Sign in to follow this  
Chirping Canary

Who do you tip to go down?

For me, its the 3 W''s.

West Brom - Can''t see any particular squad morale/togetherness about them, will be very shaky, maybe a few high points, but nothing more.

West Ham - Yes, they have real quality and a good squad spirit and a good player in Carroll from their P.O.V. But, I think they''ll get Hammered (see what I did there) a couple of times as they''re hoofball system just will not work, with teams like Man City with Kompany and Lescott clearing things up.

Wigan - I know they''re relegation favourites almost every year now but I think this is the year, especially with players like Rodallega gone and Victor Moses potentially leaving.

I don''t think any surprise packages will go down but I think teams like Stoke, Sunderland and Fulham will struggle.

I think West Brom for sure, they haven''t strengthen their squad as of yet, and also I don''t think they have a good enough manager to keep them up. Southampton, from what I saw on Saturday they didn''t look that good and I don''t think they have a good team. I''d love for either QPR or Reading to get relegated.

ImDrunky are you basing your opinion on Southampton''s team on a pre-season friendly? Seems slightly odd, did our team look like mid table premiership standard last pre-season?

I''m going to go for WBA as well, very odd managerial appointment for me, they weren''t great last season, but they had Hodgson who is good at getting average players/teams to perform above their level. They could really sink this season, would not be surprised to see them bottom most of the season.

Wigan. They are probably going to lose Moses, have already lost Rodellega, can they replace those two? Martinez doesn''t appear to want to be there. And if they start off as poorly as they have in recent seasons, I think the above teams will have too much quality.

Reading. I would like to say QPR, but I think the overall quality they have will see them through. But Reading, despite a couple of decent signings and a good young manager, I just don''t think they''ll be able to stay up.

I think, as many have been saying already this league is a lot stronger, in the bottom half anyway. I think us, Swansea and QPR will all do as well (performance wise if nothing else) as last season, although if one of us is going to fail it''ll be Swansea, especially if they lose Allen after losing Sig... Don''t think they have the money to replace those two. Even if they do get the ridiculous £15 million being quoted. Fulham will still be decent even if Dempsey and/or Dempele do leave, Sunderland still have MoN, Villa now have Lambert and he could really push them on. Southampton I reckon will be a force to be reckoned with. Lambert will do as well as Holt did I think, and Lallana is a quality player. And West Ham have Big Sam who knows how to keep an average side going in the Premiership. I think promotion last season was probably harder for him than keeping West Ham up this season will be

Chirpy, two problems with your argument for Wet Spam.

1) Andy Carroll ain''t going there.

2) Didn''t they win the World Cup in ''66, surely they are too good to go down?

I''m basing it on their squad as well, I just don''t think it will be good enough to stay up. But that''s of course just my personal opinion.

[quote user="ImDrunky"]I''m basing it on their squad as well, I just don''t think it will be good enough to stay up. But that''s of course just my personal opinion. [/quote]

Well yeah, fair enough if you think that.

But for me, just looking at squads doesn''t work. We shouldn''t have stayed up, Swansea shouldn''t. We both certainly should have finished joint 10th on points. QPR shouldn''t have only just avoided relegation. Get what i''m saying?

Aren''t we all judging in this thread who''ll go down this season based on the squads? But I do understand what you''re saying and in some ways I kinda agree.I did honestly believe NCFC would stay up last season (maybe not mid table) based on our squad because I think we have a talented team. With Southampton it''s more of a feeling I think they won''t do well tbh.

Yeah I suppose we are.

Maybe I mean I''m not underestimating Southampton because there squad may look weak. And I thought we''d stay up last season, but from the outside looking in (e.g us looking at Southampton''s squad) I can''t imagine too many people thought we''d stay up. In fact the bookies don''t even think we''ll stay up this season either I believe...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Yeah I suppose we are.

Maybe I mean I''m not underestimating Southampton because there squad may look weak. And I thought we''d stay up last season, but from the outside looking in (e.g us looking at Southampton''s squad) I can''t imagine too many people thought we''d stay up. In fact the bookies don''t even think we''ll stay up this season either I believe...[/quote]Very true, I guess I shouldn''t really judge a team based on their players. But like I said before, it''s just one of those feelings I have about Southampton. I am most likely be wrong though lol.

With 4 weeks and an expected busy period of transfers to go, this is how I view it as it stands...

QPR have bought well and Hughes has enough about him to keep them safe with the players he has.

Villa under Lambert will re-discover mid-table

Sunderland won''t go down under O''Neill

Clubs that might be relegated: Wigan, West Ham, Reading, Norwich, Swansea, Southampton, Fulham, West Brom, and Stoke.

With not much difference in overall squad ability between the teams, it boils down to what the managers can get out of the teams.

Roberto Martinez

Sam Allaydyce

Brian Mcdermott

Chris Hughton

Michael Laudrap

Nigel Adkins

Martin Jol

Steve Clarke

Tony Pulis

A mixture of experience and bright, young managers...

West Brom, West Ham, and Reading/Swansea (New Owners / New Manager)

For me it''s also the three W''s - Wigan, West Ham and WBA, with one caveat.

If Wigan pull off their annual great escape, I think Southampton could be the third.

Norwich. We still need to sign at least 12 new players including a left back, defensive midfielder, a striker, anyone who''s better than we already have, and Clint Dempsey.

Swansea , West Brom and hopefully one of the 3 promoted sides but i would be lying if i said i was not worried about us.

The majority of the second half was played in the Norwich half and we were chasing shadows. We couldn''t string three or four passes together, their goalkeeper never had to make one save in the second half .Had it been a league game Ajax would have scored several more. Oh and there are far better sides in the Premier league.

With a month of the transfer window left....

Wigan - As their star performer who got them out of trouble was Moses and he looks like he''s off

West Brom - Surprising this one but if Odemwingie is off and they''ve got a bit of an unknown manager. I quite like West Brom so it would be a shame.

Fulham - One team always comes out of nowhere and surprises everyone by getting relegated so why not Fulham? They''ve lost Andy Johnson, Danny Murphy, Pogrebnyak and look likely to lose Dempsey. They struggled in fits and spurts last season too...

Would absolutely love QPR to go down but they''re spending big. Similarly Swansea might struggle without Rodgers and may be ''worked out'' but Laudrup might give them an extra dimension and that Michu bloke is apparently quality. Reading and Southampton are spending big, WHam! will just have enough about them to squeak it.

[quote user="yellowarmy"]Norwich. We still need to sign at least 12 new players including a left back, defensive midfielder, a striker, anyone who''s better than we already have, and Clint Dempsey.[/quote]

Whatever you say BW.

OT: Southampton, Reading and Swansea

It''s true they ran us ragged second half, but I doubt there are many better teams than that in the Premier.

West Ham will go down, West Brom and one other...

The teams that will stay up are the ones that will show the most collective spirit over the whole season.  The ones that are likely to struggle imo are those that don''t have that.    Therefore,  I think QPR, Villa, and WestBrom will struggle. 

Slightly surprised by how many people are tipping Wigan for the drop. Last season they changed to a 3-5-2 system and it yielded excellent results. I think they won something like 7 of their last 9 matches.

[quote user="ridgeman"]The majority of the second half was played in the Norwich half and we were chasing shadows. We couldn''t string three or four passes together, their goalkeeper never had to make one save in the second half .Had it been a league game Ajax would have scored several more. Oh and there are far better sides in the Premier league.[/quote]I''m sure if they could have scored more than they would have, league match or not. Ajax could easily be a top 4 club in the premier league.

If we can take points from the big teams and win against teams around us, then we will be fine.