Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Why the silence?

If Sky Sports are are correct, and if we are about to talk, or are already talking, with Snodgrass about terms, why is it always necessary in these cases to maintain slience until a player actually signs? Understandably, the player may ask for a day or two to consider, and so often the result is anxiety, panic and rumours.

I can think of only two reasons:-

- to protect the pride of the club if the player declines to come to us, for whatever reason. Perhaps this is why the "big" clubs do announce talks in advance, - they are confident of the outcome of the talks.

- or is the buying club scared that gazumping may occur?

I can understand that clubs and players may wish to conceal the details of their contracts, especially if a newcomer earns more than established players, but I don''t understand why they conceal even the information that they have agreed fees with another club. Investigative journalists very often discover the fact, and periodically there are unofficial "leaks" and "hints" from staff at the club, and even perhaps a player recognised near the ground or at  restaurant, (even in a supermarket!)

The result is that we hear rumours leaked by agents, by journalists who have misunderstood or deliberately misinterpreted, and by members of this and other boards who die for publicity and invent that fact that "we are signing xxxxx xxxxx from Intermilan.

I think that Norwich City is an honest club, so why don''t they simply reveal that they have enquired about player X and progressed to agreeing a fee with his club? We then know that it will be a day or two for discussion of terms and medical, and perhaps a further day or two before the Press Conference. We are adults, at least most of us are, we know that things can go wrong and we know that other clubs may not be so honourable. Above all, we would feel involved if the club kept us posted.

Because both clubs will agree nothing is to be released and along come people who cant resist talking ie people at the club who should not be. Also think if we spoke before it could be classed as tapping up couldnt it ?

If you are going to blame our fine club for this you must put the same charge to almost every other club and even most businesses.

"or is the buying club scared that gazumping may occur?"

yep, I''m sure no other club knew we were in negotiations over Snodgrass

Until it becomes fact, it is just a rumour. There is little point in announcing something that may or may not happen.

You could turn the question round and say "why discuss something openly that may not happen?"I have no idea what happens behind closed doors, but I would have thought the request for silence is more likely to come from the selling club. Why stir up discontent among your supporters until the money is definitely banked and the player has left for good? I don''t know what actually took place between NCFC, Holt and West Ham over the summer but if it had been a long, drawn-out, very public negotiation I suspect his reputation with us would be more damaged than it is now.

[quote user="Jack Flash"]But didn''t CH declare our bid a few days ago?[/quote]I think he acknowledged that it was true after Colin went public.

If you don''t get it i would suggest getting Four Four Two.

There is a 4/5 page piece in the latest issue about transfers. It talks to a player, a CEO, Agent, Tabloid and a Sunday paper journalist and talks about how transfer stories are released.

Discusses the lies, deceit, fake offers, etc.. that clubs, agents, players, etc, make up to get bids increased, wages increased, new deals, new offers, etc...

Very interesting read.

But this could be the same.. Nothing much from Norwich because they want this to happen but Leeds confirming could just have been to get an increased offer from elsewhere so they get more money.. Not saying it is but after reading the article i''m now a bit more scepticle at the information released by people "in-the-know"

"but after reading the article i''m now a bit more scepticle at the information released by people "in-the-know"

welcome aboard

""but after reading the article i''m now a bit more scepticle at the information released by people "in-the-know"

welcome aboard"

That wasn''t aimed at anyone on here.

I meant SSN/BBC/Eurosport, etc.... If agents, players, clubs, etc are manipulating the use of press, etc, to increase bids and wages you have to take it with a bit more salt.

Still love all the rumours and that though. Without them the transfer window would be dull and everyone would moan nothing is going on....

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"]Also think if we spoke before it could be classed as tapping up couldnt it ? [/quote]

The only case I can remember of anyone being convicted of tapping up a player was Chelsea for the fiasco with Ashley Cole.

in the press you are always hearing about players agreeing contracts with clubs with only the fee to be settled. Surely that is tapping up too and yet nothing ever gets done.

Davo

"in the press you are always hearing about players agreeing contracts with clubs with only the fee to be settled. Surely that is tapping up too and yet nothing ever gets done."

No, not if the deal has been done correctly

You seem to forget that almost all the media, websites are commercial operations who survive mostly on advertising revenue which is usually determined by the number of readers, web visits etc

With that in mind it is their interest to fill up their pages with anything that attracts readers etc. So all too often any ols sh ite is put up, printed just to keep people coming back. As posted elsewhere 99% is complete nonsense put out by agents for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately the ''window lickers'' will read this and happily believe that particular source has some inside knowledge.

It doesn''t. No more than if I read the prophecies of mystic meg regarding tonights lottery numbers.

But as someone once said, don''t underestimate the stupidy of the general public