Sign in to follow this  
ryan1992

Michael Turner

Wouldn''t be unhappy with this. He''s a no nonsense centre back, strong & experienced coming into his prime. I recall him being superb when Hull stayed up. Could be a good partner for Ayala/Bennett.

Not excited by this at all, really worried about what looks like a change in transfer policy.  Butterfield, Snodgrass.. Fine but looks like they were identified long ago before Hughton came along.

Whittaker and Turner... not so fine.  Are they any better than what we already have?? I dont think so, in fact I would say they are worse. 

[quote user="NCFCgardener"]

Not excited by this at all, really worried about what looks like a change in transfer policy.  Butterfield, Snodgrass.. Fine but looks like they were identified long ago before Hughton came along.

Whittaker and Turner... not so fine.  Are they any better than what we already have?? I dont think so, in fact I would say they are worse. 

[/quote]

An experienced PL defender who was worth £4m in 2009?

Sunderland fans claim that he is a very reliable CB and are dissapointed to see him leave. Just the sort of signing I was hoping for. An experienced, solid defender that doesn''t make silly mistakes, he sounds like the pefect candidate to play alongside either Bennett or Ayala.  [<:o)]

Michael Turner has a lot of promise at Hull and was a standout player when they were in the prem. He''s been caught out by a change of manager at Sunderland, who probably isn''t as much of a fan as Steve Bruce. Norwich could be a good move as there''s a bit less expectation than Sunderland...

Whittaker has had decent reports in the friendly games sofar, by all accounts. Only time will tell!

Hughton is definitely adding experience, which is no bad thing as we certainly lack that.

Don''t know much about him, wiki doesn''t show him in a great light, although doing well with Hull, knee injuries seemed to plague his time at sunderland - lets hope he''s over the worst of it

Gardener what are you whingeing about? You''d rather have had Sergio Ramos...? Well he was just outside our price range...

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="NCFCgardener"]

[/quote]

An experienced PL defender who was worth £4m in 2009?

Exactly Joanna (any relation to Jean Grey?).  Bit of a beast. Strong commanding and no nonsense.  Bit of a rich man''s Nelson perhaps?  We have been wanting more presence at the back and support for Bennett and Ayala to learn their trade.  What''s not too like?  As for Whittaker, Scottish international and plenty of experience.  Also very adaptable.  Why not see what he''s like before writing him off?

[/quote]

[/quote]

How do you know they are worse?   Why would a successful, experienced  manager buy ''worse'' players?  

What would excite you? 

The squad is being strengthened - isn''t that enough?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="NCFCgardener"]

[/quote]

How do you know they are worse?   Why would a successful, experienced  manager buy ''worse'' players?  

What would excite you? 

The squad is being strengthened - isn''t that enough?

[/quote]

I am very pleased with this signing. Turner is a very solid, experienced PL centre back and 6''4" tall.

What would excite me??... someone young, full of potential for the future, Bennett, Bennett, Howson, Pilks, Ayala, Butterfied for example.

What doesnt excite me is a 28 year old who is injury prone and seen as surplus to requirements by one of the most experienced premier league managers. 

Feels (To me) like we are just trying to get bodies in for the sake of it, not building for the future.

Sky Sports reporting the medical at Norwich:

"Sky Sports sources understand Sunderland defender Michael Turner is currently undergoing a medical at Norwich City.

Turner has made 77 appearances for the Black Cats since joining from Hull City in 2009 and he featured 24 times in the Premier League last season.

The centre-half was a regular under Martin O''Neill in the second half of the campaign, but it appears that the Sunderland manager is prepared to let the 28-year-old move on.

He was linked with a return to Hull earlier in the summer, but new Tigers boss, and former Sunderland chief, Steve Bruce, doubted Turner would come back to the KC Stadium.

A deal to remain in the Premier League is now in the pipeline for Turner, who has travelled to Norwich to have a medical."

What would excite me??... someone young, full of potential for the future, Bennett, Bennett, Howson, Pilks, Ayala, Butterfied for example.

What doesnt excite me is a 28 year old who is injury prone and seen as surplus to requirements by one of the most experienced premier league managers. 

Feels (To me) like we are just trying to get bodies in for the sake of it, not building for the future.

[/quote]

Id like to be proven wrong though!

[/quote]

Lol think you will find he played most of his games after O''Neills arrival

Sounds like all of Sunderland''s CBs are much of a muchness according to their fans.  Still, least he''s a big unit with a bit of experience.  On paper looks like a better player than Whitbread who we released.

GaryRowellsWorld, thanks for the link.

Consensus on your forum seems to be that he''s a good defender, but injury-prone, slow ("Tugboat Turner") and not the greatest distribution.

Nice to hear he''s more highly rated than Tit(us) Bramble.

Don''t we already have a Turner type player in Ward?

To be honest if this is at the right price than great, but I didn''t think we needed another CB, Barnett, Ward, Ayala, Bennett and Martin, now we have the poterntial of Turner! We need a left back! Naughton on loan again!

If we buy Snodders, we have Butterfield, so to very good signings, and two if this comes off with added value to the squad! We have two very good young CB in Ayala and Bennett, so an experienced player will be good for their development!

I would still like to see C Martin out and Rhodes in! that would complete a very good summer......

[quote user="fried_chicken"]

Sunderland fans claim that he is a very reliable CB and are dissapointed to see him leave. Just the sort of signing I was hoping for. An experienced, solid defender that doesn''t make silly mistakes, he sounds like the pefect candidate to play alongside either Bennett or Ayala.  [<:o)]

[/quote]

Just the experienced centre back we need and I think we may be getting him at a very good price given that only has one year left on his Sunderland contract.  61 starts at Sunderland and a season with Hull in the Premiership.  6'' 4" tall  29 in November.

[quote user="Indy"]

To be honest if this is at the right price than great, but I didn''t think we needed another CB, Barnett, Ward, Ayala, Bennett and Martin, now we have the poterntial of Turner! We need a left back! Naughton on loan again!

If we buy Snodders, we have Butterfield, so to very good signings, and two if this comes off with added value to the squad! We have two very good young CB in Ayala and Bennett, so an experienced player will be good for their development!

I would still like to see C Martin out and Rhodes in! that would complete a very good summer......

[/quote]I still think we need a striker and Huddersfield are reported today to want Vaughan so maybe we could do a player cash deal for Rhodes . As for Turner does this mean the end of the Curtis Davies interest ? Hughton had said he was keen on him but i cannot see another CB coming in without offloading one or two.

[quote user="Ncfc"][quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]I still think we need a striker and Huddersfield are reported today to want Vaughan so maybe we could do a player cash deal for Rhodes . As for Turner does this mean the end of the Curtis Davies interest ? Hughton had said he was keen on him but i cannot see another CB coming in without offloading one or two.[/quote]
If i had a choice i would like to see Davies come in too, with Barnett leaving (perhaps on loan), leaving us with:
Cb
Bennett, Ayala, Turner, Ward, Davies
Rb
Whittaker
Martin
Lb
Tierney
Lappin
In all honesty, with our budget, that is probably one too many CB, considering our RBs can fill in there too, but i have concerns with Ward at this level and Ayala is still very inexperienced. So i really don''t know if this will end our interest in Davies, i think there is a chance we could still make a move, bringing in a young LB on loan.
Defence is our biggest concern from last season but if we are looking to bring a striker in then i imagine that will absorb most of our budget.

Seems to be a decent signing, a player with a bit of experience but I don''t think he''ll be that much better than what we already have so seeing as he''s already a PL player I hope we''ve not broken our ''wage structure'' for him.

[quote user="Ncfc"]

I still think we need a striker and Huddersfield are reported today to want Vaughan so maybe we could do a player cash deal for Rhodes . As for Turner does this mean the end of the Curtis Davies interest ? Hughton had said he was keen on him but i cannot see another CB coming in without offloading one or two.
[/quote]

Have you seen the report in the press re Vaughan? Its laughable........Huddersfield want Vaughan on loan to prove his fitness and then sign him for £1m.

If he is fit and scoring why would we sell him for £1m?!?!?

[quote user="NCFCgardener"][quote user="NCFCgardener"]

[/quote]

Id like to be proven wrong though!

[/quote]

Why is building a squad for the future so important? its not necessary that are players in 5 years time are all the same as what we have now, nor that we need to be able to sell each player at a profit later on.

I think we could agree that for whatever price we are paying for Turner you would not get a 20 year old with the same ability. Yes you''d get far more potential but what if Turners contribution this year amounts to us avoiding relegation? How exactly are you defining building for the future?