Sign in to follow this  
Renskay

Brad Jones Linked

Here''s the link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2180791/Liverpool-sell-Alberto-Aquilani-Brad-Jones.html

Don''t know how much truth is in it but if it''s true I would imagine it means one of Rudd or Steer will go out on loan and Jones will just be cover for Ruddy

Where''d you see that? I guess if Jed or Decs goes out on loan then it''d make sense. Not a bad keeper and has a bit of prem experience, but as long as it wasn''t to replace Decs or Jed

Was not Jed Steer on a 24 hour recall on his last loan - much as many goalies are, so it would seem rather odd

It''s not beyond the realms of possibility you know.. I''m sure CH and Dave Watson have seen Decs and Jed and know they need first team games now to kick on. Decs especially as he''s older now and had a game or 2 for us last season and could do with some regular action for a lower league team. Jed has already done well for Yeovil so could surely do it again. I''m all for giving them experience as you don''t want an inexperienced youngster as backup really and they''re not learning anything by not playing.

[quote user="York Canary"]It''s not beyond the realms of possibility you know.. I''m sure CH and Dave Watson have seen Decs and Jed and know they need first team games now to kick on. Decs especially as he''s older now and had a game or 2 for us last season and could do with some regular action for a lower league team. Jed has already done well for Yeovil so could surely do it again. I''m all for giving them experience as you don''t want an inexperienced youngster as backup really and they''re not learning anything by not playing.[/quote]Not bad thinking by Hughton if true.  Send one of our own out to get experience. And get somebody else''s to warm our bench.

Have to say we don''t have a great history with Australian goalkeepers

For those that remember Theoklitis

Take it from me, Brad Jones is a very good keeper. He has EPL and International experience and is light years ahead of Theo and would be a great addition for us.

CH knows what he is doing and if he is thinking of bringing in another keeper to challenge Ruddy then that can only be good for us as a team. 

[quote user="Rob"]Have to say we don''t have a great history with Australian goalkeepers

For those that remember Theoklitis[/quote]Hardly a bad history with only 1 keeper though! Brad Jones is a different class without a doubt - literally leagues apart

One problem where dec &jed under the pl rules are under 21, Jones would have to be named in the 25. Means one less place for outfield players. Looks like some will have to go especially if we sign anyone else

Don''t really see the point to be honest. Would mean spending decent money which could be invested in other areas of the squad. Surely the answer is to get one of Rudd or Steer out on loan at any given time and have the other one on the bench as cover. If something happens then we can recall the one of them.

There would be only be two sensible reasons to do this: 1) CH/DW don''t think Rudd/Steer would be up to an extended run in the side in the event of an injury to Ruddy2) Despite JR being first choice, we have no experienced keeper as backup or to provide serious competition and the mgt team therefore think we need this for JR to keep improving.All that being said, aside from the original article, I can''t see any other sources suggesting this is likely which could suggest either a simple stab in the dark around a potential move here, or that someone has some inside info that no-one else has...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]There would be only be two sensible reasons to do this:

1) CH/DW don''t think Rudd/Steer would be up to an extended run in the side in the event of an injury to Ruddy

2) Despite JR being first choice, we have no experienced keeper as backup or to provide serious competition and the mgt team therefore think we need this for JR to keep improving.

All that being said, aside from the original article, I can''t see any other sources suggesting this is likely which could suggest either a simple stab in the dark around a potential move here, or that someone has some inside info that no-one else has...
[/quote]

There is another sensible reason for this move, or for something similar. That it would allow Rudd AND Steer, who now both need to be playing first team football, to go out on loan, with recall clauses.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

There is another sensible reason for this move, or for something similar. That it would allow Rudd AND Steer, who now both need to be playing first team football, to go out on loan, with recall clauses.

[/quote]

That was my thinking too.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

That was my thinking too.

[/quote]

And mine.

Mark .Y.

If true, it would make good sense to me.

Rudd & Steer have not had - nor are they likely to get - anywhere near enough competitive games to improve what they are capable of right now. Fraser Forster showed what can happen when a young keeper gets a proper run - and wasn''t it Hughton who authorised FF''s loan move to us in the first place? If so, it shows the way CH''s mind works regarding goalkeepers...

It would surprise me if we did bring another keeper in simply because neither Rudd or Steer counts against the squad limit of 25 whereas Jones or another keeper would, and we''re already top heavy on numbers.