 win in 2003. It spawned one of my favorate chants of ''Top of the league at portman rd'' and really set us on the way to promotion. We saw leon score 2 on his debeut and the whole Huckerby thing was going on at the same time and it was just a great time to be a canary fan.

Although the 1-5 thrashing at Scum HQ was brilliant and one i will never forget as long as i live it must be remembered that Scum 2011 were pants compared to the Scum side of 1985.

Just saying......

[quote user="manchesteryellow"]You just lost any interest I might have had in reading your blog. It''s always been the League Cup...Poor chap.[/quote]Well seeing as opinion seems to be split it would point towards me being right to be unsure which game to choose. Which makes you sound like an tube who''s only interested in reading about his own opinion which makes me happy that won''t have to see your views on the blog any time soon.Good point re: the strength of teams Til.

[quote user="manchesteryellow"]Lol. K. Top of the league at Portman Road, for my money.[/quote]I think I misunderstood your point.I know it''s always been the league cup and it was called the Milk Cup just like it''s called the Carling Cup etc.. I was just making the point that Wikipedia refers to it as the League Cup and not it''s sponsors name.

League Cup everytime

4-1 at home merely confirmed what many already knew - the 5-1 at poorman road was extremely enjoyable as was the 2-0 in 2003.

However there was so much riding on the cup semi final and unlike the 5-1 we didn''t know that we were going to win fairly early on. The atmosphere was electric and when Bruce headed in the goal absolute Barclay mayhem followed. The usual ''surge'', everybody was either knocked over and bundled down the terraces. The noise was incredible and we were back at Wembley. Great night in the City afterwards.

It''s got to be the Milk Cup Semi in ''85. 

They were the better team in those days and the favourites, and we done them at the last to secure a trip to the final.  You can''t write a better script than that night. 

Milk Cup for me.

I remember the away game and they murdered us 1-0!

To beat your rivals to get to Wembley is a VERY special occasion. Any win is great, but that tops it for me

Greatest, has to be Milk Cup.

Personally, most enjoyable was 3-2 away win on boxing day 1982(?). Standing behind the goal and remember the match being won late on by an O''Neill screamer. Those games at Christmas and Easter always had a special atmosphere.

Thank you everyone. It looks like the 1985 Milk Cup win is the one then.Here is some coverage of it: CLICKYI particularly like hearing binners managers Ferguson talk about how the players can''t bring themselves to shower as they''re crying so much!

[quote user="Highland Canary"]

Personally, most enjoyable was 3-2 away win on boxing day 1982(?). Standing behind the goal and remember the match being won late on by an O''Neill screamer. Those games at Christmas and Easter always had a special atmosphere.

[/quote]

Highland - I was right there also! Outside of his boot, top corner, we went a bit mental didn''t we?

A little story:

Our rivalry is somewhat unique in British football, because the two clubs are (relatively speaking) geographically far from each other. I often speak to Arsenal fans and West Ham supporters and although they are fully aware that the rivalry is as intense as their respective debies (and they don''t believe the media when they patronize it and dub it the ''Old Farm''), they still don''t understand why it really exists. And I simply explain to them, it isn''t just to claim a city or some area of London, where a Spurs fan, for example, will see an Arsenal fan everyday of the week; it is county v. county, the fight for a whole geographical area, one community v. the other. We argue not just over football, but over which place has better buildings, which county is nicer to live in and even what our different proximities to London means to (or should mean to) our local identities.

Despite being born in Norwich, I have lived most of my life in Suffolk - very close to Ipswich (although, thankfully, not actually in it). I have always supported City; thanks to my dad and grandad who between them have seen pretty much the entire history of the club right from the days when we played at The Nest. The first match I can remember was a 1-0 home defeat to Crystal Palace in 1996 when I was five; I have been told since (although I''ve never actually verified if it was true) that a huge fight broke out on the pitch and Andy Marshall was sent off.

During school I received a lot of grief from the Ipswich supporting majority - mostly harmless and fun (which has always added to the enjoyment of a rivalry), but some of it over stepped the mark and did go beyond what people stupidly class these days as ''harmless banter''. Despite this, I never hid away from being a Norwich fan and this included going to school the day after the play-off defeat with the green and yellow streak still in my hair (and receiving a ticking off from my teachers as a result), wearing a Norwich shirt under my uniform when we had to go to Portman Road with the school for some reason (I can''t really remember why) and turning up to a school PE lesson where we had some of Ipswich''s coaches, and I think a former player, train us in a full City kit - socks and all. I probably haven''t been to as many games as most (in fact I go to more away games these days as I now live in London), but I would always at least try and listen to the match on Radio Norfolk - an interesting feat to attempt when living outside it''s signal zone, and I think I have listened to as many Dutch football matches as a result.

Football, despite what Sky or anyone else might lead you to believe, is just a game. But, and don''t get me wrong I know we all hate Ipswich as Norwich fans; as that''s the nature of what a rivalry is, I ''ve always felt that the rivalry meant that little bit more to me as a result of my connections to that other club, and because of the fact that I have an unusual position in our unique rivalry - I am a Norwich fan who''s lived near Ipswich most of his life.

Sadly I wasn''t there the night we beat them 5-1 (even though I had a good time watching the 4-1 in the Old Red Lion, what a day that was!), and I wasn''t even listening to it on the radio as I was at a party I think; but after learning that Pacheco had whacked in that 5th goal via Twitter I felt a wonderful sense of ''it has all been worth it'',right from those dark days when we were languishing near the foot of Division One and they had beaten Inter Milan. To me it seemed like ''we''d done it''. Achieved something I never thought we would. Something I had always dreamed of us doing. We had given them lot an absolute hammering.

I enjoyed the 4-1 at home more than the 1-5 away.

For some reason the atmosphere that day was electric, more so than the usual Old Farm Derby

Great story Panic. You have a great writing style. If you ever want to write some articles for our blog just let me know :)

I was going to say that your website was good Andy, and I was going to ask if you needed any contributions haha.

I''ll DM you my email.

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="Highland Canary"]

[/quote]

Highland - I was right there also! Outside of his boot, top corner, we went a bit mental didn''t we?

[/quote]

Yes - was all jolly entertaining! I think we used to look forward to games against Ipswich even more then, home or away. Carra was rarely full so local derbies brought a special atmosphere. How watching football has changed since the late 70s/ early 80s - looking back this was a dark time for football.