Sign in to follow this  
rich

i'd respect worthy so much

if he was to step down now or at the end of the season. he must realise he''s out of his depth, do the decent thing nigel and step down while you still have some sort of legacy.

It won''t happen and I wouldn''t want it to. The Man In The Stand''s was spot on last week when he said that Worthy''s true test comes next season. The expectation will be huge and the summer in''s and out''s will shape where the club want to be

And I''d respect you so much more if you didnt spout so much rubbish!!!!

Seriously, where is it going to get us? Its one thing to get rid of him, but I dont think you realise how highly he is rated!

The fact that he has supposedly interested Man City means nothing to you? Or that he is capable of making good signings at a good price?

No one can deny the shrudeness of his transfers -

Holt - 100k

Francis - £250K

Charlton - £250K

Safri - £500K

Gallacher - nothing

Ward - £250K?

And there is more. I really want to know who all of you doubters think the club could get in to do a better job and be as if not more committed to the cause?

I am absoloutly fed up with all of the rubbish posted on here by supposed fans who only seem to have crawled out of the wood-work when we looked as if we were going to get promoted.

IT WAS ALLWAYS ON THE CARDS THAT WE WERE GOING TO FIND IT HARD TO STAY UP - TIME TO FACE THE FACTS PERHAPS?

His signings are that good none of them get a game . A breath of fresh air ? sorry watching Norwich now is about as exciting as watching grass grow , what surprises me is commentators still go on about our GOOD football , jesus we cant even pass to each other. If Worthington managed Palace they would be bottom , thats how good he is.

Abysmal, small struggling bottom of the table/potential Division 2 football club

+

Nigel Worthington

=

Premiership football club

Why do I get the feeling all the Worthy bashers out there weren''t following Norwich City Football Club home and away during the "dark days" of Megson, Rioch, Hamilton etc.

Stop making these ridiculous threads and go back to supporting Manure

[quote]if he was to step down now or at the end of the season. he must realise he''s out of his depth, do the decent thing nigel and step down while you still have some sort of legacy.[/quote]

I must say the 88th minutes tactical change was absolutely the SHOCK OF THE SEASON!!!!

[quote]And I''d respect you so much more if you didnt spout so much rubbish!!!! Seriously, where is it going to get us? Its one thing to get rid of him, but I dont think you realise how highly he is rated! ...[/quote]

Turkey, or whatever your name is....

You seem to have left Ashton out of your list.  Is £3 million for 2 goals not another Worthington bargain.  What about Doherty for a £1 million.  Worse defence in the League so obviously a shrewd signing by Worthy.

Charlton may well be worth £250,000 but that''s no where near what Malky MacKie was worth to the team and the way he was treated by the club was nothing shot of disgusting.

I saw Safri play in the Tottenham away game, although judging by the accuracy of his passing it could have been Stevie Wonder.

Gallacher and Ward have kept the subs bench warm for most of the season, so £250,000 is a lot of money for a hot water bottle.

How or why people support the  club is irrelevant they pay their money and they''re entitled to voice an opinion.

DD and friends - if you really think that Nigel has done us proud this season, then your yellow and green tinted spectacles are even more powerful than usual!

Whilst I appreciate the true test of his mettle will be whether he can get us promoted straight back up next season - he has quite obviously failed to cut it in the Premiership this season and his continued "the lads did well, played nice football and were unlucky" routine is getting beyond a joke - as is his reliance on players who quite patently can''t cut the mustard in the Premiership (Fleming as player of the season anyone?).   And I agree with Premier 1 - fantastic signings - what the hell has happened to half the players he bought - he refuses to play them!

I can understand now why Palace are, at the moment, managing to keep their heads above the water - they have a manager who at least appears to have the tactical nouse and the passion to keep his players in the Premiership.

Do I think Worthy should go?  No - I don''t believe that the managerial merry-go-round will do the club any good at all, but should he continue in the same vein and if he fails to learn the lessons of this season and SHOW that he has done so, then it would be time to take another look at the situation.

ps:   But if he does do that "we were unlucky" routine one more time I may be persuaded to join the Worthy Out brigade!

Why oh why do some of you posters keep going on about what Worthy has done? Its in the past for gawwwwwwwwwds sake! What is important is the present and the future. Maybe Worthy would be good enough to get us promoted next season,but would you really want him in charge for our next season in the Prem? I wouldnt thats for sure ! You cant keep living in the past otherwise Malky and Roberts would still be playing for City. Its time for a complete change of management and backroom staff and definatley a change of our non performing players. So lets say for instance Holt,Fleming,Doc & co all stay with us next season in the fizzy league and they all have a blinding season (obviously Hucks will shine again skipping past some 37yr old defender),would you want those same players playing for us again in the Prem the following season? You know the ones that have been constantly s***e this season and have had some real  stick on the boards. Of course you will,because your so flaming blind that you still live in the past,not the present and future!

Its time to get real,we have had our chance in the Prem.It was never going to be easy and at best i was hoping we could finnish 4th from bottom.Yesterdays game just about summed the players up,the manager up  and our season.

A large percentage of the players are not worthy,the backroom staff are not worthy and most of all Worthy is not worthy!

Beds Canary you are another one with a poor memory. You cite Hamilton and Rioch as examples of bad management but you conveniently forget that Worthington was part of their setup.

Here we go again! We are the ones being unrealistic because we supposedly refuse to see the facts, blah blah blah. If anyones record is broken its people like you.

Most people on this board accepted over the summer and at the beggining of the season that should we stay up it would be a very close run thing. Out of the teams that came up we were in the most financial difficulty, we also had the smallest squad and still do. WBA had to be the favourites to stay up because of the experience of their previous trip up to the prem.

Who is it that is being totally unrealistic. If it was up to people like you we would have just about a team to put out every game and no manager to run it. Fantastic!

By the way £3 million for Ashton is a good deal. He is 20 and therefore like Barry Fry allways says, is an uncut diamond. His learning experience is not yet finnished. However we already know that he is good enough to bang 20 odd goals a season in. He has done it for the last two seasons (including this season before his move).

I am not sure that it is worthington that cant cut it in the premiership or the squad. I think like many people have suggested that he has done well with what he has got. He shipped out all of the dead wood a couple of seasons ago and I think it may be about to happen again. To make it in the premiership you need a squad that is made up of players that you know can make it in this division and at least play some sort of role.

However, the squad we have was mainly built around gaining promotion and it was allways going to be a couple of seasons before we had a squad capable of maintaining premiership status. Funnily enough you cant start to build a premiership club untill you get there. You need the money and security of sorts to bring in those bigger players.

Dowie is a fantastic manager, a one in a million - but not much was known about his managerial capabilities untill he went to Palace. And as I have said before, I think they were under-achieving when he picked them up. You have real quality players in there. AJ, Hughes a player who can pull the strings in midfield and tackle, Routledge, Hiraly, Granville. A lot of that squad have premiership experience, where as ours havent. I think at the beggining of the season only Fleming, Edworthy and Svensson had experience at this level. And by that I mean more than one premiership game to their name.

So just who is it who has a pair of blinkers on exactly?

[quote]if he was to step down now or at the end of the season. he must realise he''s out of his depth, do the decent thing nigel and step down while you still have some sort of legacy.[/quote]

Very well said Rich. I totally agree with you by the way.

Try to ignore the missing links jibes and insults mate, or remember when those posters who do that kind of thing they are really starting to lose the arguement.

No, we won''t go support Manure or anyone else.

No, we didn''t just start to support City when they got promoted, I''ve followed and supported them for 49 years!.

No, we won''t shut up!.

If this helps deflect some flack from you, I''m pleased. Us more enlightened ones have to stick together now, so bring it on!.

[quote]Here we go again! We are the ones being unrealistic because we supposedly refuse to see the facts, blah blah blah. If anyones record is broken its people like you. Most people on this board accepted ...[/quote]

Its not being bottom that bothers me so much chicken, Its the manner in how we got there!

Shipped out the dead wood did he?, then why are Holt, Mullers, WLYP and Fleming still here?.

They seem pretty twiggy to me mate.

"Its not being bottom that bothers me so much as the manner in which we got there!"

Goodness me, Wiz, this is getting worrying - this will be the second time in a couple of days that I''ve agreed with something you''ve posted! If we had given it a real go, at least we would have some pride. The way in which a number of players have ''rolled over'' in the past few weeks is the biggest disappointment.  

I think you''ll find the answer to that in my last post if you read into it more.

I think that although the players you have brought up may not be premiership players they are players that can do more than well in the Championship.

It was never going to be a whole-sale clear out after promotion because we simply dont have the money to buy an entirely new squad and by that I mean buy eleven to fouteen new players.

And it was allways clear that that was the case and that we would struggle this season should injury rob us of any influential players.

Its fair to say that the chances are that the Irish boys will probably be on their way this summer. The only player out of the two that may stay due to lack of players in the wide positions is McVeigh, now he is a player I am really disappointed in. Not because he is not good enough but because everyone knows he is but by Worthingtons own admission has simply not put in the effort behind the scenes.

Also I think Doc cost us £750k, and seeing that is £50k cheaper than Malky I think it is a good buy. He isnt the fastest but is faster than Makay ever was and also has more composure on the ball. Malky I''m afraid, like Iwan, was simply not up for this level of football. In fact had Kenton not left I have a feeling he may have gone sooner. He played regularily as many seasons for us as hed spent sitting on the bench, at least the Doc has done his best to get into the team.

Fleming looked good last season, but as people have brought up has a major weakness in his pace. Shackell makes up for that and last night stood out incredibly as a very mature and confident defender. There are players we would all like to see more of like Safri but I think you will find there were reasons why they didnt start.

If we can hold onto the main core of this team I dont see why we cant build on it and have some more quality signings in the summer. I quite like the idea that Worthington will pull another couple out of the hat like Francis - to think that two seasons ago hardly anyone had heard of him!

I just think that people have been wrong in assuming that it was going to be easier to stay up. For me the first half of the season we did well, but injuries have really cost us as Bently was showing that he has that edge of creativity that can win us matches. Helveg was coming good and Safri had put in some good displays.

I just dont think you can complain about the overall quality of the squad when it is the best we could have got together. I also think that we did well not to sign Crouch, Southamptom paid £2 million for him but as he was a prem player already the signing on fee and agents fee would have been higher. I am not sure that he would have made a difference to where we are at the moment. You need sound wingers who will cross in good balls, something that we lack at the moment.

Also he hadnt exactly performed in the past and so was a bit of a risky bet. Many people on this site including those now saying we should have signed him had to eat their hats after saying at the beggining of the season he wasnt up to prem football.

I dont think it is realistic to think that at anypoint in the last 18 months we could have made whole-sale changes to the squad when we lack the finances to replace those that go. This summer as many people have suggested will really be the test for Worthy. He has longer to assemble a better and deeper squad that is not only capable of winning promotion but possibly better equipped to survive in the premiership.

I think the team this season was really the result of a squad built around 1st division safety and good enough to challenge for promotion. I dont think that one season is long enough to drastically change the squad enough to get a really good chance of staying up in this div.

To me it just seems that many people have forgotton these facts and the things said during the summer as well as when we got

What can''t be denied is that most of our performances have been poor, in terms of organisation, tactics and discipline (not just skill level, which of course we''re lacking). For the odd game, it''s not always easy to decide whether that''s the manager''s fault or the players'', but when it''s 25 games or so, you have to blame the manager and coaches. Having said that, we have to allow Worthy the chance to learn - he''s a young manager, he got us here when we had no right to expect it, and we were never going to stay up this time anyway. It''s then up to him - if he shows that he''s learning, if he improves the coaching side, the Academy, the reserves and the scouting, then he''s the man for Norwich. If he doesn''t, then he should go, or revert to being a coach. But we must give him the respect he deserves for what he''s done for the club so far.

I suppose I should reply seeing as I started all this but I don''t want to ruin a nice sunday, 

but a few quick points.

A:Because I don''t agree with the manager, the way he''s running the club, then I don''t support the team and must support ipswich. that''s so pathetic it''s untrue. think about why I''m upset, why I care, why I''m angry and not on the blueun(or whatever the hang the ipswich website is.) what freedom of speech?

B: Dumbledelia I''ll think you''ll find at no one point in time have I believed worthy was right for the job.  i give him three benefits of the doubt, one when he came, two after the playoff final when we looked like losing it totally and three in the summer after the promotion when I hoped he''d prove me wrong for all our sakes. My judgement hasn''t changed, I''ve just got more proof.

C: chicken and I go way back in disagreements, so i''ll take what he has to stay with a pinch of salt. no pun intended there. I think you want to reassess the signings and ask how many are good signings. And then ask is a manager who can buys players a good manager, it''s easier in division one to buy some quality players, harder at the next level. the true test comes in tactics, coaching,player skills. 

oh and i''ll think you''ll find worthington never once enterted the running for the man city job (I have a very close friend works on the MEN) and his stock is not as high as he or you think. hey peter reid keeps getting jobs what does that prove.

d: I appreciate the comments first wiz, and the support from others like premier1, I won''t go anywhere because I''m just starting to see some things filter through. there''s an ever increasing amount of dissent on here and that''s not going anywhere until the club do some things to sort out our future.

e: By the way just because I did well in my gcse''s doesn''t mean I did well in my A-Levels, think about it. things change.

rich

I am caught between the devil and the deep blue sea on this one.

Like Rich I have always thought that Worthy was the wrong man with the wrong tactics, and too closely associated with the darkest days of the club, for a footballing NCFC from the day he was appointed.  However what he has acheived has been remarkable.  And each time I think he has taken us as far as he can (at the end of the disappointing post-Millenium season for example) he digs deeps and takes the club forward yet again.  Once again I am seriously questioning whether worthy is the right man for the club - and despite what some posters think asking that question is not an act of treason akin to buying a Portaloo Road season ticket.

However I also see that clubs that make real mid to long term progress are the clubs that do NOT chop and change their managers on a whim.   Look at the relegated clubs that have gotten into difficulty and the changing of manager every 18 months or so - it leaves them dropping down the table and then leagues with mounting debts.   Clubs that have made progress have either had a sugar daddy (Boro, Chelsea, Portsmouth,Birmingham) or have a stable management (Charlton, Bolton - possibly Derby in a couple of years...)  As we dont have the former I answer first question with a second and third;  can worthy get us back up and if not who is going to do a job for us?

Worthy has shown he can get out of the fizzy pop - he understands the demands that leagues mentatlity and frequency put on a squad and how to succeed in it - whereas Gordon Strachan has no experience of that league but knows what it takes to keep a squad on its toes during a prem season where there are weeks without matches.  Signing Strachan would create enormous expectation and also require another season for him to get the ball rolling. 

One balance I am still not convinced by Worthy (why does he sign Irish players when he argues with every one he has signed???) but think that for next season he IS a better option that most alternatives - but the spotlight is firmly on him and a significant improvement is required.

OTBC