Sign in to follow this  
Canary Ascent

You're the gaffer - your squad?

The difficulty in deciding a first 11 just shows our squads depth and that can only be excellent. I expect a 4 5 1 to be our main formation this season, with a slight variation and a 4 3 3 (like Arsenal) being another possibilty. With that in mind a have two possible line-ups
               Ruddy
R Martin  Turner   Bennett   Tierney
        Howson   Johnson
Bennett    Snodgrass    Pilkington
                  Holt
4 3 3:
               Ruddy
E Bennett   Turner  R Bennett   Tierney
   Howson     Johnson    Surman
Vaughan                     Snodgrass
                    Holt
I think i prefer the look of the 4 5 1, but i imagine retaining possession well with the 4 3 3 while also not having the issue of Holt being too far away from the wide players if we do have to play the ball long, too many times playing the lone striker under Lambert that gap between Morrison/Holt and the midfield was huge.
I also think at the minute it would be very hard to leave Vaughan out and he may fit into a 4 4 2 more naturally, in all honesty i expect us to chop and change a fair bit this season, from Hughton''s press conferences it seems he likes to stick with a formation if on a good run, but mix it up if the clubs form is indifferent.

[quote user="Wing Wang Otter"]------------------------------Ruddy--------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------- Whittaker------Bennett-------Turner-------Tierney-- ------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------Howson-------Fox---------------------- --Snodgrass-----------------------------------Pilkington --------------------------Bennett------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------Holt--------------------------------- Maybe having Hoolahan instead of Bennett playing behind Holt but apart from that most players are fairly obvious starters for me, would consider Vaughan definitely but not in this formation[/quote]

How can you leave R Martin out?

I think it depends on who the opponent is and whether it''s home or away. For Fulham away on form to date I would go with:

__________________________Ruddy_______________________

__R.Martin_____R. Bennett_________Ayala________Tierney

_______________Howson_________Johnson_______________

__E.Bennett_____________Snodgrass____________Surman

______________________Vaughan_______________________

This on the basis that Howson, Johnson and Snodgrass should be able to link up well and Bennett and Surman have a defensive edge when tracking back to help the defence. Vaughan for his pace and goal-scoring sharpness at the moment. This could all change after Ajax, though, and CH may well want Turner''s experience at the back with Ayala as sub.

For QPR at home, I would go with:

__________________________Ruddy_______________________

__R.Martin_____R. Bennett_________Ayala________Tierney

_______________Howson___________Fox_______________

__Snodgrass____________Hoolahan_____________Pilkington

_______________________Holt_______________________

This for greater goal-scoring potential and the ability to switch to 4-4-2 by bringing Vaughan on for Hoolahan, though CH may well want to retain the same players if it goes well at Fulham. Too many uncertainties to make bold predictions at theis stage, but I like the greater range of possibilities!

I''d go with:

Ruddy

Martin, R Bennett, Turner, Tierney

Fox, Howson

Snodgrass, Hoolahan, Surman

Holt

Subs: Steer, Ayala, Whittaker, Pilkington, E Bennett, Vaughan, Jackson.

Hard luck on Morison, C Martin, Johnson, Ward and Barnett not to make the bench but shows the quality in the squad.