Sign in to follow this  
ryan1992

Michael Turner

why the lack of enthusiasm? 28yrs old  over 100 games in the premiership so very experienced scores a few goals and in last year of his contract so will be a decent price. Seem just the type of player we need to bolster the squad and help our young defenders

Happy with this signing, a good experienced Prem centre back, 28 is around the peak of his career and being in the last year of his contract the suggested 2 million fee is a bargain. Everyone seems to have been screaming out for a prem expereinced central defender and it looks like weve just gone out and got one. Hes not pacey but the Sunderland fans seem to think fairly high of him.

I think people are right we still need a left back, I like Lappin but by his own admission he just "does a job" in that position and really you need 2 dedicated players in each position in the prem. I agree with many that we need another striker, but Hughton may disagree on that, especially if Vaughan stays fit.

If Snoddy and Turner come in we have spent approx 6 millionish based on the fee estimates (1 mil Butterfield, 2 Mil Turner, 3 mil Snodgrass) plus whatever signing on fee we paid Whittaker. Should leave plenty left for a LB and a Striker plus Davies if Hughton really wants him.

I would say you haven''t got a clue.

[quote user="NCFCgardener"]

Not excited by this at all, really worried about what looks like a change in transfer policy.  Butterfield, Snodgrass.. Fine but looks like they were identified long ago before Hughton came along.

Whittaker and Turner... not so fine.  Are they any better than what we already have?? I dont think so, in fact I would say they are worse. 

[/quote]

We already have a load of young players, the ones you mentioned.  Enough "future" already, now we need some experience - Turner fits that bill to play alongside the younger centrebacks and Snodgrass is a quality midfielder.Sorry but you are a tit.

What would excite me??... someone young, full of potential for the future, Bennett, Bennett, Howson, Pilks, Ayala, Butterfied for example.

What doesnt excite me is a 28 year old who is injury prone and seen as surplus to requirements by one of the most experienced premier league managers. 

Feels (To me) like we are just trying to get bodies in for the sake of it, not building for the future.

[/quote]

I''m not personaly too happy about Turner move, but he is decent player. Just would like to see real improvement instead of buying player that is "extra" for other team that is fighting with us for same position in prem table.

I would have liked to see someone like Ron Vlaar or Niklas Moisander that are bit more faster as we have quite many tall and slow CB''s.

(Niklas Moisander was AZ Alkmaars captain and better rated previous season than Vlaar if someone wonders why I added his name there).

Anyway I''m quite sure that Turner will be better than Whitbread was and that is quite lot to ask as Whitbread was probably our best defender previous season. Too bad Turner doesn''t have left as his primary foot.

Still keeping fingers crossed we get someone a bit more high profile than him. Bennett and Ayala can be our future, but before they really are that I would like to see someone that we can really trust in every game for next few years as our main defender and Turner wont fit that place in my books.

Hopefuly I''m utterly wrong with this opinion and in any case as said he has been quite solid performer. I''m just bit concerned his lack of speed if we play like we played previous season.

What would excite me??... someone young, full of potential for the future, Bennett, Bennett, Howson, Pilks, Ayala, Butterfied for example.

What doesnt excite me is a 28 year old who is injury prone and seen as surplus to requirements by one of the most experienced premier league managers. 

Feels (To me) like we are just trying to get bodies in for the sake of it, not building for the future.

[/quote]

Well since we have Bennett, Bennett, Howson, Pilks, Ayala, Butterfield and probably Snodgrass there is still plenty for you to be excited about then! Trouble with teams full of exciting young players is that exciting young players can be inconsistent and sometime you just need an experienced older campaigner or two alongside them. If Turner is that then thats fine by me. I have high hopes for both R Bennett and Ayala but am not sure we can risk playing the two of them together on a regular basis yet.

I''m happy with this, I''ve always thought he was a talented player and he worked his way up the divisions which is an impressive trait of many in our squad...

...Plus, he''s a local lad (to me)...salt of the earth and all that. ;0)

Turner is just the sort of player and signing we need as an option in CD.

Experienced at this level, capable, enough nous to talk our younger players through a game, a scenario, a bad patch.

Perfect for Ayala and Bennett to play alongside and learn from-and not always the technical aspects of the game or how to play/run the ball out of defence and ping a 30 yard pass to Pilks or Benno but to be able to look after yourself, communicate and know your job and role in the team and, if necc, to hoof the ball over the stand rather than play the suicidal backpass that might look good but can lead to a penalty, goal, chance for the opposition.

He''s the sort of player we need for the muck and blood aspect of the game, the getting stuck in and hanging on in there. No nonsense. A good aquisition and someone Liverpool were prepared to pay a lot of money for not so long ago-so he''s  more than capable.

Good work, Hughton must have identified him from the off as he was never mentioned as a target under the previous management. Hughton should know a decent defender when he sees one, ditto Calderwood. Pleased with this one.

[quote user="kellybrook"]I would say you haven''t got a clue.

Not excited by this at all, really worried about what looks like a change in transfer policy.  Butterfield, Snodgrass.. Fine but looks like they were identified long ago before Hughton came along.

Whittaker and Turner... not so fine.  Are they any better than what we already have?? I dont think so, in fact I would say they are worse. 

[/quote][/quote]

No need to be offensive, a forum is for discussion, everyone is entitled to an opinion, if you dont agree, thats fine but dont start name calling, thats for the playground.

name calling ?

please point out the name that was used

as to Turner it''s about time we had a solid settled back two

the great teams of yore always had the same reliable two

If I remember correctly, so many NCFC fans were getting quite worried at the start of last season, because we weren''t singing players with experience. It was something that was discussed all throughout the season, now we sign one, probably two experienced defenders, our worst area last season, a few fans are still moaning because we need ''young and hungry'' players...

I saw one comment on this thread, about ''exciting'' players, so really you were that exited about two League One wingers, who hadn''t even played Championship football? But the thought of adding an experienced premiership CB into our leaky defence is just not good enough? Very strange indeed...

No one is saying stop buying young players (and this ''hungry'' term is getting way overused), but I would think its fair to say Hughton has come in and decided to help get rid of some of our mistakes from last season we need a bit more experience. Out whole squad only has one years premiership experience each.

And what young defenders who are better than what we''ve got, within our price range, would those who don''t like the idea of Turner recommend?

[quote user="kellybrook"]We already have a load of young players, the ones you mentioned.  Enough "future" already, now we need some experience - Turner fits that bill to play alongside the younger centrebacks and Snodgrass is a quality midfielder.Sorry but you are a tit.

[/quote][/quote]

Sorry, quoted wrong post " you are a tit" is an insult.

[quote user="Gingerpele"] And what young defenders who are better than what we''ve got, within our price range, would those who don''t like the idea of Turner recommend?[/quote]
I''m happy enough with the Turner signing (and Whittaker looked excellent last night til he got injured) too. I would say that I would have preferred Damien Perquis from Sochaux to Turner though, would guess fee and wages would be fairly similar.

Can''t believe some people are slating this guy, he''s a perfect replacement for Whitbread!

We also have to be realistic a bit. The squad was short of about 6 players - Given some players obviously aren''t going to make the final squad. You can''t find 6 promising players and hope to spend less than say 20-25mil, so some players will be cheap and some players won''t be.

I''m gonna bet there are at least 2 more signings coming before the window closes.

I''ll also bet that by the time transfer fees, signing on fees and wages are taken account of, it will be the biggest budget.

[quote user="AJ"]Can''t believe some people are slating this guy, he''s a perfect replacement for Whitbread![/quote]
Agreed, he''s a decent addition and adds much needed experience to the backline.

Taking everything into account, this certainly appears to be a good signing, adding depth and strength to our squad in a key area. He has good experience at this level which will be crucial. Yep, a sensible and realistic signing and one that keeps what cash we have for a signing like Snodgrass and hopefully some leftover in case there is a fee for one or two others. 

How do people not know who he is, at Hull he was exceptional in their premier season. The season before he held a solid defence to promotion. At the time he was the flavour of the month with Liverpool interested prior to his move to sunderland.I think he will be a perfect centre half to bring in and address that need at centre half. Long term who knows, but right now a very good signing who can still flourish, lets hope he can stay injury free but very good player

This is a good signing when he first went there from Hull, he looked a more than decent player. We have two good young centre backs in Ayala and Bennett and Turner brings in some valuable premier league experience. I would expect his style to be abit more no nonsense than our other centre backs.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Experienced at this level, capable, enough nous to talk our younger players through a game, a scenario, a bad patch.Perfect for Ayala and Bennett to play alongside and learn from-and not always the technical aspects of the game or how to play/run the ball out of defence and ping a 30 yard pass to Pilks or Benno but to be able to look after yourself, communicate and know your job and role in the team and, if necc, to hoof the ball over the stand rather than play the suicidal backpass that might look good but can lead to a penalty, goal, chance for the opposition.[/quote]This.Neither Ward nor Barnett are good enough for regular games at this level and R.Bennett and Ayala both really need to learn from a proven prem defender and Turner will fit the bill perfectly.Was outstanding for Hull and hasn''t done anything wrong in his time at Sunderland. Sounds like a model pro who''s been a tad unlucky at times with injuries and this move could be just the ticket to see him back to his best.For the sort of money we''re reported to have paid I think it''s a strong signing by the club and one we''ll be praising very quickly if all goes well.

I also think this is a good signing and strengthens an already strong squad. I suspect that Barnett will leave or go out on loan now. If Snodgrass signs, that will still leave a spare space in the squad - two if Crofts should leave or go out on loan.

I hate him! 

Which means it''s a good signing, he always seems to have a pretty good game when I''ve seen him play and he just seemed to be in the way to stop our attacks when we played against him.

Great signing!

so this is the "premier league experience" signing ADHD clowns like Wiz have been banging on about for the last 2 years.

I''m guessing the reality is not quite as sexy as their delusions...

I have a good mate who supports Sunderland.

Says he''d be disappointed to see Turner leave them, and would rather we bought Titus Bramble. Hahaha!