Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Paving the way for Howson / Pilks exits?

Imminent arrival of Snodgrass means we will have *10* ''midfield'' players in the squad and that excludes Korey and the King of Spain!

Of those here at end of last seaason I think most would agree that all bar Crofts acquited themselves to varying degress of Premiership competence with Howson looking a nailed on class player. Now of course we need cover and competition but 10 players to (logically) cover 4 positions? Sorry that doesn''t stand up. Unfortunately that can only lead to one thing and I fear ''big money'' sales of Pilkington and (more worringly) Howson. Even if they all stay, how on earth will we keep all 10 (or 9 if Crofts is shipped out) happy?

Maybe, just maybe if we could raise some serious cash for, say, Pilkington and re-invest that in a decent striker then it might work. Holt and possibly Morrison apart, we are seriously weak and unreliable upfront.

There are weaker players than Howson/Pilks, these are the players the team is improving with, they are the future. WE DO NOT NEED TO SELL.

Hughton may well play 5 in "midfield", or 4 midfielders with a withdrawn striker.

Snodgrass, Hoolahan or Butterfield could well play the withdrawn striker role.

Crofts is unlikely to feature and might well be transferred. Chris Martin ditto.

The personnel on the way out or struggling to get in the team could therefore be strikers (Vaughan, Jackson) just as well as midfielders, and in fact that is what I think is more likely to happen. So I don''t see Snodgrass''s arrival as anything sinister as regards Howson & Pilkington.

I think after the 4-6-0 formation patented by Spain, it''s clear that Holt, Vaughan, Morison and Jackson will all be sold with Chris Martin staying as he can play in midfield as well as attack.  We will presumably now try to sign another couple of midfielders and give Tom Adeyemi a full time contract.

I''d argue that we''re going to play 5 in midfield a lot this season with various creative & dynamic midfield players crucial behind a lone striker.

I''d also argue we need another midfield anchor, Johnson for me is limited in possession although there are few better at harrying opposition.

Fox, Johnson, Howson & possibly another holding players if we''re using 2 central.

Butterfield, Hoolahan & Surman as well if we''re using 3.

Pilkington, Bennett & Snodgrass out-wide as well as Surman, Hoolahan & Butterfield in different systems.

Crofts & Lappin will probably go, Smith/Adeyemi out on loan.

Its a squad game & the key to our success is flexibility & rotation.

WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU ON ABOUT???!!!

I love how some fans view things. we''ve been told we have a big budget for the year, and that includes wages. why do we need to see the back of Howson, one of our best players with a massive future and Pilkington who is also showing signs of a very bright future. There futures could well be here, so why does bringing in a player such as Snodgrass mean we are going to ship the top players out? surely its more likely we will sell off players such as Crofts and Korey as within those midfiles players we have versatile players such as Lappin who I think we may see more in a left back berth this year. There will definitely be players on the way out but why would we sell big performers such as howson and Pilks?

[quote user="nu_matik"]WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU ON ABOUT???!!! I love how some fans view things. we''ve been told we have a big budget for the year, and that includes wages. why do we need to see the back of Howson, one of our best players with a massive future and Pilkington who is also showing signs of a very bright future. There futures could well be here, so why does bringing in a player such as Snodgrass mean we are going to ship the top players out? surely its more likely we will sell off players such as Crofts and Korey as within those midfiles players we have versatile players such as Lappin who I think we may see more in a left back berth this year. There will definitely be players on the way out but why would we sell big performers such as howson and Pilks?[/quote]

think its called Scare mongering and Attention seeking

[quote user="nu_matik"]WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU ON ABOUT???!!!

I love how some fans view things. we''ve been told we have a big budget for the year, and that includes wages. why do we need to see the back of Howson, one of our best players with a massive future and Pilkington who is also showing signs of a very bright future. There futures could well be here, so why does bringing in a player such as Snodgrass mean we are going to ship the top players out? surely its more likely we will sell off players such as Crofts and Korey as within those midfiles players we have versatile players such as Lappin who I think we may see more in a left back berth this year. There will definitely be players on the way out but why would we sell big performers such as howson and Pilks?[/quote]

Why? Cos they would bring in some serious cash that''s why! I don''t want it to happen (particularly Howson), just saying I think it could be on the cards. Maybe Hoolahan then and not Howson - either way someone as well as Crofts will be gone by the deadline. We''re top heavy with midfielders but weak upfront. Not rocket science is it?     

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="nu_matik"]WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU ON ABOUT???!!! I love how some fans view things. we''ve been told we have a big budget for the year, and that includes wages. why do we need to see the back of Howson, one of our best players with a massive future and Pilkington who is also showing signs of a very bright future. There futures could well be here, so why does bringing in a player such as Snodgrass mean we are going to ship the top players out? surely its more likely we will sell off players such as Crofts and Korey as within those midfiles players we have versatile players such as Lappin who I think we may see more in a left back berth this year. There will definitely be players on the way out but why would we sell big performers such as howson and Pilks?[/quote]

[/quote]AKA ''Wizzing''.......

I wonder whether some of us have had rather too much sun today?!

As expected, we appear to be making some positive moves in the transfer market - which will enable the club to allow some players out on loan or perhaps sell certain others. How on earth would that herald the departure of Howson or Pilks though? Mind you, if it were megabucks being offered...

Lets remember, it wasn''t that long ago we had few (if any) players any other team wanted to buy! How things change eh?

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

I wonder whether some of us have had rather too much sun today?!

As expected, we appear to be making some positive moves in the transfer market - which will enable the club to allow some players out on loan or perhaps sell certain others. How on earth would that herald the departure of Howson or Pilks though? Mind you, if it were megabucks being offered...

Lets remember, it wasn''t that long ago we had few (if any) players any other team wanted to buy! How things change eh?

[/quote]

My point exactly - pity others don''t follow the same logic.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I''d argue that we''re going to play 5 in midfield a lot this season with various creative & dynamic midfield players crucial behind a lone striker.

I''d also argue we need another midfield anchor, Johnson for me is limited in possession although there are few better at harrying opposition.

Fox, Johnson, Howson & possibly another holding players if we''re using 2 central.

Butterfield, Hoolahan & Surman as well if we''re using 3.

Pilkington, Bennett & Snodgrass out-wide as well as Surman, Hoolahan & Butterfield in different systems.

Crofts & Lappin will probably go, Smith/Adeyemi out on loan.

Its a squad game & the key to our success is flexibility & rotation.[/quote]

You seriously think we need ANOTHER midfielder!!

May be the midfield part of the  25 man squad includes:

Pilkington

Bennett

Snodgrass (if signed)

Johnson

Fox

Howson

Butterfield

Surman

Hoolahan

------------------

Lappin being the second left back in the squad unless he gets replaced

-------------------

Smith goes out on loan to a Championship side?

------------------

Crofts is made available for transfer / loan

Yellow Rider - you can''t have too many quality players ... especially in the middle of the park.

Injuries, suspensions, loss of form and the need for variable formations will all take their toll during a tough season.

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]AKA ''Wizzing''....... [/quote]
I completely agree that we have no reason to sell, but it''s not hard to imagine a situation where a silly bid does come in for one of our players. Joe Allen could be sold for £15M after a good season in the prem, there is nothing to say a bid like that wont come in for Howson or Pilkington next summer, if i did then it would be very hard to turn down, but until we are seeing silly money for lour players we have no reason to sell whatsoever!

So many options in the middle of the park.

Snodgrass, Pilkington, Bennett for the wings

Surman, Fox, Howson, BJ in the centre

Wes and Butterfield in the ''free role''

Korey, Crofts, Lappin back up.

Still feel like we are missing that one real enforcer though. 

I think it''s far more likely we see Crofts, Korey and King Simone out the door before Pilks and Howson. 
I think if anyone else goes, we may lose Fox to Villa to be honest, Lambert obviously likes him and although I wouldn''t like to see him go as I think he''s a decent player, I have to say I dont think we specifically NEED him with the new arrivals. [Disclaimer: I do not have inside sources and am not predicting it, just saying IF we lose anyone other than KOS, KS + Crofts from Mid, i think Fox is most likely]

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]You seriously think we need ANOTHER midfielder!![/quote]

I know its a challenge but read my post again & try to understand. I said we could do with a holding midfield player / ball-winner

Crofts struggled last season, Johnson had his moments & was very useful in terms of harrying & closing down opposition but we require more than just that if we''re to progress.

If we lose Fox then we lose our only player who can play the quarter back role that the Euro''s showed was so important to modern football at the top level. If we have any aspirations of being able to control the ball for long periods we need a player who can sit at the back of the midfield and distribute the ball throughout the team. We have some great midfielders now but none of the others come close to Fox''s range of passing.

I really don''t see the need for a "destroyer", the games moving away from that sort of player. If we are thinking of bringing any more midfielders we should look for another player in Fox''s mould.

As I just said its a case of upgrading on Johnson/Crofts, we need a ball-winner in the side for most games & he was superb in the games at WHL & Emirates in particular but his lack of composure on the ball is a real limitation.

i wondered what the whingers and whiners would come up with next

Last season''s continual bleat that we would be doomed because we were not signing expreienced Premier League players was well and truly blown out of the water

This summer''s bleat about us not having any monrey to spend or not signing players has already been blown out of the water,so we now have

We have signed too many midfield players ! ! !

Of course the danger of scrabbling around for something to attack the club with is you can''t be too choosy about how stupid your squeak is

This one assumes that no players will be out injured or suspended, we will play four midfield players but have no midfield substitutes. We will not want the option of playing two wide players or flooding the midfield.

What i don''t hear is the squeaking about keepers .. yet. we have three players there for every place

I don''t think for a second Pilkington, let alone Howson is going anywhere. They are competent players who control their positions really well. I don''t see a plethora of options in the midfield anything to bemoan?

Besides, I loved Howson so much I got his name on the back of the new shirt - so if by some ridiculous twist of fate Howson does depart... I''ll be mad.

I will eat my hat, dry, no sauce if it does come to pass that we lose Howson or Pilks but c''mon, if we do ship out two midfield players, most likely crofts and smith. That will leave us with eight...in this modern game with so ,any teams playing so many different formations even within a single game, you need a multitude of midfield options, in fact I think it''s possibly the most important. I also think we may ship out a striker or two yet, chris Martin just doesn''t seem to cutie for me and I think from what I''ve seen now, Vaughan is a better option than Jackson as much as I think he''s done his best for us. Defensively I ink if turner signs that''ll be us done, so we may well see another striker in on loan at some point...

So why exactly does signing a winger mean we are about to lose arguably our best central midfielder exactly? Struggling to see the logic there!

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

Yellow Rider - you can''t have too many quality players ... especially in the middle of the park.

Injuries, suspensions, loss of form and the need for variable formations will all take their toll during a tough season.

[/quote]

I couldn''t agree more. I think having the numbers in the squad is crucial to survival in the second season. You need cover for every position so having 8-10 midfielders is not that big an issue. The modern day managers job is to keep the whole squad happy, something PL was very good at. From what I hear of CH he''s a great man manager too. If all of them played half the premiership games this season it would be far better than what they''ve come from, and probably better than they''d get elsewhere

In all honesty, only if a 10 million pound plus offer from a top 10 side would you consider selling Pilks or Howson!

Out the door may well go a couple players if we sign Snoddy! Crofts and King of Spain and Smith and Adeyemi on loan!

As for Jackson, not unless it''s part of a swap for Rhodes!