Sign in to follow this  
Dexx

What Has Been Our Downfall?

Imo injures has not helped but what has been the main problem of our downfall the quality of our players or the manager and coaching staff ?

[quote]Imo injures has not helped but what has been the main problem of our downfall the quality of our players or the manager and coaching staff ?[/quote]

Easy answer to that one Dexx, all 3 are to blame, Manager, Players and Coaching Staff.

Unfortunately too many players havent been good enough and i do also feel that a handful havent been given a fair go..Helveg, Safri and too some extent, Doc too as he was playing better than most when dropped for Shackell.

And a few players seem to have been picked regardless of how well or badly they play..Edworthy, Holt and too some extent recently Francis too.

I dont think i expected it to be any easier tho. Perhaps with hindsight we went to long before we won our first game. I think had we won that game at Spurs then the confidence that gave would have seen us pick up a few more points.  I mean who wouldnt want even just 5 more points now!!!

Where to start?

We bought players in to make up the numbers, not improve the squad.

We didn''t get a goalscorer before the start of the season. I''m not a big fan of Crouch but we weren''t prepared to pay £2M at that time which is just being blinkered when it comes to buying players to compete in the top league. Looks like Southampton have really got the best out of him.

Worthy''s insistance on constantly playing the underachievers when there are other options available.

Trying to play attractive passing football against superior players when instead we should have been getting out foot in, closing down players and not giving teams room to play.

So it''s a bit of everything. At the start of the season I said we''d either be comfortable or fail miserably. Sadly it''s the one I wasn''t hoping for. Next season will be the big test of Worthy''s abilities as a manager as it will be a tougher league than this season and the introduction of the transfer window means any buys will have to be spot on.

Injuries just as we started to get the shape of the team right was THE devastating blow but it should not take 5 months to get to your best side and formation.

For me the main responsibility lies with a blinkered management and coaching staff who do not appear to recognise either the strengths or weaknesses of the players individually and play them in their best places or the team as a unit and/or are not able to rectify it on the training field or through tactics.

My main criticism of Iain Dowie is that he is one dimensional, of worthy it has to be his blinkeredness.

OTBC