Sign in to follow this  
Canary Ascent

You're the gaffer - your squad?

So, with the squad coming together nicely ahead of our first game, I''ve been giving my 1st and 2nd string preference some thoughts and who I would play and who I would leave out. My preferences are below. Feel free to add your own.

1st Team:

Ruddy

Martin A.N Other Turner A.N Other

Howson A.N. Other

Snodgrass Pilkington

Hoolahan

Holt

2nd Eleven:

Rudd

Whittaker Ayala R.Bennett Tierney

Fox Johnson

E.Bennett Surman

Butterfield

Vaughan

Reserve:

Morison

Jackson

Loan:

Steer

K. Smith

Adeyemi

Surplus:

Barnett

Ward

Crofts

Lappin

Martin

I think we have a very strong squad with good quality competition in virtually every position. As you can see from my line ups IMO I would still like to see us sign a left-back, a centre half and a defensive midfielder with the capability to push for a start in the 1st eleven. I would be happy to see any of the 22 in the 1st eleven this season and think they would all do a great job.

IMO we have 5 players who are surplus to requireents and I would look to move on. I like all 5 players and they have been great for us but I believe the progress that has been made with the squad has left these players behind a bit.

I just wouldnt want to pick the starting 11 for the first game but if I was pushed it would be something like this

Ruddy

R Martin - Ayala - C Davies( or Bennett ) Tierney

Snodgrass - Johnson - Howson - Pilkington

Then 2 from Holt, Morison, Vaughan (whoever CH feels will get the job done)

Probably wont be even close and will probably change my mind after Ive been to the two home friendlies  [:)]

my current team would be:

starting 11:

Ruddy

Whitaker R.Martin R.Bennett Tierney

Snodgrass Pilkington

Howson Butterfield

Vaughn/Jackson

Holt

Ayala A.N Other Barnett A.N Other

Fox Johnson E.Bennett Surman

Hoolahan

Vaughn/Jackson

Loan:

Steer

K. Smith

Adeyemi

Surplus:

Ward

Crofts

Lappin

C.Martin

Morrison

cant make my mind up if I prefer Jackson or Vaughn I like them both and both has some nice pace.

then buy replacements for Morrison, Ward and replace Lappin with another defender

I like your team CA and it would be similar to mine if I opted for a 4-4-2. I just think with the amount of midfielders we have we are most likely to be lining up in a 4-5-1 this season.

We have so many options this season and hopefully still have time to add a little bit more quality at the back.

I would be surprised (Ricardo''s inside information notwithstanding) if we have finished our signings. Various reasons. Firstly, Hughton must still be assessing the squad. DVDs and training are fine, but not as instructive as watching players in proper games. Secondly, so far he has hardly let anyone go (permanently or on loan) from what is becoming a bloated squad, at least in some areas. The few departures were all predictable (Drury possibly apart). Players who were not PL standard. Thirdly, there are still five weeks to the transfer deadline. It is the nature of the business that some deals get done late, and have a knock-on effect on clubs lower down the food chain. And that particulalrly applies to loan deals. Last season we had two loan players. So far none.

Agreed PurpleCanary and I would still like to see us strengthen, particularly in defence. We let in a lot of goals last season and I know there is an argument for this being the result of our attacking philosophy but I''d still like to see us improve.

I would say a left back is a given with the lack of numbers in this area assuming Whittaker was brought in for competition at right back. Even Whittaker may yet be out for longer than expected - we''ve had very little information on his injury.

my current team now with Tuner included:

starting 11:

Ruddy

Whitaker R.Martin Turner/R.Bennett Tierney

Snodgrass Pilkington

Howson Butterfield

Vaughn/Jackson

Holt

second 11:

Rudd

Ayala Barnett Turner/R.Bennet A.N Other

Fox Johnson Surman E.Bennett

Hoolahan

Vaughn/Jackson

Loan:

Steer

K. Smith

Adeyemi

Surplus:

Ward

Crofts

Lappin

C.Martin

Morrison

cant make my mind up if I prefer Jackson or Vaughn I like them both and both has some nice pace.

and would have to see Turner play befor choosing between Turner and R.Bennet

then buy replacements for Morrison, Ward and replace Lappin with another defender

FED UP WITH PEOPLE WRITING OFF WARD, BARNETT, LAPPIN, MORISON, JACKSON, C. MARTIN, CROFTS, SMITH, SURMAN, JOHNSON, HOLT, FOX, VAUGHAN, ETC ETC.

AS FOR THAT A. N. OTHER....................................HE''LL  BE NO GOOD EITHER!!

[:S]

[quote user="Canary Ascent"]Agreed PurpleCanary and I would still like to see us strengthen, particularly in defence. We let in a lot of goals last season and I know there is an argument for this being the result of our attacking philosophy but I''d still like to see us improve. I would say a left back is a given with the lack of numbers in this area assuming Whittaker was brought in for competition at right back. Even Whittaker may yet be out for longer than expected - we''ve had very little information on his injury.[/quote]

I would agree. That could possibly be a loan deal. But my sense is there is still money to spend, and I am not convinced about the quality/depth of our strikers, Vaughan notwithstanding. Unless Hughton is envisaging using a one striker system pretty much all the time. I think there may be one big signing yet to come.

im not wrighting any one off! the first team i picked is in my opinion the best 11 we have, my second 11 i feel i would be quite happy with them coming out as a starting 11 as well, the loan choices dont get games here any way! and my surplus I think most people would agree either didn''t have a grate first PL campaign or just are not good enough for the PL if u feel im wrighting them off i do apologise for my opinion!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Canary Ascent"]Agreed PurpleCanary and I would still like to see us strengthen, particularly in defence. We let in a lot of goals last season and I know there is an argument for this being the result of our attacking philosophy but I''d still like to see us improve. I would say a left back is a given with the lack of numbers in this area assuming Whittaker was brought in for competition at right back. Even Whittaker may yet be out for longer than expected - we''ve had very little information on his injury.[/quote]

I would agree. That could possibly be a loan deal. But my sense is there is still money to spend, and I am not convinced about the quality/depth of our strikers, Vaughan notwithstanding. Unless Hughton is envisaging using a one striker system pretty much all the time. I think there may be one big signing yet to come.

[/quote]

I heard we still have three signings to come!

Sorry to write players off Haddock but it''s all about opinions and IMO the players I have listed are not at the level of others in our squad. In your opinion they might be and that''s what is great about football.

Ultimately it''s not my opinion or your opinion that counts but on a message board we are allowed to discuss our opinions.

In my opinion A.N other is a great player who will improve our squad immensely ;-)

It''s a toughie, I think. But another left back is a must. I opted for a 4-5-1 since we have a nice midfield bunch to pick from. It shows first and second choices, roughly, of what I would do... Something like this anyway. Not to forget other players like Moro and Jackson who I wouldnt want to discount just yet. In 5 minutes I''ll probably change my mind.[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WwRzz.png[/IMG]

My team would be

Ruddy

Martin, Bennett, Ayala, Tierney.

Johnson

Howson, Snodgrass

Benno                              Pilks

Vaughan

Squad would be. GKx2, Def x8, Mid x9, Cf x5

GKs - Ruddy, Rudd. (Steer)*

Defs- Tierney, Ayala, Bennett, Martin, Whittaker, Turner, Barnett, Lappin/New LB.

Mids - Howson, Johnson, Snodgrass, Pilks, Benno, Hoolahan, Butterfield, Crofts, Surman,

Cfs - Vaughan, Moro, Holt, Jackson, Martin

*Not old enough to count as a registered player.

Would leave 1 player to fill the squad. Possible loanee?!

----------------------Ruddy-----------------

Whittaker--R.Bennett--Turner--Tierney

---------------------Johnson-----------------

-------------Howson-----Butterfield-------

Snodgrass------------------------Pilkington                             

-----------------------Holt--------------------Subs: Rudd, R.Martin, Ayala, Fox, Surman, E.Bennett, Vaughan.

From his brief appearance yesterday Elliott Bennet must play either as cover for RB maybe even RB or Wing Back or Right Wing.  EB to be our best player next season, Pilko looked uninterested but where will Snoddy play either LW or in the hole.

ruddyruddsteertom hatelyr. martinwhittakerbennetc.dawson (would be an expensive one)turnertierneysurmansnodgrassfoxthomas hitszlsperger (hes on a free transfer!!! snap him up imo)peter whittingham (2 to 3 mill?)johnsonbennettpilkingtonhowsonbutterfieldholtvaughanmorisonjacksonmacheda & jack robinson on loan

sell ward, ayala, c.martin, barnett,adeyami,lappin, and loan out smith

[quote user="Canary Ascent"]I like your team CA and it would be similar to mine if I opted for a 4-4-2. I just think with the amount of midfielders we have we are most likely to be lining up in a 4-5-1 this season. We have so many options this season and hopefully still have time to add a little bit more quality at the back.[/quote]

Thanks but I forgot about Turner so if we dont get Curtis Davies it would be Turner there instead of young Ryan Bennett as he is more experienced in the Premier.

Also forgot about Fox who I thought was a class act in lots of games last season so its a real delimma, glad its not my problem.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Canary Ascent"]I like your team CA and it would be similar to mine if I opted for a 4-4-2. I just think with the amount of midfielders we have we are most likely to be lining up in a 4-5-1 this season. We have so many options this season and hopefully still have time to add a little bit more quality at the back.[/quote]

Thanks but I forgot about Turner so if we dont get Curtis Davies it would be Turner there instead of young Ryan Bennett as he is more experienced in the Premier.

Also forgot about Fox who I thought was a class act in lots of games last season so its a real delimma, glad its not my problem.

[/quote]

Are you two serious about leaving out Ryan and Elliott Bennett ?????? [:''(]

Its a difficult one Tilly, I like Ryan Bennett so would be happy with him and Turner or Ayla and Turner, as for Elliott Bennett another good one but if its him or Snodgrass then theres no choice for me.

What would you starting 11 be if you had to pick it today?

I rate both Ryan and Elliott Bennett but they wouldn''t make my 1st Eleven on paper. It shows how far we''ve come and the depth of the squad we have.

Good times if you ask me; when we have that calibre of player in the squad and not necessarily in the 1st eleven.

At the moment my preference is;

Ruddy

Whittaker       R.Martin     Turner      Tierney

Snodgrass      Howson      Fox         Pilkington

Holt        Vaughan

Subs: Rudd, R.Bennett, E.Bennett, Hoolahan, Johnson, Morison, Jackson

Harsh on Elliott Bennett but I''d rather have Snodgrass.  I prefer R.Martin at centre back and I think that him and Turner would make a good partnership although they could lack pace.  And Vaughan is looking very sharp at the moment so he is a definite starter at the moment imo.  Other than that its fairly similar to last season.  One place I feel we really need to strengthen is left back, either cover for Tierney or someone better.  I also feel we may need another striker but we''re not desperate.

[quote user="Boyo"]

At the moment my preference is;

Ruddy

Whittaker       R.Martin     Turner      Tierney

Snodgrass      Howson      Fox         Pilkington

Holt        Vaughan

Subs: Rudd, R.Bennett, E.Bennett, Hoolahan, Johnson, Morison, Jackson    Harsh on Elliott Bennett but I''d rather have Snodgrass.  I prefer R.Martin at centre back and I think that him and Turner would make a good partnership although they could lack pace.  And Vaughan is looking very sharp at the moment so he is a definite starter at the moment imo.  Other than that its fairly similar to last season.  One place I feel we really need to strengthen is left back, either cover for Tierney or someone better.  I also feel we may need another striker but we''re not desperate.

[/quote]

Bennett was one of  our most improved players in the premiership last season.  Why would you want to leave him out?    Has the potential to be the player of the season imo.   He is gaining in confidence and the goal against Tottenham was sublime.   Play Snodgrass and Bennett.     Then add Howson and Butterfileld (or Surman or Fox) and Pilkington in a five man midfield. Plenty of goals there  plus one in form striker.   

I''m beginning to think that we need to use a variation on the diamond but instead of playing more ''central'' options like Surman, we should stick with Pilks and E.Bennett in wide positions, Howson in a defensive/box-to-box role and Snoddy in a free roaming position behind a front two of Holt and Vaughan.Snoddy will need to drop back more centrally when we''re out of possession to support Howson and allow us to keep the width on the wings, but should be our most advanced midfielder when on the attack.I see many going for 5 man midfields, but I can''t look past Vaughan for what he brings to the table, he''s arguably as quick as Jackson, but runs the channels better, has better link up play and can certainly finish better, and if he can help drag people out of position it only gives Holt more room to work and command the area, whereas I think a 5 man midfield would leave Holty isolated at times even with a man ''in the hole''.As it currently stands I''d probably favour something like this:RuddyR.Martin  -  R.Bennett  -  Turner  -  TierneyHowsonE.Bennett  - PilksSnoddyVaughan  -  HoltBench:RuddAyalaWhittakerJohnsonSurmanHoolahanMorisonWhen Butterfield is back from injury however things get more complicated and I think we''ll probably have to sacrifice E.Bennett to play Snoddy on the right and Butters through the centre.I''d be tempted to see EB play at RB however with R.Martin moved inside...

@ lake district canary

Its a tough call but in a 4-4-2 which is my prefered formation there is only space for one of them (unless you take out Pilks) and personally I rate Snodgrass a bit higher than Bennett.  It would be good to get Snodgrass, Bennett and Pilks all in the same team but if you did that then I don''t think you could have Howson and Butterfield.  I think you would need Fox or Johnson in there with one of them just to give us at least one defensive minded midfielder.  However I''m not a fan of 4-5-1 so 4-4-2 would be my prefered formation.

logically speaking, from all the midfield signings Hughton is making it must surely be erring on the side of 4-5-1, unless the pre-season form of Vaughan especially with goals like the one at P''Bro can persuade Hughton that 2 strikers is the way forward.

If 4-5-1 is Hughtons preferred option, supply and goals from the supporting midfielders is an absolute must, for those reasons I''d go for......

Ruddy

Martin       Bennett     Turner     Tierney

Howson     Johnson

Snodgrass         Hoolahan          Pilkington

Holt

Rudd,Whittaker,Fox,Surman,Bennett.E,Morison,Vaughan

------------------------------Ruddy---------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Whittaker------Bennett-------Turner-------Tierney--

---------------------Howson-------Fox----------------------

--Snodgrass-----------------------------------Pilkington

--------------------------Bennett------------------------------

----------------------------Holt---------------------------------

Maybe having Hoolahan instead of Bennett playing behind Holt but apart from that most players are fairly obvious starters for me, would consider Vaughan definitely but not in this formation