Sign in to follow this  
jackryan007

Next Signing

Just been going through the squad for the coming season - it looks like we have two players in every position plus several who

can play in a number of positions (maybe another left back could be needed). Do we keep the remaining budget until January or

spend now? Maybe a new striker with genuine pace?

Also, just watched the you tube footage of Robert Snodgrass - he looks a class player espcially!

Young understudy left back to cover Tierney, though this might be done as a loan.

Otherwise, keep the rest for January to cover for injuries and/or take advantage of attractive opportunities (Leeds bound to be wanting to sell another by then).

I reckon we could do with a midfielder or two.....

Really though - A left back would be ideal. Although if I remember correctly, Hughton said Whittaker can play anywhere across the back 4. So maybe he is considered backup for Tierney? Also Lapps can play there I guess..

Would still get another striker in, be it permanent or on loan. Holt, Morison, Vaughan & Jackson is alright, but could still do with a bit extra I think. If Holt & Morison get injured/suspended we''re pretty knackered strike wise.

Unless we use all those midfielders to play the 4-6-0 in that situation.

The problem is we already have 25 players in the squad WITHOUT Turner

neither does this include K Smith, Adeyami, Francombe and Steer who I think are all under the age 21 limit

so the more important question is who will have to be moved out to make way for Turner ?

I would suggest other further movers will be from Barnett, Lappin, Crofts and maybe Jackson

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="marvin the martian"]Russ Martin and S Whittaker ?[/quote]Russ wasn''t very good in that position last season.[/quote]
Didn''t he only play there in the opening game against Wigan, and then whenever Naughton wasn''t available (ie. cups, or vs Spurs)?
Seemed to do ok against Celtic. Plus he improved with every game he played last season.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]I certainly think Barnett and Crofts, next in line for me would be Jackson.[/quote]

After letting Wilbraham leave we currently have: Holt, Morrison, Vaughan, Jackson and C.Martin as the strikers in the squad - it would be one hell of a risk to loose Jackson who played considerably more premiership football last year than Martin and who demonstrated that his pace and hold up play could frazzle some of the better teams such as Spurs.

I doubt we would let our fastest attacking player leave.

In my mind we need a left back first and that could mean saying goodbye to ''The King of Spain''. We may still also want Curtis Davis and I can see Barnett going if we did.

I think it is getting to be a one in, one out situation now. If you had to name the weaker members of the squad in not particular order I would go for:

K. Smith, Lappin, Barnett, C.Martin and maybe Crofts.

Otherwise the other players have been too involved to be as easily dissmissive about them.

Russ played 33 games last year, and quite a few were at RB, especially towards the end of the season. Just off the top of my head he played Spurs, Man City and Blackburn. He got rotated out of the team for Liverpool but came on after about 10 mins when Drury got injured and Naughton switched to LB. I think he played as a right wing back when we went to Fulham as well.

Martin looked good at centre back and although not a world class RB I''m not sure why you feel he wasn''t very good Tom?

[quote user="City1st"]

The problem is we already have 25 players in the squad WITHOUT Turner

neither does this include K Smith, Adeyami, Francombe and Steer who I think are all under the age 21 limit

so the more important question is who will have to be moved out to make way for Turner ?

I would suggest other further movers will be from Barnett, Lappin, Crofts and maybe Jackson

[/quote]

This is not true. We have 24 players in the squad. Turner, if he signs, will be the twenty fifth.We have 24 players plus 5 who don''t count as they are too young - Francomb, Smith, Adeyemi, Rudd and Steer.So AFTER Turner, it will become "one in, one out".

[quote user="Monty13"]Russ played 33 games last year, and quite a few were at RB, especially towards the end of the season. Just off the top of my head he played Spurs, Man City and Blackburn. He got rotated out of the team for Liverpool but came on after about 10 mins when Drury got injured and Naughton switched to LB. I think he played as a right wing back when we went to Fulham as well.

Martin looked good at centre back and although not a world class RB I''m not sure why you feel he wasn''t very good Tom?[/quote]I agree that he did well as a central defender, but I didn''t think he was good enough to consider playing regularly as a first-choice right-back.

GKs = Ruddy, Rudd (and Steer as U21 understudies)

RB = Whittaker, R Martin

LB = Tierney, Lappin

CB = R Bennet, Turner, Ayala, Ward, Barnett

RW = E Bennet

LW = Pilkington, Snodgrass

CM = Fox, Johnson, Howson, Crofts, Butterfield, Smith, Hoolahan

ST = Holt, Morison, Jackson, Vaughan, C Martin

For me it''s the centre of midfield that looks overloaded (particularly as the wide players can play in the middle too) and as much as I love every player that pulls on the yellow and green, I don''t think Crofts and Smith are quite up to the Premiership. I''d also jettison C Martin if we got another striker.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

GKs = Ruddy, Rudd (and Steer as U21 understudies)

RB = Whittaker, R Martin

LB = Tierney, Lappin

CB = R Bennet, Turner, Ayala, Ward, Barnett

RW = E Bennet

LW = Pilkington, Snodgrass

CM = Fox, Johnson, Howson, Crofts, Butterfield, Smith, Hoolahan

ST = Holt, Morison, Jackson, Vaughan, C Martin

For me it''s the centre of midfield that looks overloaded (particularly as the wide players can play in the middle too) and as much as I love every player that pulls on the yellow and green, I don''t think Crofts and Smith are quite up to the Premiership. I''d also jettison C Martin if we got another striker.

[/quote]

surman?

Ridiculous idea to let Simeon go, unless CH has a replacement of the same calibre lined up.  I feel we need a RB rather than LB, someone to cover both would be nice I guess that is Naughton, can we afford probably not.  Loanees ? RB at Liverpool has been suggested and a striker however will he be released as 3rd or 4th choice striker.

Need to unload Crofts, and or Barnett/Ward to make room in squad.  

Have to agree with Tom about the RB position. I think a lot of posters have short memories, R Martin was definitely not a prem quality RB last season, i love the guy and think he was exceptional whilst playing CB, but caught too often against some of the classy prem wingers. I really don''t know much about Whittaker so i am reserving judgement, but i think the loss of Naughton will hit us hard this year.

Agree with Pete.I think, maybe get an understudy to Tierney on loan if all else fails., if possible look out for a striker if needed in January

For freeing up space, surely it''s no contest - Barnett has to be the first out the door. Nice guy but very clearly not up to the Premiership pace - Wouldnt be surprised if he''s given a free transfer somewhere shortly before the deadline. Ward I think could be let go too really, again not really good enough for this level and that still leaves us Turner, Ayala, Bennett; plus the two rightbacks who can cover the center if needed.

I wonder also if Francomb - who''s outside the squad limit, I think - might get a few more chances this season? Looked decent on loan at Hibs last season and presumably wouldn''t have got a new contract if there wasn''t at least some belief that he''s got what it takes to succeed...

Why do people talk about Ward leaving when he''s just been given a new contract? Now that Turner is on board, I suspect that Barnett will leave or go out on loan. City have 3 RBs so I can''t see any more there. I would like to see a LB, though, taking Barnett''s place.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Why do people talk about Ward leaving when he''s just been given a new contract? Now that Turner is on board, I suspect that Barnett will leave or go out on loan. City have 3 RBs so I can''t see any more there. I would like to see a LB, though, taking Barnett''s place.[/quote]Why would Barnett want to go out on-loan when he seems settled with his family in Norfolk?

The answer is becoming increasingly clear...  Naughton ... right back and left back covered* best full back we had last season

*and even plays central defence if called upon if I remember one game correctly

I want to see Korey given a proper chance at this level as he didn''t really get one and has plenty of desire and enthusiasm and I think his energy levels will be very useful plus he proved he has decent technique at Barnsley with some good assists and general play early on. I think CH will give him a chance and he''ll hopefully reward his faith. I think Chrissy has had way more chances that Korey (plus Korey was injured for a while not long ago). I think Lapps may leave too if we get another LB in, which we need really. LB and DM for me then maybe striker if Chrissy goes

I get the impression that people might be thinking inside the box too much.

Looking at what we have now you could easily play 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 . . . . . .

Attacking midfield wise you have Butterfield and Hoolahan. I can see both of these deployed behind Holt.

But then I can also see a 4-2-3-1 with Howson and Johnson sitting with Snodgrass infront of them and take a choice of which wingers you want. I''m really starting to get a buzz about our midfield and how strong it is getting.

Apparently we''re interested in another 3 players. Jack Robinson has been rumoured as a loan signing to cover Tierney at left-back. Apparently 1 more midfielder and A.N. Other - I''d imagine a striker

[quote user="York Canary"]I want to see Korey given a proper chance at this level as he didn''t really get one and has plenty of desire and enthusiasm and I think his energy levels will be very useful plus he proved he has decent technique at Barnsley with some good assists and general play early on [/quote]

Yes, I agree. Would love to see Korey given a chance. He''d definitely give it 110%

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Why do people talk about Ward leaving when he''s just been given a new contract? Now that Turner is on board, I suspect that Barnett will leave or go out on loan. City have 3 RBs so I can''t see any more there. I would like to see a LB, though, taking Barnett''s place.[/quote]

because he is awful

Hughton will be assessing the side at this time, players will come into his office asking about where they will fit in and maybe have had their head turned as they want first team football.Finally players will leave our club with a fee now, we have had so much dross over the years that we have had to leave on free transfers as contracts expired. It will be nice to see a few players move on, for their careers and thank them for their time at the club.One thing we know is that you cannot go into the season thinking, ''oh we can wait till January''. Ashton has proved that, if a player is available bring them in.I do think we need a striker, defensive midfielder and full back to have a full deck of cards and cover across the board. But maybe Hughton has seen something, Lappin covering full back till January, or the midfield is set. Who knows... but it comes down to his wisdom. I would like to see that strong robust central midfielder and key striker at this stage. I do think we need some other genuine strike threat. It would seem we have not stretched the budget already and bought wisely. So lets hope their is some other good news over the next weeks.