Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Elliott Ward the Captian.

I know im not the only one who isn''t the biggest fan of tonights 1st half captain. He seems to have 1 good game in 5 or 6 with the rest being poor. What is it that he does to get the armband? Both L______ and Hughton have given him the role, but when you get performances like vs Liverpool why does he deserve it?

[:^)][*-)][:^)][*-)][:^)][*-)][:^)][*-)][:^)][*-)][:^)][*-)][:^)][*-)][:^)][*-)][:^)][*-)][:^)][*-)][:^)][*-)]

Obviously 2 of Britain''s finest managers have got it completely wrong. You should get yourself down to Colney ASAP before someone f**ks something else up.

Chop chop.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

He did ok! But captain...thats too far!?

[/quote]
He could''ve been made captain because he''s charismatic, or communicates well or reads the game well. Unless you know otherwise than to question his captaincy on the back of a (generally) composed and calm performance from the entire team seem harsh to me.   

In no other country do so many people fret over who is the captain of their team. They just expect that a reasonably experienced and senior player will take the job as has happened here. All he has to do is call heads or tails and organise the Christmas piss up [;)]

[quote user="Gareth"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]
He could''ve been made captain because he''s charismatic, or communicates well or reads the game well. Unless you know otherwise than to question his captaincy on the back of a (generally) composed and calm performance from the entire team seem harsh to me.   
[/quote]
That should be ''then''

[quote user="Shack Attack"]In no other country do so many people fret over who is the captain of their team. They just expect that a reasonably experienced and senior player will take the job as has happened here. All he has to do is call heads or tails and organise the Christmas piss up [;)][/quote]
Yes, the English attitude towards the captaincy of the team always confused me (and that''s from an Englishman!). Why can''t it just be the best or most experienced player?

I am a Banana at it again....going for what he perceives to be an easy target in an attention seeking thread!

Elliott Ward is an experienced centre back with captain experience elsewhere why would he not be picked?

You sir are not what the internet was invented for!

Banana, honestly you are being a cu*t

He deserves a chance just like every other player.

Why don''t you get on down to Colney and tell Hughton that both him and Lambert were wrong in choosing such a poor player.

You criticise Ward and yet you state that your favourite player is one who was inconsistent and no where near getting into the top 3 players of the season.

You crave attention just like Wiz

When Banana first started having a go at Ward last season, our defensive record with him in the team was better than without (after something like 8 games)...

good point Gingerpele....

Ward was exceptional v. Wolves (3 goal saving tackles)...ok he had one bad game (who didn''t last season?)

In Elliott Ward''s first season at Norwich he was first choice centreback, played pretty much every game and we got promoted to the Premier League. Yet that still wasn''t enough to win over some of the fans. And if he couldn''t do it then he''ll basically never have a chance of doing it, no matter how successful we are with him in the team.

Obviously Elliott Ward has his faults, most players do and at Norwich City you''re not going to get a team of world class players. However, he is still a good player and there is very little between him and any of the other defenders at the club.

Elliott Ward didn''t just have a couple of poor games last season he was awful all season.

our 3 clean sheets last season came when ward wasn''t on the pitch end of.

I really can''t see the issue with Ward being given the captaincy for a 45 min spell in a friendly match.That being said I do have my concerns about him defensively, as I agree that he looked poor in a number of games last season (partly could be due to lengthy injury lay off) but he just doesn''t seem up to the top level. He was sold 6 years ago by West Ham who didn''t feel he was good enough and that they would rather have 1 mil from Coventry, and he''s since only ever played at CCC level or below and it shows at times.Unlike players like Pilks and E.Bennett, Ward hasn''t really made the step up IMHO, and whilst I can deal with him as an occasional backup player in the event of a short term injury, I wouldn''t want him having regular playing time in the first team.

Wardie has always divided opinion just like The Doc, I agree with most said...however last year our CB were never settled due to injury and he made some absolutely vital blocks through the season.

Not sure what sort of dvds CH watched, either the game as a whole or specific players (ie camera following a player or a part of formation). If he watched a general view then what he would have seen was Wardie saving a number of Goals/points.

What CH I am sure is working on is making sure we dont need to make those vital blocks.

[quote user="GJP"]

In Elliott Ward''s first season at Norwich he was first choice centreback, played pretty much every game and we got promoted to the Premier League. Yet that still wasn''t enough to win over some of the fans. And if he couldn''t do it then he''ll basically never have a chance of doing it, no matter how successful we are with him in the team.     Obviously Elliott Ward has his faults, most players do and at Norwich City you''re not going to get a team of world class players. However, he is still a good player and there is very little between him and any of the other defenders at the club.

[/quote]

[Y] Spot on.

The new manager is a new beginning for all these guys and he is giving them an oppertunity, I`m not Wards greatest fan but if can lift his game and feel confident then good on him! Good management!

[quote user="step"]Wardie has always divided opinion just like The Doc[/quote]There are some other odd similarities as well.Both played at the top level early in their careers but then dropped down a level, both spent significant time in the CCC and never managed to garner enough interest from prem clubs to move back up, and both have been guilty of looking off the pace and making bad errors at times (and occasionally having a decent game).Since leaving us Doc wasn''t snapped up by a CCC club, but instead stayed in L1 with Charlton and a year later was loaned to the mighty Wycombe where he helped them get relegated and has now been signed permanently by them. Rumours are that in a year or so he''ll hang his footy boots up for wrestling ones, and join our own Ricky Knight on the pro circuit whilst amazing all comers with his trademark "Bearhug Defence"...Personally I never rated Doherty (apparently neither did any other prem or CCC clubs), and I can see Ward going the same way and quickly dropping down the leagues over the next 2-3 years. I certainly don''t think he''s prem class however...

[quote user="Shack Attack"]In no other country do so many people fret over who is the captain of their team. They just expect that a reasonably experienced and senior player will take the job as has happened here. All he has to do is call heads or tails and organise the Christmas piss up [;)]
[/quote]

Surely they also have to decide whether to bat or bowl first, when bowling changes are to be made, fielding positions, when to use the DRS, etc, etc. 

[quote user="Gareth"][quote user="Gareth"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That should be ''then''

[/quote]

Actually it shouldn''t, ''than'' was used in the correct context in that sentence, deeming your correction incorrect.

Yours,

Grammar Police x

Sorry but EW pathetic attempt to cover at Stoke did it for me just not good enough for a Prem CB, plenty of other examples, surely Ward or Barnett must be out with Turner coming in, both made costly errors that cost us points.  Will not be sorry to see back of EW. 

I agree with the fact that CH coming in is a new beginning for all of the players and, therefore, they should all get their chance to prove themselves. However, if Ward continues to perform the way he did last season he will have to start at the bottom of the pecking order behind Turner, Bennett, Ayala, R Martin and Barnett.